Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
This release has been a real mess by Apple. After the initial orders I wonder if this thing will sell very much.

How does this mean it's a mess? Apple clarified that you could do more with the display than they initially suggested.

BigMac?

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Erlangen, Bavaria
Still greedy move not to make this stand like the XDR. For a company that claims to be environmentally friendly, the waste of resources, time, money just to swap stands, makes no sense.
I’m pretty sure they won’t waste the sealed backplane, at least used in the refurb department.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
So… the power cable is fixed, except it isn’t; and the stand can’t be changed after purchase, except it can? Glad the messaging is so clear on this one, Apple.

The power cable is "fixed" in that you will never be able to plug a third-party cable into it. It does technically pull out, but it's difficult and there's no reason to do so.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Still greedy move not to make this stand like the XDR. For a company that claims to be environmentally friendly, the waste of resources, time, money just to swap stands, makes no sense.
It’s only a waste of time, resources and money on the customer’s part. Apple makes out like a bandit.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So… the power cable is fixed, except it isn’t; and the stand can’t be changed after purchase, except it can? Glad the messaging is so clear on this one, Apple.
It isn’t user serviceable. But it can be done. Not a hard concept. The built-in stands are rock solid. That likely wouldn’t be the case if they were user-swappable, as we can see with the LG UltraFine 5K.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I really like it, except for the price tag.

I may just get 2 or 3 decent 27” 4K monitors instead of just one 5K, and still get some money back!

Any suggestions?

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Just find someone who wants to swap.
Or sell it and buy a used one with the stand you want.

Paying labor and parts to modify the one you have makes no economic sense.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Any guesses to labor cost?
Apple no longer charges labor for repair work which this would likely fall under. So only labor at AASPs most likely.

This will be a ****ing bear of a job, most likely with many components being removed to do this.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
It’s really hard to believe that Apple, with all its financial and engineering resources, can’t design a beautiful, cost-effective, height adjustable and swiveling stand that comes standard on all iMacs and displays.
I think they can, and they would prefer to design products that maximize profits from things no one would ever try to profit from. Like swiveling a monitor.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think they can, and they would prefer to design products that maximize profits from things no one would ever try to profit from. Like swiveling a monitor.
Apple sold the 27” iMac for years with a fixed stand, and people didn’t complain about it. It still sells the 24” model with a fixed stand. A VESA mount was an option at purchase.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It’s really hard to believe that Apple, with all its financial and engineering resources, can’t design a beautiful, cost-effective, height adjustable and swiveling stand that comes standard on all iMacs and displays.

They certainly can. I would assume that by the time they got done with it, its price at probably $1499-$2499 was judged by even the bean counters to be too much (more). ;)

See $20 pieces of cloth and $600 wheels.

What they've likely done here is engineered in a way to get the big profit without having to add it to the (what many are calling) high price up front. Later, when some may need this change, the premium for the work/part will probably be quite Apple-like.

Then some of those people will bring it back home "as is" and stack up some books under it or pay someone to hold it in portrait and save money, etc. ;)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Or just buy another display altogether and don't reward Apple for this ridiculous anti-customer design.
how is it anti-customer? How often does anyone want to change their monitor mount type except when, apparently, it’s an Apple monitor?

And what’s preventing customers from just buying the VESA variant and mounting to whatever standard VESA stand they want to?

Elcuria

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
how is it anti-customer? How often does anyone want to change their monitor mount type except when, apparently, it’s an Apple monitor?

And what’s preventing customers from just buying the VESA variant and mounting to whatever standard VESA stand they want to?

You need to stop making sense. Please, for all that is good and decent, stop it!

Last edited:

B-Mc-C

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2017
Irvine, California
Oddly the height adjustable stand model is 8-10 weeks backordered while the standard tilting model was available in stores here all weekend. Severe supply constraint on the stands or are they pushing those orders out to the announcement of the mini-LED version coming in June? Maybe height adjustable will be standard and those who paid $1999 will be auto upgraded? Kidding, I can dream right? But, the disparity in delivery times is a little odd, just for a difference in the stand.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Apple just seems to becoming a worse and worse company when it comes to repair, service, and just basically simple ease of use. I was pondering selling my M1 Air for a 14in Pro but now I'm wondering if I even want to support a company that makes it a PITA to do basic things. Its like every time I start to really like Apple again, they then start doing things like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.