Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's recently-launched Sports app for the iPhone was updated today ahead of the NBA and NHL playoffs, which both begin this weekend.

Apple-Sports-App-Preview-Feature.jpg

Apple says fans will be able to "follow every matchup with added details on each series and more," but we have not noticed any immediate changes in the app after updating to the new version. The first NBA and NHL playoff series begin on Saturday, April 20, so the extra details will presumably become visible then. Some info like playoff matchups and conference standings was already available in the previous version of the app.

Released in February, the Apple Sports app shows scores, schedules, stats, and more for a variety of leagues, such as the NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, and Premier League. The app also displays real-time play-by-play information for ongoing games.

Apple Sports is available for free on the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Sports App Updated for NBA and NHL Playoffs

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
For a while Yankee games for me were automatically added to Live Activities, which was awesome. It stopped doing that and wondering if there's a way to get it back? I can't find anything in the Sports app to turn this feature on again

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
I really hope this will bring live events for NHL games. (I know you can jump over to Apple TV app for MLB games but I've never seen a way to put an NHL game into live activities other than third party apps.)

Reactions: ReidWings

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
For a while Yankee games for me were automatically added to Live Activities, which was awesome. It stopped doing that and wondering if there's a way to get it back? I can't find anything in the Sports app to turn this feature on again
It’s actually through the TV app. Find the next game before it starts, hit the hamburger menu, then click “follow game.”

If it lives in Sports I haven’t found it yet. Very unintuitive.

Reactions: nburwell

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
It’s actually through the TV app. Find the next game before it starts, hit the hamburger menu, then click “follow game.”

If it lives in Sports I haven’t found it yet. Very unintuitive.
Yea I remember it was there last year, but in spring training and the first handful of games this year it was happening automatically which was awesome

Cheesehead Dave

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2020
I really want to like this app, but between this and whatever the TV app is doing, I've had to unfavorite all my teams because of excessive notifications (especially for MLB) and even though I tried shutting off notifications, they would still show up on my watch every time there was a run scored.

Once there's an option for more granular things you want to be notified about (kind of like what the ESPN app offers) then I'll give it another look.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I deleted this app.. It's just way too basic and lacks simple little features that other sports score apps have as standard.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
this is a nice app to see an entire league scoring results but...if we can pick a favorite Team and have it display as Live Activities....since this is an Apple App it should, in theory, be able to easily link to the TV app and use that as a trigger.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I personally like the app a lot. I use it for mlb updates, it works for my needs, easier to find the scores and updates quicker than the mlb app.

Reactions: johnediii

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I like this app, despite recognizing that it has a long way to still go. I just need scores, stats and occasional play by play. This does that and does it well. ESPN’s app is so bloated with videos and stories it thinks you need to see that it’s a pain to use.

It’s still crazy that there’s no iPad, Mac or Apple Watch apps. Hopefully that’ll come at WWDC.

Reactions: johnediii

orangeadrenaline

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
I really want to like this app, but between this and whatever the TV app is doing, I've had to unfavorite all my teams because of excessive notifications (especially for MLB) and even though I tried shutting off notifications, they would still show up on my watch every time there was a run scored.

Once there's an option for more granular things you want to be notified about (kind of like what the ESPN app offers) then I'll give it another look.
Ahh same issue here with the constant MLB alerts.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Literally zero reason to use this over ESPN, CBS Sports, etc.
Sure there is. Quicker to get to scores. Less bloat. No ads.

As long as it has the sports that you follow, it's an efficient way to follow scores and standings.

c84216

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Yea I remember it was there last year, but in spring training and the first handful of games this year it was happening automatically which was awesome
Mine is happening automatically after following one game. Make sure you’ve enabled frequent updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.