Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Are we sure these aren't test screens for the next/next generation iPhone?

Because the volumme (a couple dozen at most for test devices) isn't enough to trip anyone's radar. Seems too early for next iphone displays to be shipping now.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
I don't care how big the next screen is, just as long as they don't make the device itself bigger.

I find most phones with 4" screens to be bulky and hideous, and hardly "mobile". And most people carry their phones in their pockets.

If hey can fit the 4" screen on an iPhone the same size as the 4/4S great, but I honestly doubt they can. I guess at least it won't be that much bigger if at all. But if 4" next iPhone, what's going to be on the one after that? 4.5"? 5"?

Let the fragmentation begin.

rockrigo

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
in this thread I have learned that a .5" increase to the screen somehow turns it into a tablet/TV

also what kind of pants do you wear that you can't fit, lets say a Galaxy S in your pocket

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Please keep it 3.5". After using my friends Galaxy S2 for a couple hours recently, I have to say it is quite cool, but from a usage and practicality point of view, 3.5" is ideal. On the other hand, the colors from that AMOLED screen puts the iPhone to shame. If anything, I hope apple will improve the quality of the future display, not the size. On the other hand, I could see them going for a 4" screen in an iPod Touch. To differentiate it from the iPhone. But I think that would cause some issues for devs.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

4 inch screen sounds good to me.

tehFish

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
I'm guessing the move to a 4" screen is inevitable, but to be honest if I wanted a 4" screen or larger I'd get an Android device.

After having and testing a Evo 4G last year I can honestly say that I like the size of my iPhone 4 better. It's smaller and less bulky in my hands, the Retina Display gives me much better resolution as well.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Just like I said, Apple will most definitely move to a 4 inch screen and all sheep will sing it's praise. The phone will get slightly bigger, and every single one of you will have absolutely no problem with it. Every single one of you who have called android phones too big, will not care in the least that your beloved iPhone has become bigger. This is 100% guaranteed. And we all know it. So stop talking like you don't want it to get bigger, or that your ok with a 4 inch screen as long as the phone overall doesn't get bigger. Your going to buy one regardless.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
To all who voted for a 4" Screen: "Remember Steve." He won't be happy.
Although you still will have a choice as there will be a device with a 3.5" screen :apple:

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
If apple made it a 4" screen without compromising the current physical size (as in, make the screen bigger but not the whole phone, so edge to edge screen) I might be interested, but iOS will still lag in customization (android wins here) and I dont think I can come to terms being forced to use iTunes, that needs to be optional.

ArnieX

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
No Apple please don't!!

I've been shaking afraid of what is coming up from Apple before iP4S has been revealed and I was like ... aaaaaaa well it stays same as iP4 and it was best news for me before. But I'm shaking again what the **** is going to happen with iP5.. I don't wanna see 4" display or etc. else. Design of iP4/S is just amazing and I wouldn't change that much, it could be maybe great if they would make these stainless steal bands rounded littlebit and thinner. Or just thinner. It wouldn't be great if they make it 4" that is not what people wants or need. Please Apple keep up this 3.5 just make higher resolution again :)

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
4", but only because I think Apple could do it by reducing the bezels and possibly eliminating the home button. If it means a physically larger phone (unless by a small margin), no thanks.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
If they go to a 4 inch display, I hope they maintain the same pixel density.

MacAudioPro

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Just like I said, Apple will most definitely move to a 4 inch screen and all sheep will sing it's praise. The phone will get slightly bigger, and every single one of you will have absolutely no problem with it. Every single one of you who have called android phones too big, will not care in the least that your beloved iPhone has become bigger. This is 100% guaranteed. And we all know it. So stop talking like you don't want it to get bigger, or that your ok with a 4 inch screen as long as the phone overall doesn't get bigger. Your going to buy one regardless.

QFT - The posts will go like this:

"Because Apple's 4" screen is done so elegantly, unlike the crappy and clunky Android phones, the new 4" iPhone changes everything!!! It's revolutionary!!! And so sexy!!!! It's gorgeous!!! It just looks delicious with it's tasty new look. I'm sure this is one of the things that Steve was working on and left as his personal gift to all of us!!! We all can pay tribute to him by running out and buying one, whether our contracts are up or not!!! "

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
I would love them to put a 4" screen on the next gen iPhone but I wouldn't want them to spoil the form factor in doing so.

Also I wouldn't want it to dramatically effect battery life or the weight of the device but I'm sure apples umpa lumpas are working away on these issues.

rellimie

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
The current design is perfect. My brother has a phone with a 4 " screen and my gf has a phone with a 3.7" screen. Both are slightly too big for one handed operation. I have larger than average size hands and my thumb doesn't reach across the screen without loosening my grip on the phone.

I don't get the obsession with large screens. Yes they are nice looking but it's a PIA to have to use two hands on your phone every time you want to do something quick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.