Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Apple explained that and dozens of people repeated it. They gave specific reasons for getting rid of the 3.5" jack on an iPhone. Amazingly, none of those really apply to the MacBook Pro. It's lazy oversimplifications like this that make tech stories hard to follow. "Oh yeah Apple simply said it was obsolete old technology"... While leaving out the numerous technical reasons. In fact, if they DID leave the jack out of the MBP, people would be crying that they lied about the reasons for removing it in the iPhone.

I must have missed something then. From memory, the only reasons I remember were waterproofing and courage.

The waterproofing doesn't make sense. Many other technologies are waterproof and include the a headphone jack.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Then it started updating without telling me it was.
Then I used a website and downloaded something that has locked all my files and is asking for ransom money.
Then they wiped my computer.
But I've still got my ps4 so thats ok! :)
That sounds like you don't know how to use a computer. A Mac is definitely your best option. I recommend the Air.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm not surprised by this, there is pent up demand for new Macbook's, and the people who have posted on forums do not represent the overall majority of people who are still happy with Apple products.

Reactions: Xtremjeepn

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
I think i will hold off until is refreshed as i don't need a new Macbook Pro, my 2013 is still great. I'm complaining, but i would still buy, my complaint is the removal of MagSafe. But since its only Macbooks that came with MagSafe buying an HP, Dell or Acer won't fix the situation.

Reactions: HVDynamo

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
If everyone is hating the new MacBook pro, then who's buying it.

People here seem to think there's no life outside the sites they read.
Everyone on this blog only, accurately analyzing the product, hates it. Just a small percentage of buyers. Many people just buy.
Also, reviewers all around the web are much less catastrphic than comments here, they mostly care about usability and it's not that bad. That touch bar is also a big selling point for people curious about unusual stuff.

Well, anyway, Apple could just be simply too optimistic or cheating...

Reactions: JDGwf

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
If everyone is hating the new MacBook pro, then who's buying it.

People with deep pockets.
People who need a new Mac laptop, can't face the hassle of switching platforms and are just going to groan and pay up.People who don't already have a struggle justifying the extra cost of a Mac over a generic PC when ordering equipment for work.
People who get excited about touch bars showing emojis*

Heck, odds are I'll end up giving up and buying one myself... not like the Windows Surface stuff is that much cheaper... but the underlying price hike + the exchange rate adjustments + £200 worth of new cables (we're not talking about *a*
£25 cable here) is hard to shrug off. Yes, once you've got all those cables & docks, life will be better, but the money has to come from somewhere. Justifying them for work, though, could be a pain with the new price of the "base" model far too high for a MacBook Air replacement & no "base" 15" for people who just want a bigger screen. Methinks people will be getting refurbs...

Seriously, am I the only one who, 90% of the time, has the Mac on a stand and uses an external keyboard? What's the point of a touchbar unless they produce a full size external keyboard with one... and no, if I wanted a laptop-sized keyboard with no key travel, no number pad and scrunched-up cursor keys I wouldn't be using an external keyboard...

* now, as real pro users will know, if they'd demoed the touchbar showing the tools for Minecraft, they'd have had people's attention :)

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
There are other things that professionals use that were removed from the new Mac so not the best argument.

Yes, because removing legacy ports makes sense when you're including USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports that have the bandwidth and compatibility to handle pretty much any peripheral connection you can think of. There's no need for the laptop to act as the hub anymore. The user can buy an external hub that contains the number/variety of legacy ports that suits their purposes best and then plug it into a single USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
You cannot really blame Apple for releasing such an underwhelming laptop like the new 2016 MacBook Pro. If the public still buy their iDevices in droves no matter how much they are lacking in functionality at a high retail price then Apple know they can get away with it. If on the other hand sales of Apple's iDevices were getting poor then Apple would start releasing exciting and innovative devices again that rival Microsoft's excellent Surface Studio.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
People with deep pockets.
People who need a new Mac laptop, can't face the hassle of switching platforms and are just going to groan and pay up.People who don't already have a struggle justifying the extra cost of a Mac over a generic PC when ordering equipment for work.
People who get excited about touch bars showing emojis*

Heck, odds are I'll end up giving up and buying one myself... not like the Windows Surface stuff is that much cheaper... but the underlying price hike + the exchange rate adjustments + £200 worth of new cables (we're not talking about *a*
£25 cable here) is hard to shrug off. Yes, once you've got all those cables & docks, life will be better, but the money has to come from somewhere. Justifying them for work, though, could be a pain with the new price of the "base" model far too high for a MacBook Air replacement & no "base" 15" for people who just want a bigger screen. Methinks people will be getting refurbs...

Seriously, am I the only one who, 90% of the time, has the Mac on a stand and uses an external keyboard? What's the point of a touchbar unless they produce a full size external keyboard with one... and no, if I wanted a laptop-sized keyboard with no key travel, no number pad and scrunched-up cursor keys I wouldn't be using an external keyboard...

* now, as real pro users will know, if they'd demoed the touchbar showing the tools for Minecraft, they'd have had people's attention :)

I am buying it. It has the best Trackpad in the market, the best build quality and has Mac OS which is stable enough without bloatware. Also, at work I use a Mac which makes it easy to use a Mac at home as well.

Also, I really tried hard to find a Windows laptop but all have compromises like small screen estate (most of them are 13") and crappy trackpads.

Once Windows laptops fix this, I'll be moving. For me Apple still has the lead in this department although I agree it's not good value for money, but not everything in life has to be

Beer Wig

Suspended
Nov 6, 2016

That's the thing the touch bar is simply a gimmick. What pro user would want a price bump with a touch bar over a quad core processor in those 13" models? The touch bar is analogous to the thumb print function on your iPhone or the large track pad on the macbook itself. It's the expected benefit of buying an Apple product not something that should increase the price.

Reactions: ackmondual and -hh

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
I refuse to beliveve these things will be big sellers. I just refuse.

Apple might as well jack up the price by another $700 or $800 per machine, because apparently there are some people who will literally buy ANYTHING with an Apple logo on it... and will gladly pay any price for the privilege of doing so.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
If the public still buy their iDevices in droves no matter how much they are lacking in functionality then Apple know they can get away with it.

This is too true. But who can blame Apple? If people keep buying them regardless of how underwhelming they are, why change anything?

I have a 2014 MBP and was ready to upgrade. But I won't be - I don't see the point in spending £2k+ for a computer that's less capable than my current one.

The sad thing about this is that it means Mac sales will continue to decline and Apple will be telling us all that it's because no-one uses traditional computers anymore. So they'll just pile more resources into the iPad.

I am just amazed that Microsoft and Google aren't really trying to take the market. The Surface Studio looks awesome, but everything Windows is a mess.

And Google's Chromebook is no good for most users. Why aren't Google releasing a full OS and trying to take the market (like they did with Android)?

Reactions: HVDynamo

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
About half of the people in my circle who own MBP's are upgrading to the new model, but all of us initially intended to upgrade. I guess the rest of us are going to either wait or change platforms - it's not as big a deal as it used to be.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Rich students who only use it for FB and WWW. To them, thin and the latest are cool. They don't need the performance.

Sure...it just doesn't have the performance.

https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355

"I finally got my MBP to do a teeny bit of back and forth swapping as I pushed up close (15GB) to the 16GB memory limit. I have to open almost every last thing on my system. Here’s what I ran:

• VMwarei Fusion: Three running virtual machines (Windows 10, macOS Sierra, Debian Linux)
  • Adobe Photoshop CC: Four 1+gb 36 MP professional, multi-layer photos
  • Adobe InDesign CC: A 22 page photography-intensive project
  • Adobe Bridge CC: Browsing a folder with 163GB photos (307 images total)
  • DxO Optics Pro: (Pro-photography workflow software) Editing a folder of images
  • Xcode: Five production Objective-C projects, all cleaned and rebuilt
  • Microsoft PowerPoint: A slide deck presentation
  • Microsoft Word: Fifteen different chapters (separate .doc files) from my last book
  • Microsoft Excel: A single workbook
  • MachOView: Analyzing a daemon binary
  • Mozilla FireFox: Four different websites, each in a separate window
  • Safari: Eleven different websites, each in a separate window
  • Preview: Three PDF books, including one very graphic intensive book
  • Hopper Disassembler: Performing an analysis on a binary
  • WireShark: Performing a live network capture as I do all of this
  • IDA Pro 64-bit: Analyzing a 64-bit intel binary
  • Apple Mail: Viewing four mailboxes
  • Tweetbot: Reading all the flames and trolls in my mentions
  • iBooks: Currently viewing an ebook I paid for
  • Terminal: A few sessions idling
  • iTunes
  • Little Flocker
  • Little Snitch
  • OverSight
  • Finder
  • Calendar
  • Contacts
  • Photos
  • Veracrypt
  • Activity Monitor
  • Path Finder
  • Console
  • Probably a lot I’ve missed"

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
I think it's time to move on from dongle/ram/port/cost-gate. Pros and consumers have a choice. I'm disappointed in some decisions and still can't believe I've spent over £3000 on a laptop! But Apple has always been this way. I make my living using a Mac and can always charge a bit more to cover the cost - that's what many 'pro's' do.

Been using Macs since 1990 and I don't intend to change now. I understand people jumping to PCs because of cost but because of spec is entirely ridiculous and they clearly know little about how Macs work in the real world (vertical integration). They are doing it for the 'look at my comment' attention. Wait for the benchmarks, see how developers embrace the touch bar, try one out... and then if you're not happy go get a Dell. Although I can't ever imagine doing that.

I can't wait to see the real reviews and for all the grouching and attention-seeking to stop. Roll on delivery - I'm all dongled up and ready to rock! (And to make money with it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.