Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Of those features, only the camera is really useful. We're at the point with PPI that it's become a "megapixel" war. Most people can't see the pixels at 300ppi, so going to 441 ppi is just overkill. It's the same with the 8-core processor. What exactly are people running on their phones that even requires 2 or 4 cores, much less 8? I thought the S3 already has 2GB RAM (and again, what are people running), as well as LTE and Android 4.2

I somewhat agree, I think my iPhone 4's screen is good but its kinda sad that the display is barely shy of 720p.

Apple has no reason to make the screen better unless it makes the screen larger (which I think they should do).

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I mean any popular product is going to sell less after 4 months than it was selling at month 1. There reaches a point where the majority of people who want something all have it.

So to me it doesn't sound like this is any kind of a problem, just the natural slowing of purchasing as a product ages. Apple just adjusted their parts order accordingly.

Hey you better stop talking like that! Talking sensible talk is NOT ALLOWED here in MR.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
'most people these days do not use dropbox", please, show me some statistics on that, or is it just some BS you are trying to feed me.

Most people these days have multiple devices on different platforms, which is why services like dropbox/google drive/skydrive are surging in popularity. Do you live in the stone age or something? I bet you also cling onto your little DVD drive to play movies.

Quote: ""Over 50 million people currently use Dropbox". There are billions of mobile phone owners worldwide. You do the math. I do not use DVD drive for movies because I prefer Blu Ray. So it's little BluRay drive. I like quality (and not a crappy iTunes streaming)

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
I hear commercials on the radio every single day in which canadian carriers would have some cheesy dialogues about how great the S3 is.:rolleyes:

ANd the funny thing is the clueless consumers bought that. They're like "iPhone 5 sucks blah blah looks exactly the same hence it sucks blah blah", while their s3 are laggy and overheating and so buggy. Proof that just by changing the case on a phone and people will think it's better.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Not surprised with the news.

I've noticed how the crowds at Apple stores I've been to since launch of the iPhone 5 have been much lighter than in previous years. Even the Christmas crowds seemed down this year.

It's because there are much more Apple Stores now ;)

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
in my opinion, Apple have 2013-2014 to get things right, or this is the begining of the end for apple's empire. unless they are lucky to have a REPEAT of a return of the Jobs.

imo

Apple are focusing too much on form rather than function of products - all this effort in redesigning the iMac, the iPhone, the Macs.

Nobody wanted a skinnier iMac, or a skinny anything, quite the obsession with that.

i think steve knew what he was doing by keeping things on a yearly cycle, he obviously didn't explain or teach why he did it.

apple - your hardware technologies, and even more so your software - is why people buy your products. the 3rd reason is aesthetics. don't focus on aesthetics and form over function and experience. iOS 7 and Mac OS need to be Uniform by 10.9 - no, i don't mean they be combined like windows 8. i'm talking about Mac OS being up to date with iOS main features (siri).

After you do that, you need to Get your asses straight back to work on Software quality and experience - don't push new APPS like Maps, and think we will keep buying your hardware or OS's if its new. they need to have QUALITY and experience be of good nature for users. release them when they are READY otherwise companies like Google, will simply copy your ideas and do parts or even all of their functions, BETTER than you. because they've had the resources for YEARS (Google Search = Google voice., Google Maps, was already ready.) i KNOW someone at apple understands this because they almost did it right when releasing iTunes 11 by making necessary delays.

and please.. please.. just focus on QUALITY software, without bugs and issues, in your MAC os relases, once you got all the ios stuff up and running, get back to how you made Snow Leopard a high quality system, and hire someone who can do it like bertrand starlet. so i can experience the true quality apple was known for before i dived in to the Apple ecosystem with LION!

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
People reeeallly need to stop throwing the word 'innovative' around so much. There's been nothing innovative in the smartphone space since the introduction of the iPhone 3G! A larger screen is not innovative. LTE is not innovative. NFC is not innovative. These are all just incremental improvements.

The whole concept of a multitouch smartphone where the entire screen is a touch surface and that runs apps? That was innovative.

Samsung and Google certainly haven't been innovative either, though their OS might look fresher. A shiny new coat of paint and fresh UI is not 'innovative'! Okay, I'll stop now.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Not surprised with the news.

I've noticed how the crowds at Apple stores I've been to since launch of the iPhone 5 have been much lighter than in previous years. Even the Christmas crowds seemed down this year.

funny how all the iphone5s in our store have been flying off the safe. :eek:

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Quote: ""Over 50 million people currently use Dropbox". There are billions of mobile phone owners worldwide. You do the math. I do not use DVD drive for movies because I prefer Blu Ray. So it's little BluRay drive. I like quality (and not a crappy iTunes streaming)

Perhaps you are dyslexic? it is quite obvious that people prefer dropbox and similar cloud syncing services over the traditional physical media file transfer. To prove me wrong, you would need to show me statistics saying that there is little growth in the number of users opting in these services.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
People reeeallly need to stop throwing the word 'innovative' around so much. There's been nothing innovative in the smartphone space since the introduction of the iPhone 3G! A larger screen is not innovative. LTE is not innovative. NFC is not innovative. These are all just incremental improvements.

The whole concept of a multitouch smartphone where the entire screen is a touch surface and that runs apps? That was innovative.

People seem to confuse 'boring' and 'stale' with 'not innovative.' Samsung and Google certainly haven't been innovative either, though their OS might look fresher. A shiny new coat of paint and fresh UI is not 'innovative'! Okay, I'll stop now.

sensible people ! :eek:

Cannot agree more. :D

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
in a perverse way this is a good thing. It's giving Apple a wake up call that it's products are not seen as the best in the market and the consumer is exercising its right to choose. Everyone here knows that Apple have the capacity to create the very greatest product in the market, they just need that drive to create it rather than just resting on their laurels.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
...and battery life? Malware? Apps?

Just did a quick Google search, Engadget's review and test had the battery running 8.5 - 9.5 hours. I'd say it'll run just fine. Some people will always complain about battery problems (same with iPhone 5). My friends that have the S3 haven't complained at all.

If your smart and don't download random apps you won't get it.

Android actually has some pretty good apps now. It mostly has all the major apps that iOS has. Flipboard and Instagram are both also on Android now. Android does lack in some games though.

Renzatic

Suspended
i think steve knew what he was doing by keeping things on a yearly cycle, he obviously didn't explain or teach why he did it.

I always thought the yearly wait for new Apple products was one of the worst things about the company. Sure, it helps build hype and excitement for their next new thing, but the computer industry is a relentless, ever moving machine. After 6 months, that once shiny new iDevice is either outdated or overpriced in comparison to the competition. If you want the latest and greatest, you either have to wait another half year for Apple to "blow our minds" again, or go with another manufacturer.

Releasing a new device every 6 months gives Apple much more flexibility, and allows them to improve and evolve their products that much quicker.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
while their s3 are laggy and overheating and so buggy.

Any source to back up your claim?

Visit it the alternatives to iOS or AnroidCentral and I'm sure you'll find plenty are more than satisfied with their S3. Not trying to promote Android/S3 (not even a huge Samsung fan myself), just saying...

Proof that just by changing the case on a phone and people will think it's better.

There's a video where people were shown an iPhone 4S and were told it was the new iPhone 5. Those people thought it was so much better than the iPhone 4S. Lighter, better screen, faster, etc. Same phone, but were told it was the latest and greatest...:rolleyes:

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
I'm not surprised.

I usually try to judge these things based on anecdotal evidence, and from that perspective the iPhone 5 is a flop. Of course it depends on my location, place of work and a billion other factors, but in a modern busy city you see a lot of random people with their phones and occasionally you notice one.

I don't tend to see a lot of iPhone 5s around.

I was just saying and thinking same thing today. Far from a real barometer of the 5's success but I mostly see 4 or 4s around eith strangers observing day to day folks randomly. I rarely catch a 5. I realize this is not even remotely close to judge the success of the phone. I have to say I find myself going back to the 4s because I can do everything on 1 hand. On the phone I cannot and think the screen needed to be wider as well as longer. Oh well we will find out soon enough if it was indeed a flop

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2011
Phil Schiller just quashed the "cheaper iPhone" rumor. Why does MR even include that sentence in this story? Also, if anyone believes that the #1 company in the world missed their forecast by 50%, they are insane. This is stock manipulation at its finest. The stock will drop Monday, half of Tuesday, and then run throughout the rest of the week and into earnings next week. I will be buying calls Tuesday morning.

Last edited:

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
I have owned every iPhone that has been released and i am now bored out of my mind with ios.

It needs a big shake up for ios7. None of this 200 new crap features same ****** thing, it needs to be a totally new fresh os that is not all locked up... For example Bluetooth and customising.

I used to be on my iPhone a lot, now i hardly use it. As said it has become stale.

I hope the next iPhone and ios are ground breaking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.