Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has told part and component manufacturers of its new MacBook Pro line-up to expect strong shipments to last until at least the end of 2016, according to sources in the upstream supply chain (via DigiTimes).

Apple is reportedly optimistic about fourth-quarter sales of its new notebooks and expects MacBook Pro shipments to maintain the same level going into 2017, said the sources, while related revenues and profits are all projected to enjoy growth next year.

2016_macbook_pro_lineup.jpg

The same sources noted that Apple was initially not very aggressive about placing new MacBook Pro orders and was also said to have delayed the product shipment schedule by a calendar quarter, due to low yield rates for some components including hinges, battery and keyboard.

Apple's stance changed after the October launch, however, and some market analysts now expect MacBook Pro shipments to reach 15 million units in 2016, with shipments staying at that level in 2017.

Meanwhile, Taiwanese ODM manufacturer Wistron has reportedly landed orders for the OLED Touch Bar strip used in Apple's higher tier notebooks, according to a report in the Economic Daily News (EDN), summarized by DigiTimes.

The Chinese language daily quoted market watchers who said that the keyboard is hard to build and its original Singapore-based supplier was having difficulties meeting Apple's demand, prompting Apple to transfer orders to Wistron.

The delayed launch of the new MacBook Pros was partly because of low yields of the keyboards, but shipments are starting to pick up as yield rates improve, said EDN.

Article Link: Apple Tells Suppliers to Expect Strong MacBook Pro Shipments Going into 2017

Last edited:

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Personally... I could deal with the dongles, but no memory card slot... not so much. I have a storage adaptor that works with a microSD card and rests flush with the side when inserted. Serves as an extra hard drive, primarily for Plex stuff. I'll stick with my recent 13" MBP until it doesn't work any more ;)

Screenshot of Google Chrome (11-8-16, 5-33-04 PM).png

Last edited:

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
Its mostly ppl who have negative things to say that go to online forums and complain, probably millions of ppl that are happy with a computer that have better performance and screen than previous years model, more versatile and faster in/out ports. And added functionality on keyboard.

And most ppl who afford macbooks have enough money to get a couple adaptors during this transition phase to a new standard

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Apple has told part and component manufacturers of its new MacBook Pro line-up to expect strong shipments to last until at least the end of 2016, according to sources in the upstream supply chain (via DigiTimes).

AKA we made too many (because we thought demand would be high) and we will be shipping a ******** of them hoping you can sell it!

Last edited by a moderator:

nitschi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Professionals are (rightfully) complaining, but that won't stop the flashy Starbucks crowd from wanting the latest shiny toy.
Yeah, because there's only either "professionals" or Starbucks hipsters.. *sigh*

I, for one, am a "professional" (considering I'm using the MacBooks for running my company) and will most probably buy one of the new MacBook Pros, although I'm not happy with several choices Apple has made - it's still the most attractive option on the laptop market for me.

But keep simplifying.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
If everyone is hating the new MacBook pro, then who's buying it.

The hate for the new MBP is coming from the kind of people who spend time on sites like this and tend to have a much better knowledge of the products and what they want in them. To the general computer consumers the new MBP has a cool factor and will sell great, even with the high price tag.

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
I can understand people being angry about Apple axing the audio optical out. It may not be used be "über"-pros. But I know quite some musicians who use it when playing in smaller venues like bars and pubs etc.

Having said that I guess demand is big in china. Chinese people only care about the image - hell most of the Chinese even run MS Windows on their Macs. But show off value is more important.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Professionals are (rightfully) complaining, but that won't stop the flashy Starbucks crowd from wanting the latest shiny toy.

You'd almost think Apple was a for-profit company that follow market forces!
[doublepost=1478602215][/doublepost]
They said the same thing about iPhone 7, still sold less than the last model. Apple PR spin.

Ridiculous. Apple's supply chain partnerships are everything to them and they would never risk their name in that space for PR.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I can understand people being angry about Apple axing the audio optical out. It may not be used be "über"-pros. But I know quite some musicians who use it when playing in smaller venues like bars and pubs etc.

Having said that I guess demand is big in china. Chinese people only care about the image - hell most of the Chinese even run MS Windows on their Macs. But show off value is more important.

Nice generalization of Chinese people. I trust you know all 1 billion+ that is why you can make such assumptions?

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
4 USB-C / thunderbolt ports is going to be an amazing thing to have in a year. Between the file transfer speed and being able to connect to 5K monitors and daisy chain perfireals ... this will change the workflows of professionals in a meaningful way. Nothing is future proof but this computers lifespan will increase. Only short term thinkers (and people who truly need > 16meg - blame intel) will complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.