Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider provides additional confirmation that Apple is indeed working on a sub-notebook version of their MacBook line.

The rumor site draws parallels to Apple's PowerBook Duo, Apple's first sub-notebook released in 1992. The Duo-line of PowerBooks offered a unique 152-pin port in the back that allowed it to connect to various Docks that provided additional functionality, such as external drives, video capabilities, and ethernet that were left off the notebook itself to maximize portability.

Appleinsider reports that the new mini MacBook will be "lighter and more compact than any other Mac portable Apple has put forth in recent years" and is on track for release near WWDC in mid 2007. Other features listed in the MacBook include the use of NAND flash ram to speed up boot times, as well as the exclusion of an optical drive to save on space.

The first rumors of a sub-compact ("Ultra-thin") notebook coming from Apple came in December 2006 from MacScoop. At that time, however, the rumors pointed to a MacBook Pro model that would see miniaturization with a 12" Widescreen display. It isn't clear if these two reports are related , and this new report may represent a distinct project.

A patent application from January provided additional evidence that Apple had been actively working on methods to miniaturize their notebooks, with research into alternative locations for the optical drive in a laptop computer. Making smaller laptops was listed as the motivation for pursuing these alternative designs.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
My wallet is ready. :)

I predict this sub-notebook will have a touch control screen instead of a traditional keyboard.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Some of you may not have been around... but back in the day people really loved their Duos. Almost as much as people loved their Newtons. :)

arn

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I want a sub notebook but I would be surprised if it lacked a keyboard. I would sell my MacBook and prepare for Rev B of this new machine (not buying rev A again - although I have no problems with my Rev A MacBook I just don't like Rev A anymore).

Lacking a keyboard? hmmm....

I like the idea of something really small I can take around with me.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Some of you may not have been around... but back in the day people really loved their Duos. Almost as much as people loved their Newtons. :)

arn
Oh yes, we did. Though looking back, they were a bit ridiculous, much like our clothing (blasphemy! I know).

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i can see an apple ultra portable, but a docking one? i'm not so sure about that. but boy, i remember wanting a duo back in the day.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002

arn

I have a Powerbook Duo still......... it was great 10 years ago.
Looking forward to the "Thin" incarnation to surface soon.

My wallet is ready. :)

I predict this sub-notebook will have a touch control screen instead of a traditional keyboard.

Now you're talking, Spicy Apple .........

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
This rumour really excites me. The iPhone - great, but I already have a phone. I am not really after a super duper phone (although I will probably buy one). I am after something really cool regarding portable laptops from Apple.

I always wanted a 12" Powerbook. Now I can afford one - it's not fast enough any more and is being phased out (software wise, over the next few years). I would happily sell my MacBook (UK seller, amazing condition, 2 years applecare ;)) and cannot wait for a professional looking small notebook that I can take with me around the world, surf the net and email from, give presentations with and actually do work on.

The MacBook is fine, but I want something pro for a change. I hope whatever's coming is metal I don't care about optical drives or not. A firewire add on is fine if u need one.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
YES! YES! YES!

This is what I've been waiting for!! :;:;:;) :D

Finally I can replace my Big Clunky PBG5!!

(but seriously, I'm really excited by this product..)

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
I'm just glad to hear rumors that Apple is working on Mac products :cool:

I am too. But it seems like we keep hearing the same rumors over and over and over and over and over and over. Wish I had a dollar for every time I read about a 12" MacBook coming out. I might actually have enough money to buy when it does.:p

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I think anything smaller than 12 inches is almost unusable as a fully-featured computer. I think a 13 inch widescreen is the sweet spot in size. I'd really love to see a 13" MacBook Pro because I'd like more power than the MacBook, but in a smaller and more affordable package than the 15" MacBookPro.

If this is true, then mark my words: it'll be called the MacBook mini.

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
no optical drive would be ridiculous! no way apple would take such a huge step backwards.

Actually it's a step forward. An ultra portable is meant to be used on the go and should be smaller and provide better battery life. I would say that on average I use my super drive 99% of the time to burn CDs/DVDs. I rarely rip my music (as I already did that years ago and new stuff I download from iTS) so dropping the DVD drive wouldn't be a huge loss.

They will promote it as 'take it anywhere' and promote iTunes Store to download digital media (such as movies and tv shows for your viewing on long trips).

The fact is, physical media as a way of distributing content is on its way out. In 10 years we'll look back at having DVD drives on everything and think 'how quaint'.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
I'm just glad to hear rumors that Apple is working on Mac products :cool:

Aren't we all...

I hope it has a real type-on-the-plastic-buttons keyboard, the latest 'touch-screen' technology as demo'd on the iPhone and a new incarnation of Inkwell. I can see a need for all three on a small form factor laptop.

I know there are a lot of people out there who do not like the whole 'tablet' concept, but if anyone can do it with style and true functionality, Apple can. A reversable screen folding back on the keyboard to allow full use of the screen in tablet mode for touch and Inkwell would be cool.

And who is to say that the patent discussed here is purely for the iPhone - could easily be incorporated into a smallform factor laptop...

Bring it on...

Squareball

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
That definately sounds like Santa Rosa's Robson Caching...

Indeed. There are already going to be 100gb microdrives out this year. Combine that with the Robson caching and the removal of the dvd drive and you have a LOT of free space left. Throw in a nice intel processor and a screen and you can get battery life around 8 hours or more.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
what a year. maybe appleinsider can write an article about how everyone on macrumors will be broke by the end of 2007.

i know i will be.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
It's unlikely for AI to post a report without Shaw Wu's confirmation. They must be really certain about this one ;)

I'd say multi-touch has a *chance* at this one, but if it comes with a keyboard and trackpad, navigation technology will be redundant. So, the question is, will Apple ditch the keyboard and mouse (and if so, what will they do with all the blank space), or will they give the user that redundant technology (with an inflated price tag).

OR option 3 is that they don't offer multi-touch at all, which probably has the most credence. I'd say, let it run our iPods and iPhones for a year first, then move it into bigger platforms.

-Clive

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I really do not want a tablet to be released. What do you people use tablets for?

I think 12" widescreen or something more 12" PB size would be so awesome.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
It's unlikely for AI to post a report without Shaw Wu's confirmation. They must be really certain about this one ;)

I'd say multi-touch has a *chance* at this one, but if it comes with a keyboard and trackpad, navigation technology will be redundant. So, the question is, will Apple ditch the keyboard and mouse (and if so, what will they do with all the blank space), or will they give the user that redundant technology (with an inflated price tag).

OR option 3 is that they don't offer multi-touch at all, which probably has the most credence. I'd say, let it run our iPods and iPhones for a year first, then move it into bigger platforms.

-Clive

Maybe it'll just be the top half (the screen part) with no laptop hinge or table swivel. Maybe it'll be all mutli-touch. I remember some patents with a device looking like this not too long ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.