Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcwikla

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Best discount of all?

Picked up a "special' 20" G5 iMac at the local store for only 1568 + tax (no edu). This was with built-in Bluetooth, 512mb, and bluetooth kb and mouse. New in the box - sweet! Not sure if this was a fluke or an unadvertised bundle since I also got:
Airport Exress
Applecare
60gb photo iPod

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
sjpetry said:
does anyone know if apple will have an after Christmas sale, or anything of the sort.
I don't remember them doing so in past years, so I'd assume not if I were you. After Christmas, all attention focuses on the January Macworld conference, where new announcements are made. Apple often times their special rebate deals to expire just before their next big event, so if you want to get one of those deals, order before the January deadline. For example, the "Print Out. Cash In." deal (up to $100 back on Epson printers with Mac purchase) expires January 10, one day before the Macworld San Francisco keynote speech (January 11, 9am Pacific time).

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
cubist said:
Thanksgiving is a US holiday, from legislation enacted in 1865. The US has only 9 national holidays; most other countries have more.

Yes, but only the US could turn a holiday into an excuse to do more shopping.

Anyway, I'd be interested in checking things out at my newly-opened, nearby store, but I have absolutely no desire to fight mall traffic to get there.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Awimoway said:

Actually, Canada has the Boxing day sale December 26th. Although for the past several years, at least in Vancouver, that is now the Boxing week sale!

autopilot

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2004
Toronto
xStep said:
Actually, Canada has the Boxing day sale December 26th. Although for the past several years, at least in Vancouver, that is now the Boxing week sale!

yeah, and when they don't sell enough in the boxing "week," they extend the week well into new year's...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Awimoway said:

Anyway, I'd be interested in checking things out at my newly-opened, nearby store, but I have absolutely no desire to fight mall traffic to get there.
Well, Christmas must be an even bigger excuse to do shopping and that's a very international holiday.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
Help me out here: why are people whining about not being eligible for the edu. discount? I'm not eligible and I took it anyway. It's not like they'll ever know. Is everyone really THAT "goody-two-shoes" about it because they don't want to deceive Apple?

DickArmAndHarT

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
Just me.

IS it just me or does the apple site cont. to get more and more confusing. THe apple store keeps changing. The edu discount now has a picture of a photo ipod on it. (wheres the logic) and everything is much to ipod centered. Theres no icon for apple accesroies and more. Well none that i could find. Grrr....I used to love there site comparing to the dell site when i used that horrible horrible computer company. Now its still was above but most defintaltly declining

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
Boston
tcwikla said:
Picked up a "special' 20" G5 iMac at the local store for only 1568 + tax (no edu). This was with built-in Bluetooth, 512mb, and bluetooth kb and mouse. New in the box - sweet! Not sure if this was a fluke or an unadvertised bundle since I also got:
Airport Exress
Applecare
60gb photo iPod
What tha... huh!??!?!! ALL of that for $1568?? If so, that MUST have been someone's mistake!!!

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
NEENAHBOY said:
Help me out here: why are people whining about not being eligible for the edu. discount? I'm not eligible and I took it anyway. It's not like they'll ever know. Is everyone really THAT "goody-two-shoes" about it because they don't want to deceive Apple?

It's fairly rare, but they do occasionally check up on those sorts of things, so it isn't a "it's not like they'll ever know" sort of thing.

Then there's also the ethical stance, but you've already made it clear that that isn't important to you.

~J

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
If they catch you taking the edu discount and you aren't an edu costumer legally, they will fine you for losses and anything else they can justify. It's a really bad idea to take it without proof.
-Chase

tcwikla

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Rantipole said:
What tha... huh!??!?!! ALL of that for $1568?? If so, that MUST have been someone's mistake!!!
Actually the computer was $1568, obviously, the rest was extra ala the iPod was $578, the Express was $98 etc. Still for $1568, this beats the MSRP of $1899 any day...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm a student, but I used my brother's discount because I was about to head off to an Aussie uni, so I couldn't really get the discount unless I was in Oz, where prices were much higher than in Canada.

I really don't feel bad about some bending of the rules.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
AnewMac said:
iM3 are only a $100 on Amazon

thanks anewmac! thats exactly what i needed to hear (or read that is)!

does that mean i have to buy 5 airport express now just to make up for the loss??? :eek:

well, thats what you get when you compensate your workfrustration by rushing to the apple store and buying stuff........ :D :D :D

but thanks for your compassion anyway :)

but so what,

andi

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
tcwikla said:
Airport Exress
Applecare
60gb photo iPod

How did you get it for only 1,568?? On the apple store it says 1,899 - 101 promo savings = 1,798?? Plus with 512 RAM, wireless mouse and keyboard and internal bluetooth it comes up to 1,972?? That means you got some invisible savings of $404! :eek: :confused: :eek:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
NEENAHBOY said:
Because many folks have integrity of which you do not seem to possess.

...at least demonstrated by your actions.

Remember, actions speak louder than words everytime.

Sushi

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
tcwikla said:
Airport Exress
Applecare
60gb photo iPod
"Bank error in your favor, collect tons of envious looks from fellow posters."

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I've been wanting an Airport Express since they cam out. This was a nice surprise! Free shipping, too. I've been using my TiBook to play iTunes on our home stereo, which is fine since I haven't been traveling and can use my desktop PM. Now I can free the laptop up.

edwins

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2004
Dr. Dastardly said:
"Bank error in your favor, collect tons of envious looks from fellow posters."

I almost had a $600 bank error at an apple store in NJ today! Salesman rang up my 20'' iMac at $1198, the sale price of a 17 w/o superdrive... I said, is that the right machine you rang up? He said yes and started to ring up the rest of the order. Conscience broke in and I said, I think you better double check that. He did, and apparently there was a problem with the bar code! I wonder if that was an isolated issue, or what... I know some people will think I'm crazy for reporting the bank error, but I'll be able to sleep tonight! (If I can stop playing with the computer, that is!) :cool:

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
tcwikla said:
Airport Exress
Applecare
60gb photo iPod

I GOT THE SAME DEAL ON THE SAME iMAC!! TOTALLY NOT ADVERTISED!! LOVE IT!

After the guy rang it up, I quickly signed and I RAN outta the store...Bad bar codes? TOO BAD!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.