Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

samsung_galaxy_tab_7_7.jpg

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7​
For those keeping up with the back and forth lawsuits between Samsung and Apple, Reuters reports that Apple has now filed suit against Samsung in Japan over patent violations related to the iPad and iPhone.
California-based Apple is seeking the suspension of sales of Samsung's handsets in Japan, as well as 100 million yen ($1.3 million) in damages, Kyodo added, citing sources familiar with the matter.
Samsung had previously filed a lawsuit against Apple in several countries including Japan. This latest news is just another step in the legal escalation.

Apple recently won a preliminary injunction against the sale and promotion of the Galaxy Tab 7.7 in Germany.

Article Link: Apple Sues Samsung in Japan over iPad and iPhone Patents

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Urg... Please! Make them stop!

Look, I do feel that Apple have a right to defend their patents. Every time I look at these products; i.e. the iPod, iPhone, the iPad, I see products that have shaped the world that we live in dramatically. I do feel that setting up systems to run exactly like the apple product is.. well, the cheap way out.

But then again, every other piece of technology on the market has been the same. Everyone has essentially tried to rip off and replicate something else that has been successful.

Long term, I can't see this being a good thing for Apple. If they start losing, they're going to find themselves swamped by cheap clones.

I do hope that this is more about leverage while negotiating licences, than anything else.

ahbdesign

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The more and more this happens, the more and more I feel that Apple's "new" phone (whenever it releases this year) will look like a type of "samsung" phone

Last edited:

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I'm so over this! The whole world knows that apple did the pad (successfully) first. Let's move on and innovate with the iPad3 or iPhone5.

This tit for tat is just detracting from Apple's brand image now.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
The more and more this happens, the more and more I feel that Apple's "new" phone (whenever it releases this year will look like a type of "samsung" phone

Well. yeah.

If Samsung is copying an Apple design then surely anything Apple now produce will look like Samsung stuff.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Apple recently won a preliminary injunction against the sale and promotion of the Galaxy Tab 7.7 in Germany.

Erm, a preliminary injunction in Germany is granted without hearing the defendant or checking the application beyond just having a probability of success. So Apple won nothing and in case of failing in the main hearing they may well face pretty steep compensations for damages.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

meh can we have a patent news filter. this isnt even a "rumor" and makes me tempted to buy a samsung more and more.

- sent from my iPhone 5

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Listen peeps. Everyone moaning about apple suing. Apple have to sue or they lose any claims to their patents.
The courts will rule and that will be that.
These big companies will lie, spy, copy and cheat to succeed in this world and because of that we have these rather pesky patents and court actions.

Let's sit back and see what happens. I think apple will win some and lose some, but if they don't take legal action then they lose all by default.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Listen peeps. Everyone moaning about apple suing. Apple have to sue or they lose any claims to their patents.
The courts will rule and that will be that.
These big companies will lie, spy, copy and cheat to succeed in this world and because of that we have these rather pesky patents and court actions.

Let's sit back and see what happens. I think apple will win some and lose some, but if they don't take legal action then they lose all by default.

I don't think anyone is complaining about Apple suing. Just really bored of it being headline news every 30 seconds.

Just saying.

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I'm so over this! The whole world knows that apple did the pad (successfully) first. Let's move on and innovate with the iPad3 or iPhone5.

No it isn't. The average consumer barely notices this, nor do they care. They aren't exactly clamouring for iPad alternatives, either.

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
How can you copy natural looking aesthetics?

I mean rectangle with button in the middle is hardly a patent is it?

Apple you have nothing here....just keep making a better product and dont look back.....

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Nope, patents don't work like that. They can be selectively enforced.

It's quite the contrary with patents, if you sue using them, you risk the court invalidating the claims of a patent and lose that patent. If you sit on it, you keep it for the duration set by laws in the country of issuance.

You're thinking trademarks. Those need to be enforced at all times or you risk trademark dilution and eventually losing the mark all together.

Speaking of, the ruling of the lawsuit of samsung is in germany today, right?

9th.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Nope, patents don't work like that. They can be selectively enforced.

It's quite the contrary with patents, if you sue using them, you risk the court invalidating the claims of a patent and lose that patent. If you sit on it, you keep it for the duration set by laws in the country of issuance.

You're thinking trademarks. Those need to be enforced at all times or you risk trademark dilution and eventually losing the mark all together.

9th.

Oh right. I thought ita friday lol 2 months holidays is messing with my head

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

Outside of tech blogs? I don't think many people know about this or care.

Anyway, isn't this basically the same lawsuit just being filed in different countries? Not like it's anything "new".

Vegasman

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010

They could also take the route Microsoft is taking using licensing. Microsoft just inked two new Android related licensing agreements; this time with Acer and Viewsonic.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Welcome to maclitigation.com.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
We get it...Apple is run by complete morons.

Now, lets save the lengthly debate on what the definition of patent troll is before LTD joins in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_troll

By the standard definition NOBODY who produces a product using that patent is a patent troll. That doesn't mean they aren't Patent Jerks though ;)

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

Is the Galaxy that much of a threat?

Or is this a warning shot for every tablet maker out there?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
How can you copy natural looking aesthetics?

I mean rectangle with button in the middle is hardly a patent is it?

Apple you have nothing here....just keep making a better product and dont look back.....

Because Apple's designs are typically very simple and minimalist, they're much more prone to similar designs appearing on the market. IMO, it SHOULD be much harder to protect/patent a simple, basic design like the iPad's (or Samsung Tab's or Samsung picture frame's) than a more quirky, stylised design.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

Is the Galaxy that much of a threat?

Or is this a warning shot for every tablet maker out there?

the samsung galaxy s2 is probably doing too well for them overseas. but who can blame the customer if they take over 1,5 years to even announce a new iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.