Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
I really can't understand why people bash the iPod so much. I've had two 3G iPods, 10GB and 15GB. Without ever having a single problem.

2 years on one of them already and the battery is still going strong. Of course it is not like new, but that is to be expected. My theory and I don't want to offend anybody here, is that people just do not know how to use the iPods or their expectations are way too high as far as the battery issue.

I'm sure people that have issues with batteries leave them in their cars in the sun, or somewhere too cold. Have their backlight turned to 20 seconds and the EQ blasting the Bass. Things like that. And yes, there will be legitimate issues with them. But most likely not many.

I mean I'm sorry but these things are fragile and people drop them, treat them like cell phones. iPods in my experience are perfect, if you treat them properly. 1 PowerMac, 1 PowerBook, 1 iBook, 2 iPods, 1 iMac G5 (but I got it yesterday so not counting it.) = Zero problems. When my PowerMac was new, it had 10.2, it would kernel panic waking up from sleep. After 10.3 issue was solved forever. I'm a happy former Windows user.:)

ozer86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
cgratti said:
Within the 90 days of purchase it's free to replace it, after that they charge you $30, which is only the shipping through DHL. You are far better off getting AppleCare and not having to pay a penny for 2 years, you have to pay the $30 now, so why not throw up another $30 for insurance.

that 30$ was once told to me, through an apple representative, and it was for the shipping, so i suggested that if i go to the apple store, the fee will be waived, and the representative said it was fine. And i wasn't charged on my first messed up ipod, which i think the rule is before the 6 months of warranty, they pay for shipping charges. But on this ipod mini, i also went to the apple store, but this time they want to charge me no matter what. Well see what happens.

ozer86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
MacAficionado said:
I really can't understand why people bash the iPod so much. I've had two 3G iPods, 10GB and 15GB. Without ever having a single problem.

2 years on one of them already and the battery is still going strong. Of course it is not like new, but that is to be expected. My theory and I don't want to offend anybody here, is that people just do not know how to use the iPods or their expectations are way too high as far as the battery issue.

I'm sure people that have issues with batteries leave them in their cars in the sun, or somewhere too cold. Have their backlight turned to 20 seconds and the EQ blasting the Bass. Things like that. And yes, there will be legitimate issues with them. But most likely not many.

I mean I'm sorry but these things are fragile and people drop them, treat them like cell phones. iPods in my experience are perfect, if you treat them properly. 1 PowerMac, 1 PowerBook, 1 iBook, 2 iPods, 1 iMac G5 (but I got it yesterday so not counting it.) = Zero problems. When my PowerMac was new, it had 10.2, it would kernel panic waking up from sleep. After 10.3 issue was solved forever. I'm a happy former Windows user.:)

yea i treat my stuff like a babies, i swear. these ipods i had. were almost dead on arrival. It was me who messed up by not taking them back that same day. This ipod mini has been doing this battery thing for the past 4 months. it is not even half a year old, and the battery lasting only 6 hours. and crashing half ways of the battery. Something go to be wrong there don't you think bro. See i understand that my original ipod only holds about 8 hours on a charge, even if it is supposed to be 12hrs. i understand battery runs out of cycles. but this ipod mini, treated like a damn baby, and still acting up. peace.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Original iMac, Strawberry 333, Tangerine 400, Lime iMac DV 700, APBS, iLamp G4, iBook G4, APX, eMac G4, and PowerBook G4 12"... still never any problems.

Either you broke them, or you have incredibly bad luck. This could have been any company and really doesn't have anything to do with Apple as a whole or any struggles they might have, because they're well within acceptable margins for product defects, and I find all of their customer support programs to be more than adequate and fair.

Does complaining here make you feel better? What were you hoping to glean from this post?

ozer86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
wongulous said:
Original iMac, Strawberry 333, Tangerine 400, Lime iMac DV 700, APBS, iLamp G4, iBook G4, APX, eMac G4, and PowerBook G4 12"... still never any problems.

Either you broke them, or you have incredibly bad luck. This could have been any company and really doesn't have anything to do with Apple as a whole or any struggles they might have, because they're well within acceptable margins for product defects, and I find all of their customer support programs to be more than adequate and fair.

Does complaining here make you feel better? What were you hoping to glean from this post?

first you fool, before you come posting here about me whinning, ive had bad luck with apple, ill accept that. I'm the one who had the bad experience, not you. You trying to counter attack me with your succesful products does not tell me crap. I was wondering if this 30$ was a new thing or what, i have never had to pay for something that was under warranty. I mean come on, stop being a fan boy, that is what gettings me mad the most. I do not think apple sucks at all, ive had bad luck with them, that's just my own damn experience. To me, you fool, apple is struggling!!!! You might have good luck on apple, not me. Don't come here and post that im a whiner, im not looking for that kind of ****!!!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ozer86 said:
first you fool, before you come posting here about me whinning, ive had bad luck with apple, ill accept that. I'm the one who had the bad experience, not you. You trying to counter attack me with your succesful products does not tell me crap. I was wondering if this 30$ was a new thing or what, i have never had to pay for something that was under warranty. I mean come on, stop being a fan boy, that is what gettings me mad the most. I do not think apple sucks at all, ive had bad luck with them, that's just my own damn experience. To me, you fool, apple is struggling!!!! You might have good luck on apple, not me. Don't come here and post that im a whiner, im not looking for that kind of ****!!!

Well I owned 4 Apple products to date:

1) iPod 4G 20GB

It has some really distracting artifacts on its LCD screen.. like when you press a finger hard against a LCD.

2) iPod 4G Photo 30GB

LCD was good, but sound quality was *unbearable*. Supposedly it had issues, but Apple NEVER owned up to it.

3) iPod 4G Photo 60GB

Finally a good iPod.

4) Powerbook 15" Rev-E

Enough said, Powerbook 15" speaks for itself.

Personally I am very disappointed with Apple.

Edit: That said I have zero loyalty towards the "Apple lifestyle" or whatever you call it. The moment another product comes up with the right feature set and UI, cya Apple.

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
After six months, Apple charges a "shipping and handling" fee of $30 for all iPod repairs unless you have purchased the AppleCare package for said iPod.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
The power supply in my iMac went out last year, Apple fixed it quickly, and it has worked well since. From what I have read, it was a problem that a bunch of the new iMacs had, and they extended the warranty for another year.

I've had no other problems though, and all in all it adds up to about one problem per Apple computer owned.

Not bad since neither component was made by Apple and both were replaced under warranty.

My iPod Mini has worked well, with zero problems.

Not much to complain about from this end.

Compared to the problems I had with the Compaq and HPs I had leading to me going back to Apple, I'm still very happy.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
ozer86 said:
If you are going to post bs, then dont post at all, i acknowledge that it is bad luck, i still buy apple products, i got nothing against the company, i love their computers, but fanboys like you should get a life instead of bashing others. Others responded to my question, i can say a thousand things that are wrong about apple, but i can say a million a bout microsoft. I still love apple. peace.
If you're going to post a thread with a title such as "apple struggling!!!", you might want to give some information pertinent to the title, rather than "I bought some stuff from Apple, and it all needed repair". One person's experiences with a company's products will NOT show how 100% of their products perform, and thus, are a very poor basis for making statements about the company's entire product or general financial welfare.

How's that for bs?

And as far as getting a life goes, I spent quite a bit of this evening out with friends, rather than spend it here, on a forum dedicated to computers.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
gco212 said:
After six months, Apple charges a "shipping and handling" fee of $30 for all iPod repairs unless you have purchased the AppleCare package for said iPod.

I believe it is in their website, under the 1 year warranty terms. It has always been there, I guess it was not enforced. Maybe people were abusing the system?
:cool:

When my batteries go out, I'm not going to complain. I'm just going to buy them and replace them myself. Very simple.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Buy AppleCare, because you seem to be unlucky with these things. Then they won't charge you the $30 no matter what, but they shouldn't charge you s&h if you take it to their store. Talk to someone else if he still tries to charge you that again, he might have been uninformed. I haven't had a problem, but Apple has let their quality control slip at times. It happens. They're just a company who make cool products. Contrary to what most people seem to think here, they aren't perfect.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
solvs said:
they shouldn't charge you s&h if you take it to their store. Talk to someone else if he still tries to charge you that again, he might have been uninformed.

No, the $30 charge is correct, even if they have replacement iPods in stock in the store. When presented with this option in August, I chose to buy Apple Care for the iPod instead, which was a good decision because the replacement iPod they gave me died within three months.

Bear in mind that the replacement iPods are refurbished models and we all know how generally unreliable Apple refurbs are.

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
the same thing happened to me 2 days ago. i took the iPod 4th gen in and they told me it would cost me 30 bucks to process it. the repair is free, but because of 6 months or after, i have to pay the 30 bucks. it is in fine print, they said.

ozer86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Counterfit said:
If you're going to post a thread with a title such as "apple struggling!!!", you might want to give some information pertinent to the title, rather than "I bought some stuff from Apple, and it all needed repair". One person's experiences with a company's products will NOT show how 100% of their products perform, and thus, are a very poor basis for making statements about the company's entire product or general financial welfare.

How's that for bs?

And as far as getting a life goes, I spent quite a bit of this evening out with friends, rather than spend it here, on a forum dedicated to computers.

yes yes i know it is a poor title, yes yes i know already i ****ed up on the god damn title. But i didn't want to go that far, and now i will. So far everybody i know personally has had a ****ed up apple product, so what does that ****en tell me. Whenever i buy a stereo, a phone, and it gets ****ed up, i never buy from that company again. With apple is different, i love their osx, their machines, i still buy from them. i lack trust on them. of course. Unlike you, some other smart people did post to the question i was asking about, the 30$, which some of these idiots in these forums did not understand. Clearly my question was there. Yes i struggled in the title, but it includes to the 30$ and my experience with their faulty products.

And as my life, yea, i think you been here longer than me, and you won't see me much in these forums. Unfortunately i was home today, and i kept reading these stupid posts, so what else, reply to their non-sense. Peace!!!!!! Some people should read what im posting before they bash others. I feel that some of these people in these forums are losers!!! Sorry, i didn't want to go there. You know who you are!!!!!

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
What a trainwreck this thread has become. You get to post your miniscule 0.0000000000001% slice of reality opinion-rant, under the guise of asking about the completely-valid S&H fee, and yet when others reply with their experiences advising you and trying to remain rational, suddenly it's a flurry of "you're a fanboy! and expletives. Yeah, because we're the ones bashing and who need to get a life... ;)

Noobs... can't live with 'em, end of story. :rolleyes:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
wongulous said:
What a trainwreck this thread has become.

Noobs... can't live with 'em, end of story. :rolleyes:

It only became a trainwreck when certain people started to post personal insults.

A propos your closing words - how could you live with yourself when you joined macrumors? :rolleyes:

Just asking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.