Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
True, but that news occurred weeks before so the 1% rise was factored into the price pre split :) There is also a possibility of a small effect from the split, specifically from it eventually getting into the Dow or people thinking it will. But again much of that should already be in the price.

But the number of naive investors who think that seven $100 shares are better value than one $700 and therefore buy when they previously wouldn't have isn't going to make any difference. Almost by definition, since they will be buying trivial numbers. No one who is buying tens or hundreds of millions of dollars of stock falls into that category of foolishness.

One way to back check on all this is simply have a look in say a months or two months time. If you look at the amount that apple rose and fell each day post-split it should be on average 1/7 what it rose and fell pre-split. In contrast, if the posters are right that a $1 rise(say) is equally likely on a $100 share than a $700 , the amounts will be the same. On average obviously. (or perhaps not obviously to those who dont have a clue :D )

Exactly. The stock is up 25% in the last two months since earnings and NOW they want to get in?

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
That makes no sense at all. :confused: If for example you had $700 to spend, whether that was one share at $700 or post-split seven at $100, the price is the same in terms of what the shares are worth. And you'd have been better off buying one at $450 a year ago than seven now.

If you don't understand this you shouldn't be buying shares. :eek:

I understood it; the above post just wasn't inputed right. Either way I finally got my shares which ultimately at the end of the day is what I've wanted to do even if it was at a premium.

Right now they aren't doing so hot but I will be keeping my shares for the long term so at some point I am sure it will be turning a profit.

vice-versa

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
It's sinking.
30tnebb.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.