Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Couple years behind schedule!

Please don't do that, Apple.
As an Android long time user, I hate OLED with a passion.

I am still holding out hope that Apple will go with Micro LCD.

Along with OLEDs, mLEDs are primarily aimed at small, low-energy devices such as smartwatches and smartphones. OLED and mLED both offer greatly reduced energy requirements compared to conventional LCD systems. Unlike OLED, mLED is based on conventional GaN LED technology, which offers far higher total brightness than OLED products, as much as 30 times, as well as higher efficiency in terms of lux/W. It also does not suffer from the shorter lifetimes of OLED, although the multi-year lifespan of modern OLEDs has mitigated this issue in most roles.

Reactions: Kettil

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I prefer OLED. DEATH TO LCD!

I also prefer some of Samsung Design choices over Apple's. I skipped the iP7 because of this and hopeful for something radical on the iP8. Bring on the innovation please!

desmond2046

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Columbus, OH, United States
I just want a good display. I don't care what type of technology it implements.
I'd say the current display on iPhone 7 Plus looks very good and several benchmarks show it is one of the best on the market. Do you guys really want a crappy OLED display?

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Hopefully Apple does not use the curved display. It distorts the images at the edges. It also greatly reduces the effectiveness of protective bumper cases. As the sides are left more exposed. I think it is an impractical gimmick.

This +1000. Curved screens on a phone like the Edge are sooooo gimmicky and pointless IMO. I really have never understood the desire for curved screens on a device that small. The only time they make sense is on super large TVs or projector screens. A smaller bezel and OLED/MicroLED display with true black are very welcome, but I'd rather keep curved screens away from the iPhone for now.

I feel like the Edge never would have existed if we didn't have those early Apple rumors from the iPhone 5S days about how the iPhone 6 was going to have a "screen that curves at the edges". When all we got was glass that curves at the edges, Samsung had already designed their S6 Edge (it came out about 6 months later) and figured the concept would still sell, even if to this day there is really not much use for the curved part of the screen except maybe to look cool. If it was a compelling idea, others would have adopted it by now, but most people agree that it is largely useless.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I just want a good display. I don't care what type of technology it implements.
I'd say the current display on iPhone 7 Plus looks very good and several benchmarks show it is one of the best on the market. Do you guys really want a crappy OLED display?

If they can nail the colors, QA, and other tricky aspects of OLED, I'd gladly welcome the true blacks. Comparing my Apple Watch to my iPhone 7, the iPhone looks better to me under any significant light, but the true blacks on the watch are very nice in the dark.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Late to the game by a number of years as always, Apple.
Late to the game, but likely best at the game. That's their philosophy, so would you expect any different?
[doublepost=1477924155][/doublepost]
To be fair, coming late to the OLED game was a smart move. Apple missed most of the growing pains of OLED. The tech has matured enough to be beyond most of the early shortcomings. If Apple does make the move, they're pretty much using tried and true tech.
Completely agree. QA with OLED is a nightmare compared to LCD.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Here's a thought: The new iPhone is supposed to have significantly reduced bezels with no home button, right? What if Apple pulls a MacBook Pro and puts a Touch Bar at the bottom of the device where the chin used to be? They could also have Touch ID down there and everything. Then they could just cut off the forehead to just enough for the speaker/camera unless they figure that out, and boom, you've got a smaller iPhone 8 with Touch Bar. It could be a whole toolbar area to redefine how apps work and provide more room on the display for content with the controls below that could change with each app used and maybe a force touch on it would work like a home button or way to quickly slide through apps in multitasking.

As for OLED itself, I wish they would just skip it and implement mLED but it might be too early for that.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Here's a thought: The new iPhone is supposed to have significantly reduced bezels with no home button, right? What if Apple pulls a MacBook Pro and puts a Touch Bar at the bottom of the device where the chin used to be? They could also have Touch ID down there and everything. Then they could just cut off the forehead to just enough for the speaker/camera unless they figure that out, and boom, you've got a smaller iPhone 8 with Touch Bar. It could be a whole toolbar area to redefine how apps work and provide more room on the display for content with the controls below that could change with each app used and maybe a force touch on it would work like a home button or way to quickly slide through apps in multitasking.

As for OLED itself, I wish they would just skip it and implement mLED but it might be too early for that.

Yes I can't wait for MicroLED! As for the Touch Bar idea, why wouldn't they just try to expand the entire screen, instead of making two separate screens? You could still have the bottom portion devoted to controls, or not. I suppose it all depends on whether they can get Touch ID reliable from beneath the screen, since I'm pretty sure they will never put it on the back of the phone like many Androids have.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Please don't do that, Apple.
As an Android long time user, I hate OLED with a passion.

Not all Android phones have OLED. Android users have choice and can pick a brand that has one or not. if you really hate OLED, you will have to switch away from iOS. Apple way or the highway.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Hopefully Apple does not use the curved display. It distorts the images at the edges. It also greatly reduces the effectiveness of protective bumper cases. As the sides are left more exposed. I think it is an impractical gimmick.

iPhones already have curved glass. What apple will likely do is keep the same form factor and put an OLED behind the same glass, less the bezels, home button, camera etc.

Last edited:

vooke

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2014
They have stretched LCD to the maximum and fanboys are still craving for 'newer features'. OLED will silence them for a few mo this regardless of whether it will be any better

LimerickRunner

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2016
I use an s7 edge and iPhone 6 Plus, this weekend I have been using my iPhone exclusively and it is a much nicer screen than the edge, I reckon when Apple do Oled the will do it right, I don't honestly think Samsung always does things best, they might use latest tech but not get the best out of it.. The quality in apples products is the love they put into them, unparalleled with any other company in the industry. also I'm an not exclusive Apple user, I have surface pro 4, surface book, gear s2, aswell as I like to get the latest tech but I don't have any other products that are better than apples.

teflonthadon

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Couple years behind schedule!
Well with the cons of OLED I just hope they took this time to research and get it right. I like OLED but there are some serious issues too
[doublepost=1477925002][/doublepost]
Not in a million years. I will greatly miss it though, just as I miss my dvd,cd/cassete players. And my favorite of all, floppy disk (still can't get over the floppy disk removal)
Or laserdisc

teflonthadon

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Costant burn-in on every Samsung flagship I ever even owned, last one being S6, and piss-yellow whites.
I'll probably never own an iPhone but I have no problem admitting their IPS displays look far more natural and beautiful than any Samsung.
I read a nice piece on OLED vs LCD … I was astonished by the insuperiority and like you said the piss poor white colour and burn-in issue. And iOS has a lot of white including the top bar

Suspended
Jun 23, 2016
New York and Berlin

That's essentially what may be happening, but I can't confirm or deny anything. Maximizing the display without increasing its overall size utilizing a [strong as hell] glass structure is the main focus. Touch ID might be built into the entire display or remain at the bottom without a home button, hence the change in this years models. The front camera may be centered behind the display, improving FaceTime focus and front photographs while removing it at the top (there's a patent for this concept dating ~3 years ago or more). The earpiece is the only remaining obstacle. Moving it to the very top edge off the display while maintaining crisp audio quality is challenging. Another reason for using the earpiece as a dual speaker for stereo audio in the current iPhone is a move to test the waters, just as the changes in the home button.

If everything works out in time for production, the display sizes may not be indicative of the device size. Removing the top and bottom bezels while maintaining and improving functionality while also retaining the proper display ratio without a wider device will be key challenges. If it cannot be resolved in time for mass production, this may be why the larger iPhone may be different. However, as it will be the iPhones 10 year anniversary, the pressure is on to ensure a fully redesigned iPhone line that may include a 4" size due to the massive success of this years iPhone SE, rounding out the line in three sizes as other products.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yes I can't wait for MicroLED! As for the Touch Bar idea, why wouldn't they just try to expand the entire screen, instead of making two separate screens? You could still have the bottom portion devoted to controls, or not. I suppose it all depends on whether they can get Touch ID reliable from beneath the screen, since I'm pretty sure they will never put it on the back of the phone like many Androids have.
Well, to make it consistent with the MacBook Pro and to call it the iPhone Pro and charge more money for it, lol. But seriously, just looking at the Touch Bar with the Touch ID sensor on the side makes me think this. It would also allow Apple to increase the screen height without changing the aspect ratio, which could explain OLED as when it's playing a 16:9 video in landscape they could just turn off the black pixels on the side, or maybe leave up the outline of a home button or some playback controls. It's really tricky to implement and I haven't worked through it fully in my head but I think they could pull it off. The main thing I wonder about is whether they would be willing to have an "uneven" look to the display with the bezel more flush on the top than on the bottom when that section of the display is black—which again is why that could be a control area. They could keep existing apps as-is and developers would only have to add support for the Touch Bar at the bottom. The main thing is there needs to be some kind of common zone for the virtual home button if the device is all glass. IDK if a triple layer deep 3D Touch press anywhere on the screen would make for a good replacement. The Taptic Engine, at least in it's current form, only really gives you that sense of "clickiness" on the bottom of the iPhone 7.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I see no complaints about the Apple Watch display quality. Only accolades.

Usually, the whites are contrasting against a black background on the Apple Watch. Most of my OLED phones really only showed this horrible piss colored whites with a different contrast such as red going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.