Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Hey all,

I'm consolidating my Macs. Just sold my iMac and now am selling my iBook. I'm looking to get a Powerbook 15". I have been looking at Apple Store refurbs. They have a 1.5G Combo for $1399 and a late 1.67G Superdrive for $1599. My question is, is the DDR2 RAM, better battery life, screen resolution and superdrive worth the extra $200? What do you think, especially if you own either one. I thought about an MBP, but not sure I want to go Intel yet.

Thanks,
Matt

Amuraivel

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Yes, it is worth it.

My function
SUM(
DDR2 RAM $10
better battery life $20
screen resolution $150
superdrive $60
more VRAM $30
) > 200USD

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
Miles Davis said:
Hey all,

I'm consolidating my Macs. Just sold my iMac and now am selling my iBook. I'm looking to get a Powerbook 15". I have been looking at Apple Store refurbs. They have a 1.5G Combo for $1399 and a late 1.67G Superdrive for $1599. My question is, is the DDR2 RAM, better battery life, screen resolution and superdrive worth the extra $200? What do you think, especially if you own either one. I thought about an MBP, but not sure I want to go Intel yet.

Thanks,
Matt

Both are not worth the price (mac book pro is probably better). But if you need a G4 powerbook get the 1600 one.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Miles Davis said:
Hey all,

Thanks,
Matt

It is worth the Extra $200 for sure.

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Well see, that's the thing, I'm in my last phase of grad school and am still eligible to purchase the ADC program for $99, and could get a new MBP for $1599, making it only $100 more than the PB 1.67. But I use Word all the time and am worried of slow reports, not to mention whirring/whining noises and heat issues that Giles Turnball mentioned today.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Miles Davis said:
Well see, that's the thing, I'm in my last phase of grad school and am still eligible to purchase the ADC program for $99, and could get a new MBP for $1599, making it only $100 more than the PB 1.67. But I use Word all the time and am worried of slow reports, not to mention whirring/whining noises and heat issues that Giles Turnball mentioned today.

Isnt is 1799 and 2299. So it is $200 more then the PB 1.67.

I got a MBP 2.0 and i think i should of gotten the PB 1.67 15" instead now.

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
Acehigh said:
Isnt is 1799 and 2299. So it is $200 more then the PB 1.67.

I got a MBP 2.0 and i think i should of gotten the PB 1.67 15" instead now.

Actually, if you use the ADC store (lit. once in a lifetime) you can pay the student member fee of $99 and then pay $1599 for the MBP.

So why do you feel you should have gone with the 1.67?

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
I'd say bone up for the MBP. If you really want to save $$, though, the 1.5 GHz is probably ok. Most of the stuff the majority of us do on our fancy laptops could probably be done with a G3 iBook, anyways.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I've noticed items in the refurb store have been changing a lot more in the past week or two. So don't wait too long to decide, or it might not be there when you've finally decided.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Miles Davis said:
Actually, if you use the ADC store (lit. once in a lifetime) you can pay the student member fee of $99 and then pay $1599 for the MBP.

So why do you feel you should have gone with the 1.67?

What is a ADC store? For $1599 it is worth getting a MACBOOK Pro then. I should of waited for the 1.83 to come back in.

The reason I think I should of went for the 1.67 is because i dont use the isight so that is useless to me and i really dont like it there. They didnt have the 1.83 so i got the 2.0 for 2299 plus tax so it is a big price difference. I should of went with a 1.67 with a 20" screen instead. I would be able to use the 1.67 for atleast 2 years with no problems. I am in medical school, dont need to use the computer for high end graphics. (probably could use a ibook but like the shinny case lol). But I needed a laptop that week so had to buy something in the store.

Also this Ram problem i am having is more the reason for the 1.67 PB.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
The ADC store is for the people who are members in the development section. Students can join for $99. I don't know much else about it though (the student membership doesn't come with too many perks besides a price drop in the store I believe)

Miles Davis

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2004
ADC is the developer's program, there is a special store. As a student you get one discount for life and you pay $99 for the privilege. I am studying for an MA in International Education (study abroad and student exchange) and think the iSight might be nice to have, as I am planning on doing an internship overseas in the summer.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
celebrian23 said:
The ADC store is for the people who are members in the development section. Students can join for $99. I don't know much else about it though (the student membership doesn't come with too many perks besides a price drop in the store I believe)
You get a copy of OS X Tiger and quarterly mailings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.