Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Wiring guide? That's a HomeKit accessory then. How much more obvious can it get?

When was the last time Apple asked a customer to wire something? This is industrial use wiring, meant to be installed by a professional. This is either for their own use at Apple Stores or the new Apple campus or it's going to be distributed to merchants for Apple Pay.

Given the wiring requirements and regulatory labelling and instructions, there is a near zero chance that this is an end user device.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
unknown-jpeg.657965

Jobs.buttonphones.2007.jpg
But phones are stand alone. A retailer can't just take a gizmo and plug it in and it "just works" with their payment gateway.

Payment gateways are unique and specific. Something made to work for Target'a payment gateway won't work at any other retailer. And vice-versa.

I get that Apple makes pretty kit compared to the industry. I just think that the payment industry is too specific for Apple to enter and make any money when it comes to "terminal add-one".

tascon

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
This is for sure the hub that has been rumored for a while. Perhaps a thunderbolt hub that provide extra ports when connected to a MacBook or MacBook Pro laptops.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
But phones are stand alone. A retailer can't just take a gizmo and plug it in and it "just works" with their payment gateway.

Payment gateways are unique and specific. Something made to work for Target'a payment gateway won't work at any other retailer. And vice-versa.

I get that Apple makes pretty kit compared to the industry. I just think that the payment industry is too specific for Apple to enter and make any money when it comes to "terminal add-one".

If a start up like Square can pull it off, I'm sure that Apple can sell or even give away ApplePay POS systems to retailers to promote ApplePay for end users and make a killing on transaction percentages.

Here, take this ApplePay device, get the sales app for your iPad and add in your products, sign up for an account (maybe a single tap of the retailer's own ApplePay account to set up where to receive payments) and you're set up. No complex and inflexible cash register, no slow phone lines, no clunky PIN pad and visits from a payments processor rep. Just an iPad and a small device on the counter.

It's scalable. While I've seen plenty of Square readers on food trucks and farmers market stands, I know larger stores who have set up iPads and a Square reader for all of their transactions. Square Register actually connects wirelessly to a cash drawer and printer if you need it to.

We already know that Apple has sold their own retail solution (an iPod in a credit card case) to third party retailers so this would not be without precedent. It makes a whole lot of sense.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
If a start up like Square can pull it off, I'm sure that Apple can sell or even give away ApplePay POS systems to retailers to promote ApplePay for end users and make a killing on transaction percentages.

Here, take this ApplePay device, get the sales app for your iPad and add in your products, sign up for an account (maybe a single tap of the retailer's own ApplePay account to set up where to receive payments) and you're set up. No complex and inflexible cash register, no slow phone lines, no clunky PIN pad and visits from a payments processor rep. Just an iPad and a small device on the counter.

It's scalable. While I've seen plenty of Square readers on food trucks and farmers market stands, I know larger stores who have set up iPads and a Square reader for all of their transactions. Square Register actually connects wirelessly to a cash drawer and printer if you need it to.

We already know that Apple has sold their own retail solution (an iPod in a credit card case) to third party retailers so this would not be without precedent. It makes a whole lot of sense.
Your idea has a lot going for it, but this isn't the device to deliver it. The wiring guide on the label is a dead giveaway.

The label describes individual wires, their color and and their
function: This is not a plug and play device for a mom and pop retail system. This is something that requires a electrician to strip insulation from individual wires and connect them up to other, variable-length, unterminated cable runs.

Building automation seems more likely IMHO.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I guess. To me, "retailers" are the Targets, Kohls, Best Buy's, etc. I don't see it working at that level at all.

Square's going after the individual merchants/small businesses. I could see an Apple device working at this level, but just don't think this is a market they'd want to get in (based on the headaches that comes with supporting it), but who knows.

Will be interesting to see.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

We got a HUGE discount on our POS system if we agreed to accept paypal on our system.
IOW! PAyPal subsidized our POS. Apple could do the same thing sort of.

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
No wifi would be required to be noted if it's a take off of an existing product that already had wifi approved... like The Apple TV

Certainly possible, but the article mentioned no wifi which would be a necessary component for it I think.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm guessing iPhone keyless security for the campus so employees can use their phones instead of id badges.
Its possible that this could be an internal access control device... They could be pairing OSDP or Wiegand on those lines.

I think y'all could very well be right that it's an EAC (electronic access control) point for their new HQ building and/or stores.

1) RS-485 would make sense as the wiring back to the central security computer.

Plus, after checking the FCC documents, two other things stand out:

2) The Bluetooth certification did not even have to meet SAR standards, because it only puts out about 2.5mW at about two inches. That's fairly low power, good for close distance comms.

3) Biggest clue is that the NFC results document... which only tests card reader modes... mentions using a "DoorSku" version for the EUT (equipment under test). Hello! Sure sounds like a badge reader, plus the shape seems right for one mounted next to a door.

image.jpeg

Not conclusive, but interesting evidence.

(posted from my ipad mini)

Last edited:

Bartvanderveer

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
It is a beacon for the new office:
The units are connected via the rs485 interface and are used for access control on the doors, badges are being read with the BT and/or the NFC antenna...

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I don't understand the excitement for an Echo like device.

We have our iDevices on us always with Siri...

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
BT but no wifi, and a wiring diagram with references to a low bandwidth serial communications protocol?

Likely a new BT 5 iBeacon spamming device. BT 5 features increased broadcast bandwidth so retailers can blast passersby with extra spam.

The NFC is for an Apple Store retailer app that can control the iBeacon.

theRedding

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
It's a thermostat. Apple will launch a load of IoT devices (compatible with HomeKit, of course) around this time next year.
It pretty much has to be given the "VDC" designation. Any other applications would run Volt A/C not Volts D/C.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
It's a Smart Home Hub.
Something like this by Panasonic.
http://www.panasonic.com/nz/consumer/home-monitoring/home-monitoring-accessories/kx-hnb600.html

I noticed that iOS10 has put home hub into the flip up control menu.
What intrigues me is will Apple's home hub include stuff like smart plugs, security cameras, smoke and CO detectors.
(ie Google buying Nest)
Or will it be an open system growing yet another app store like eco-system but for hardware/software solutions.
Owning the whole eco-system seems like the obvious business move but it's short term gains only.
Imagine if Apple had kept App on iOS closed offering Apple apps only?
Seems silly now but my first, original, mk1 iPhone had no app store...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.