Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
I'm going to test and see if the apple security system actually works. If a alarm goes off I'll just say this is the first time I must have done it wrong. I was always puzzled at the lack of security at apple stores.

I once was at J&R electronics store in downtown manhattan even though they had the security towers and security guards I somehow managed to walk out the store with an item in hand. No alarm went off and no security guard even noticed even though it was with no bag or receipt. (Wasn't my fault though, got into a small argument with my girlfriend and she walked out with me following. I didn't realize it was still in my hand until I was 5 minutes away from the store.) Ended up giving it back though :D

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm going to test and see if the apple security system actually works. If a alarm goes off I'll just say this is the first time I must have done it wrong.
That is a brilliant strategy. Make sure you have your attorney's telephone memorized before you try it. Once you have gone out the door you are shoplifting and "oops, I did it wrong" is not going to make it all go away unless it was truly unintentional, which obviously this is not.

Michael

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What makes you think they are going to have staff checking everyone's receipts now when they haven't ever done so before? For years you've been able to go into an Apple Store, pick up an accessory, pay for it anywhere on the sales floor you can find a staff member, get the receipt emailed to you and walk out of the store with your unbagged item and no physical receipt. This new system is no different except now you don't need to find a member of staff to pay. It's not as is anyone tracked you walking round the store to check if you paid; it was just as easy then to pick up something and walk out without paying as it will be now.

Thanks for the response.:)

Interesting shoplifting security system ...:eek::p

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
On the other hand in the USA the most shoplifted item is not even an electronic item. It is meat.

Source?

Because I don't know of a single supermarket that puts security tags on its items and the only supermarket that I know of that places someone at the door is Whole Foods. But every electronics store I know of has both security tags that must be disabled and someone at the door checking receipts.

Shoplifting is a big problem in the U.S. We should be ashamed that most non-food items that are sold at retail have security tags and/or that retailers have to hire security personnel to stand at the door. You really have to wonder about the ethics of a society when teen-aged girls from well-to-do families feel that it's okay to rip-off stores.

I was walking past the (now defunct) Tower Records store at Lincoln Center one day and a shoplifter was stopped outside the store by the plainclothes security personnel. He was wearing a long coat and had about 20 DVDs underneath, back in the days when DVDs were still relatively expensive. After they took a bunch back, the shoplifter said, "I don't have any more!" but the security people kept looking. Without a shred of irony and sounding greatly offended, the shoplifter said, "What's the matter? Don't you trust me?"

My other shoplifting story is that back in the 1970s, "Yippie" Abbie Hoffman wrote a book called "Steal This Book". I saw a guy walking past Shakespeare & Co. who looked in the window, saw the book on display, opened the door and reached into the window display, took the book and calmly walked away. No security tags in those days.

But I do wonder how Apple is going to handle this. There's been a fair number of reported robberies of Apple stores so they have to be targets for shoplifters as well, although most of the expensive items aren't on the sales floor except for display units.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Really? Uh, ok...
http://www.businessinsurance.org/the-9-most-shoplifted-items-in-america/

I swear if you type "what an awesome day out today" here somebody will want a source. lol

Because I don't know of a single supermarket that puts security tags on its items and the only supermarket that I know of that places someone at the door is Whole Foods.
Well then there you have it. I guess I will trust your scientific analysis instead.

Michael

eaf7s

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
how about the TAX?

Assume my credit card in iTunes has a billing address is in Oregon (no sales tax), if I make a purchase in another state, will they charge me for local sales tax, or no sales tax? :confused:

Local, I'm sure...

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
nope, it's probably a fraud prevention measure. if you buy it on the iphone then along with your credit card apple will also capture the phone number of the phone along with iMEI and other data. phone number is active and linked to a carrier.

nothing on wifi only devices will link you to an active account at a cell carrier

But if there's a WiFi signal present, wouldn't an iPhone automatically use that for data transfer in preference to GSM/CDMA etc?

Dr G

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2004
App Store App updated . . .

I still cannot understand how Apple, of all companies, cannot have their App Store App not iPad friendly. What is up with this? Why have they not developed an iPad version of this app?

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
My concern would be with Shoplifting, or being falsely accused of doing so. I already feel strange carrying a box to a person, doing a transaction, and having no receipt for my transaction (I have it emailed to myself).

How would the general public, or other Apple employees know I actually paid for the Airport Base Station I am walking out with? :confused:

What's why? You provided no reason, just the word no.

I usually avoid those, because 9 times out of 10, it stops me midway through my transaction, because their system doesn't recognize one of the 15 PLU codes on the bag of apples I am buying, or tells me it is an illegal weight, or "unexpected item in bagging area" :mad:

I've accidentally gone through the line with something accidentally left in the cart before. By the time I'm out in the parking lot and realize it, I don't want to go back in the store, explain the situation, and wait in line again. I figure it all averages out because they also multi-charge for the same item sometimes, but receipt checking and checkout lines are just scare tactics... they don't really prevent you from walking out with something.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I've never felt comfortable walking out of the Apple store with an item that was not bagged. I usually ask for one because it feels like all eyes are on you, even if you legitimately paid for your item(s).

I still cannot understand how Apple, of all companies, cannot have their App Store App not iPad friendly. What is up with this? Why have they not developed an iPad version of this app?

Hell, I'll be happy if they ever build a calculator and weather app with the iPad.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

notromeel said:
No one has still provided insight on how Apple will make the distinction between walking up to an accessory, pointing your phone at it and then walking out -- opposed to actually tendering payment here.

What's to stop someone from doing that?

Actually, I think I found a way after looking into it. RFID tags provide a unique identification on it's chip. Apple could embed these chips behind the UPC barcode, so while scanning the UPC to tender the sale, the RFID chip # is sent to Apple's servers as paid for, deactivated, then would be able to exit the premise without activating the alarm. It's my understanding you don't need visible alarm towers either, alarm sensors can be hidden in walls, ceilings, etc and programmed to read/detect a certain area.

There are no alarms at the doors in the store, visible or hidden.

Bossworld

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
It only mentions 'select accessories'

more than likely similar to gift cards you can buy at any UK supermarket, that state "£25 for Topshop" for example, but have no value until they are swiped through/activated at the till. So if it gets nicked, they've lost 1p's worth of plastic.

So it'll probably be gift cards/Apple Care packages that have no value until activated.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Um, excuse me did you just make that up? Source please?

;)

97.82% of all Internet stats are made up, on the spot. :)

On a serious note, it's better for the community that people want sources than not, eh?
Normally yes... if it is something at least reasonably hard to ascertain or a major point in a debate. But when a one-second google seach can verify a simple statement I do not see the point. In this case it was an ancillary comment meant more to show that perhaps food is more important than our cute little gadgets in the grand scheme of things.

Michael

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just did it now.

It's location aware, so a new on-screen menu pops up when you're near the store. I tapped the EasyPay button and a barcode scanner came up. I scanned a bumper, it prompted for my AppleID password, then my credit card's security code. Then a thank you screen appeared. That's all. It was done over 3G, and it did NOT use my iTunes gift card balance.

In terms of security, there's no difference than walking out with a product bagless and without a paper receipt. I literally walked in, scanned it, then walked out. I did not interact with any of the staff.

I will post screencaps for the skeptics later, provided they ask nicely.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
What makes you think they are going to have staff checking everyone's receipts now when they haven't ever done so before? For years you've been able to go into an Apple Store, pick up an accessory, pay for it anywhere on the sales floor you can find a staff member, get the receipt emailed to you and walk out of the store with your unbagged item and no physical receipt. This new system is no different except now you don't need to find a member of staff to pay. It's not as is anyone tracked you walking round the store to check if you paid; it was just as easy then to pick up something and walk out without paying as it will be now.

I guess its like those self serving machines they have in the Wellington New World Metro :)

----------

I'm going to test and see if the apple security system actually works. If a alarm goes off I'll just say this is the first time I must have done it wrong. I was always puzzled at the lack of security at apple stores.

I once was at J&R electronics store in downtown manhattan even though they had the security towers and security guards I somehow managed to walk out the store with an item in hand. No alarm went off and no security guard even noticed even though it was with no bag or receipt. (Wasn't my fault though, got into a small argument with my girlfriend and she walked out with me following. I didn't realize it was still in my hand until I was 5 minutes away from the store.) Ended up giving it back though :D

A lot of those security towers have large gaps in between the tower and the wall, so when no ones looking you can sneak through the gap, bypassing the alarms.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
So... If you are one of those people who perpetually have a balance (due to iTunes gift cards), will it use that up first? Or will it go straight to the credit card? Not sure I want it to pull my iTunes balance first.

Hmm...

I'm guessing that you will never be allowed to use your iTunes balance to buy Apple hardware as Apple don't see this as real money. It's just like game tokens you have bought with your money, and to Apple has no real worth in the physical world.

Yes/No ?

ITunes Gift Cards are for Software only.

However, Mac Gift Cards are for Hardware.

There should be an option for Mac Gift Cards

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Again, as loads of other people have already said many times before: YOU CAN DO ALL OF THE ABOVE ALREADY and have been able to do so for years. This system is no more vulnerable to shoplifting than the system it replaces where you 'check out' via a sales assistant on the shop floor and get you receipt emailed to you. There will be NO regular checking of receipts at the exit and NO fancy RFID or laser systems because their isn't now and THE RISK HASN'T CHANGED.

Rather than just criticise or question this new facility in isolation, you need to compare it with what it's replacing.

No it is clearly not the same, and I am curious as to why you are getting so angry about it?

As far as the stores in MN are concerned, you could never walk up to a shelf, pick up an item, point your phone at it, and then simply walk out with the item without ever talking to someone.

My curiosity lies within how they deal with the potential security risks, and how they will respond when the inevitable attempt to shoplift occurs. You clearly don't have an answer to that question, nor do I expect anyone here to really have one for me either. Still, I remain curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.