Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I figure if an application is worth it I'll gladly pay to see to it that the advertisements go away. What ticks me though is when a developer charges a dollar for an application and then six months later puts advertisements in it and asks for an additional dollar in order to remove the advertisement.

Last edited:

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
The way to become rich is to invent a way to automatically detect ads. On the web this is easy.

This is already available for free through Glimmer Blocker. Just install it on an OS X box and then use it as the web proxy for your iPhone/iPad devices. Mine blocks iAds, all the admob garbage that other iOS apps use, and even cydia ads. In fact this is a far better method of blocking ads than the super lousy AdBlock that is not free and for sale through cydia. If I'm out somewhere and using 3G, then I just VPN into my home box and let it block the ads. This way, I don't spend my precious 3G bandwidth downloading craptastic ads.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Talk about desperate.

1)2010 we were in a far worse economy compared to today and Apple price gouges and obviously gets very little buy-in...
2)Today Apple cuts the fee to 1/10th the price of 2010...
3)Makes you wonder how greedy Apple is, eh?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Talk about desperate.

1)2010 we were in a far worse economy compared to today and Apple price gouges and obviously gets very little buy-in...
2)Today Apple cuts the fee to 1/10th the price of 2010...
3)Makes you wonder how greedy Apple is, eh?

It's Capitalism. Apple dropped their line into the lake and pulled it back up to add bait when things were not biting. The idea is maximizing profit margins so starting high and working your way down is a good way to do it.

I'd like to see different pricing structures, though. For small businesses how in the world were they supposed to come up with one million papers? One hundred thousand is a lot more reasonable, but as a universal price it's still not there, yet. This is what I would say is reasonable for the little man.

$3,500 = One month credit.
$10,000 = Three month credit.
$25,000 = One year credit.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I don't think I've ever seen an app with 1/4 screen ads most are smaller and are a banner at the top. The only ones that annoy me are on games like words with friends where they make you watch an ad.

Regardless if they bug you that much support the dev and buy the ad free version

I would, but it's a pain buying iTunes with Paypal cash.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Apple is out of touch. A typical minimum buy is 10k with a few premium sites like NYT and Yahoo premium placements requiring 25k. Out of the clients I work with we are lucky to spend 50k with a single site. I can think of one client where we spend above 100k with a single site and this is after we have optimized and shifted budgets to them, not on an initial buy.

twilson

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
bring it to OSX and i'll switch back to Windows

How is people can make such irrational leaps.

Besides the desktop arena on ANY OS is already polluted by ad's thanks to Google in the web browser and crappy adware (especially on Windows). Or are we ignoring the fact that those exist and "don't count"?

----------

I'd like to see different pricing structures, though. For small businesses how in the world were they supposed to come up with one million papers? One hundred thousand is a lot more reasonable, but as a universal price it's still not there, yet. This is what I would say is reasonable for the little man.

$3,500 = One month credit.
$10,000 = Three month credit.
$25,000 = One year credit.

Problem with the "small business" pricing is it becomes affordable for all manner of sh**e to get in the ad space. You only have to look at Google ads to see why that can be bad.

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
I still think that the original iAd idea was win-win-win.

Developers offer the app for free with good-looking, less intrusive ads.
Users get the app for free.
Apple and the developer earn cash.

Developers offer the app for a price, completely add free.
Users pays for the app.
Apple and the developer earn cash.

Sounds basic and effective, right? If people hate ads, buy the full / premium version. If people hate paying, live with the app.

Maybe Apple should release some sort of iAd Author software, so companies can create good-looking, non-intrusive ads.

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I can spend $10 and get an ad on Facebook, and specify all kinds of demographic/geographic/social/etc. parameters for my audience. And yes, I've done this effectively.

And no, this isn't an ad for Facebook, just pointing out that $100k minimum vs. spend a few highly targeted dollars is a vast difference.

I've never seen an iAd that was even remotely tailored to my interests. Then again, there must be a bunch of "singles" websites willing to pay $$$$ to post ads to married Facebook users.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
bring it to OSX and i'll switch back to Windows

Same.

I already have to hack Windows Messenger to remove the adverts and I'll do the same to any application that also tries it.

Also I like iAds. They tell me that Apple isn't all-knowing and perfect.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
How is people can make such irrational leaps.

Besides the desktop arena on ANY OS is already polluted by ad's thanks to Google in the web browser and crappy adware (especially on Windows). Or are we ignoring the fact that those exist and "don't count"?

Adblock on any desktop OS will make your web browsing experience very enjoyable.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
h ****! Googling right away.

-___- It says I have to be 21.

Weird. That must be new, I wonder why though. You could always get a PayPal debit card and use that. If you go into iTunes and go to your account on there for payment method it says you have to be over 21? I could understand 18 but over 21 is just odd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.