Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Again probably 80% of those sales were Apple fanbois. Who were waiting in line for days. These number are spin numbers pure and simple. Its Sony dropping numbers after the initial launch saying we sold out of all PS3's in North America...never mind you only had 90,000 or something. You can always make numbers look better in the right light. I would also like to know how many people returned their iPhone as well. I know of a couple personally who after the newness faded they missed a few features on their old phone.

skipdivils

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2007
You know, there were 350 some-odd posts yesterday, many from people who were trying to say 'i told you so' about the failure of apple and the iphone, and that the stock is overpriced. hmmmmm, don't see too many of those today as the stock soars past 150. strange.

strangelogic

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
CA
Sounds like the original 1% or 2% had activation issues, is probably closer to 38% had activation issues given their 176,000 only activated.

Apple's numbers included those in transit to retail stores as 'sold' (at least to AT&T stores, someone said to the apple stores as well, but I did not hear that point in the call) ...

They also said that most of the 5 million they are counting was from accessories - meaning that they are counting it over 24 months, apparently in 'days' - so that is only probably 2 days out of 730...

thomasfxlt

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Again probably 80% of those sales were Apple fanbois. Who were waiting in line for days. These number are spin numbers pure and simple. Its Sony dropping numbers after the initial launch saying we sold out of all PS3's in North America...never mind you only had 90,000 or something. You can always make numbers look better in the right light. I would also like to know how many people returned their iPhone as well. I know of a couple personally who after the newness faded they missed a few features on their old phone.

You are a tree falling in the forest....

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
I agree that 270,000 iPhones in 30 hours is an excellent opening, and well within the initial range/expectations that people were posting. It was the madness/hyperbole that followed over the rest of the weekend claiming up to a million sales that was ridiculous. Simple arithmetic of 1,800 AT&T stores and 160 Apple stores and how many iPhones they had to sell belies that.

Here in Sacramento, I counted ~200 waiting in line at the door opening. Within an hour and a half, they were all gone. This means to me that the Apple stores probably could, and did, sell 300 - 400 phones over that 30 hours. Best case, that means the Apple stores contributed ~64,000 iPhones to the initial rush. Now add in the AT&T stores. Most people were saying they averaged fewer than 50 iPhones per store, and when they sold out they had to wait until Monday for replacements. If that's the case, add in another 90,000. That brings us to ~150,000 iPhones for the initial rush. So, Apple pushing 270,000 to the stores is certainly believable. And, of course, some stores are vastly larger (and smaller) than others.

You can see how out of whack claims of 700,000 sales seems in retrospect.

No, what downed me in these numbers is not the initial rush. I think it was great and within initial expectations. What downed me was Jobs now asserting that he expects to push total sales to one million by the end of September. That averages out to ~250,000 per month. Not bad for Apple (~$135 million per month in new sales), but well short of previously announced expectations, and suggestive that internal Apple numbers indicate sales will not be taking off for awhile.

I hope this gives Apple the incentive to really dig into the identified bugs and gotchas, fix them, and then start adding some of the additional functionality that we're all clamoring for (like voice dialing, ring tones, and the like).

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Apple's numbers included those in transit to retail stores as 'sold' (at least to AT&T stores, someone said to the apple stores as well, but I did not hear that point in the call) ...

They also said that most of the 5 million they are counting was from accessories - meaning that they are counting it over 24 months, apparently in 'days' - so that is only probably 2 days out of 730...

So if 30+% of the iPhones were in transit maybe the numbers match.

I still do not believe that the number in transit was that high, it would be a huge error on Apple's judgement. Also given that all AT&T and most Apple stores sold out in two 2 days and given that for at least 4 more days the iphones were only arriving in small quantities at Apple and AT&T, the in transit is probably closer to 12%. I would say that the number of users having issues was closer to 20% or 10 times the stated number of cases.

Just my opinion

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
"That thing is the most expensive phone out there! $599 for a phone?? It wont even sell enough to break even!!"- Steve Ballmer

I really love Ballmer's depth of analisys... Real GENIUS... :cool:

I have been waiting to hear a reaction from Ballmer over it. I am surprised something hasn't asked him yet. Then again, I haven't seen him in an interview since then ... so either he's avoiding the press or just hiding since he has nothing to talk about currently.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004

Mixed in with Apple's Financial Results, Apple announced that they sold 270,000 iPhones in the first 30 hours of iPhone sales.

The number was included with their financial results product breakdown and listed as 270,000 "iPhones and Related Products and Services".

Despite this vague wording, during the conference call, Peter Oppenheimer cleared stated that Apple sold 270,000 iPhones in the first 30 hours of sales.

Article Link

I'm tired of all this prediction bs. SJ and the boys should just take the company private. Then no more of this crap every quarter.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
"That thing is the most expensive phone out there! $599 for a phone?? It wont even sell enough to break even!!"- Steve Ballmer

I'll take a wild guess and say that Meester Balmer is eating one large piece of Humble Pie! Actually he's probally eating the whole damn pie! I can just see his lizard like tongue gulping it up! What say you Meester Balmer? :D

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
I'll take a wild guess and say that Meester Balmer is eating one large piece of Humble Pie! Actually he's probally eating the whole damn pie! I can just see his lizard like tongue gulping it up! What say you Meester Balmer? :D

Meanwhile Meester Balmer's Zune is going nowhere fast. I can see it now...the ZPhone any day now and you can talk to your XBox with it.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL

while an exageration he does have a point. $500-$600 is WELL outside the spending range for most average people. If this was a laptop sure. Buts its a damn phone at the end of the day.

bross00

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
We could learn from Rats

I recently read that rats demonstrate a level metacognition - the ability do distinguish between what they do and don't know (another "rat" Donald Rumsfeld would be proud).

Reading this thread and the prior AT&T thread i can't help but be dismayed to learn that a large number of my fellow MacRumors readers seem unable to make such a distinction.

Yes - the site is called MacRumors. But the speculative poppycock passed off as evidence of great success or failure in this and the prior thread are laughable.

Fluffymuff

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
And keeps on going up: 150!!!
I don't think it's good that the stock moves so quickly up and down. That magnitude of value should not be subject to the vagaries of numbers that are fundamentally unimportant.

A prescient comment on the phone call was that Apple views the iPhone business in terms of years, not months. And here we are with not days but hours of sales swinging the value of a company by 10 billion dollars.

One of the drawbacks of Apple's success this past year is the deleterious hyper-vigilance of a public that has become too aware of it. When no one cared, Apple could make mistakes without fear of a 10 billion dollar spanking, and therefore flourish. Hills and valleys didn't matter; vision and talent did.

You have to wonder if Apple can continue to be Apple with this many people watching it, this much money moving on less than a burp, and this many people reading this thread. I wonder if Apple and can be Apple with so many people cheering or mewing when the stock goes up or down by 5 points.

If AAPL went down 50 points tomorrow, that would be good. it would remove the poisonous "Mad Money" sports-like pulse-taking every time someone flushes the toilet in Cupertino.

If you zoom out and get a sense of the fundamental transformation of our society from industry to information, and identify those companies that are best positioned to drive it, you can make a lot of money. But not by examining 30 hours, 30 days, or 30 weeks.

This is all silliness. Anyone who is interested in AAPL should buy a Mac and an iPhone. If you like them, invest for 10 years. If you don't, go away. But if you do choose to stay, please don't confuse the most momentous transformation in the history of our species with a basketball game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.