Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, it‘s a few days until any of us will actually be “owners,” but the reviews should be coming soon, and we should have a dedicated thread to share our thoughts. Suggested topics of discussion:
  • What are your initial impressions (after you set it up)?
  • Are you replacing an existing display or adding a new display?
  • Are you satisfied with your selection of stand/mount? Would you get a different stand/mount if you had to do it over?
  • Are you using it with Windows? How well does it work?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I’ll be curious to get confirmation, but it looks like the Studio Display has a fan based on one of the marketing shots of the A13 chip and it would appear the holes on the top are not necessarily for any speaker.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I’ll be curious to get confirmation, but it looks like the Studio Display has a fan based on one of the marketing shots of the A13 chip and it would appear the holes on the top are not necessarily for any speaker.
Apple has been known to put decorative grilles on devices before. The LG UltraFine does not have any fans, though it also doesn’t have an A13.

Reactions: dielawn714

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
looks like dual fans...
967FE448-EEC3-4D4A-9B3C-337E9FA26E68.png

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
That's what I was thinking as well and in none of the audio sections do they show sound coming out of the top of the display so I'm pretty sure the top is for ventilation and they simply made it symmetrical with the bottom speaker grille.
Looks like the fans will pull air from the bottom over the A13 board and out the top. Apple is pulling our leg if they can't put a M2, some ram and storage in this thing in the future.

Reactions: macwant

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
On a side note, I find it interesting that Apple was known for inadequate thermals when they used Intel processors but are now (apart from the MacBook Air) erring on the side of ridiculous overkill for cooling their own Apple Silicon.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Yup work is getting me two. Super excited. Using with my 14” m1max Mac book pro.
Nice! I’m buying one on my own dime. I will use it with my base 14” MacBook Pro and my 2018 work PC that somehow can kinda sorta drive a 5K display through its sole Thunderbolt port.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
To get to my own list of questions, I’m replacing an LG UltraFine 5K (2019 version). There’s nothing “wrong” with it but I am interested in the nano-texture display and the aluminum design. I’ve got the money and technology is where I splurge. If you don’t mind being perpetually a year behind the times you would save a TON of money buying from me on Swappa and eBay.

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
Yup work is getting me two. Super excited. Using with my 14” m1max Mac book pro.
Very nice. Unfortunately I will be paying for two out of pocket. I have a company Intel MacBook Pro and my personal M1Max MacBook Pro I'll be using them for. I was late to the party on Tuesday, so hoping to pick up 2 on Friday.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
So, I splurged on one...this is from the stimulus money from the last 2 years....

Let's see how it is. I already have an HDR-capable LG Ultrawide 34-inch monitor. Let's see how different this LG panel is compared to the Ultrawide HDR-capable panel that I already have...

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Can't wait for the reviews! I thought they would be released tomorrow, but the reviews for the iPad Air are still not available. So probably reviews for iPad Air tomorrow and reviews for the Studio Display/Mac Studio Thursday (at best) or Friday...

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Looking forward to reading others experiences.

I'm taking a "The second mouse gets the cheese" approach since it'll be my own dime. :D

I'd be replacing a Dell U2717D which would then be an upgrade to another monitor elsewhere, and that one would then be an upgrade to a monitor in another spot. Yes, monitor-hand-me-downs. :cool:

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Studio Display is showing "out for deliver" as of today. Anyone else see this and/or already have theirs? Is UPS lying to me and they are actually going to hold this delivery until Friday?
If it’s out for deliver, this means the display is already in the delivery truck! You’d be very lucky to get it today, the embargo isn’t even lifted

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Studio Display is showing "out for deliver" as of today. Anyone else see this and/or already have theirs? Is UPS lying to me and they are actually going to hold this delivery until Friday?
Did you track the package and see if it has passed thru US Customs ?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Likely this will be intercepted and held until Friday, but occasionally things slip through.

thinkthis

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
I ordered the monitor and the Studio in two separate orders. Studio Display said delivery on March 18 and the Apple Studio Max had a delivery date of first week of April. I don't actually know this is the monitor, but I can't imagine it's the computer given the estimated delivery date I was originally given.

I mean, I don't 100% know this is from Apple (I order a ton of stuff) but the sender is "AI" and whenever I've received stuff from that sender in the past it was always Apple.

Attachments

• Tracking UPS - United States.png
    Tracking UPS - United States.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 244

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I ordered the monitor and the Studio in two separate orders. Studio Display said delivery on March 18 and the Apple Studio Max had a delivery date of first week of April. I don't actually know this is the monitor, but I can't imagine it's the computer given the estimated delivery date I was originally given.

I mean, I don't 100% know this is from Apple (I order a ton of stuff) but the sender is "AI" and whenever I've received stuff from that sender in the past it was always Apple.
Are you trading in something? If so, it could be the packaging for the trade in. I'm trading in a 2017 iMac and I was so confused about the delivery today from AI that was 9.8 lbs when my order hasn't shipped yet. I'm sure it's the trade in box.

Reactions: 4sallypat

thinkthis

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
If you get it, take some pictures, please! Tell us how it is.
Are you trading in something? If so, it could be the packaging for the trade in. I'm trading in a 2017 iMac and I was so confused about the delivery today from AI that was 9.8 lbs when my order hasn't shipped yet. I'm sure it's the trade in box.
You're so right! I am trading something in! Hopes dashed. I totally forgot about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.