Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Riiiight. Is this the same forum that is filled with posters endlessly bitching about glossy screens, and can't read it if it's not e-ink, and pixel density, and resolution and viewing angles...and you think seeing all the distractions through the screen is "cool"?:eek:
It's a proof of concept. People have such a lack of imagination sometimes. Down the road, transparent screens could provide some incredible advantages.

I'm sure some imagination-less people also thought flat screens were silly at first. ("Why pay THOUSANDS of dollars when you can just sit a thicker one on your desk anyway?? Gosh!"). Same probably went for touch screens when they were first introduced in their primitive form. Now we're carrying little flat touch screens around in our pockets.

heartsleeve

macrumors newbie
Are you a student yourself, hoping it will be great for you maybe ?

I don't see apple making a device that is specificly for students, specially with the pricetag you can expect from apple.

Neither do i think it will be anything like a wacom but more like a large iphone with much more functionallity in it, don't ask me what only steve and a few others know that at this point of course.

I agree on your last sentence there ;-).

Anyways, after seeing all the tablets from the CES, that are basicly all the same, i really want to see what steve and his people came up with this time around, if would be so owsome if they could pull the same trick as they did with the iPhone ( now all brands call there devices multi touch ), all over again, can't wait.

No, I'm not a student, altho they say one is never too old to learn... I am sure it will be a multi-functional, multi-faceted gizmo that appeals to readers, researchers, students in addition to gameplayers, music lovers, etc.

I merely meant that one of the applications for this device would be handy for ANYONE, not merely college or hs students, who is looking for a platform to assemble in one easily transportable place, info or data like one would find in textbooks, magazines, research journals etc (in addition to all the other bells and whistles Steve Jobs likes to bombard us with).

iSlate - a kindle, wrapped in an iPhone, impersonating a macbook etc etc...

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Steep Learning Curve???

What ever happened to this "Steep Learning Curve"??? Did we ever get closure on this? Was it just intentional misinformation from Apple to throw us all off and/or get us all unnecessarily excited about a new UI... or did these people all see something that may be coming in an iPad2 or iPad3?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
What ever happened to this "Steep Learning Curve"??? Did we ever get closure on this? Was it just intentional misinformation from Apple to throw us all off and/or get us all unnecessarily excited about a new UI... or did these people all see something that may be coming in an iPad2 or iPad3?

Yes there is closure as the ipad has been released and we know what the UI is like...

Good job on the necro-thread by the way

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

1. iPad interface is intuitive
2. Intuitive iPad interface and great hardware propels iPad to leapfrog other devices

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
^^^^^^
What he said

bd1b47c3_Bump3.jpg

ALostGeneration

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
Maybe it's not clear that a steep learning curve does, actually, mean easy to use.

A learning curve is a line that denotes how much one learns (vertical axis), over a certain period of time (horizontal access). Therefore the steeper the curve, the more one can learn over a shorter period of time.

However, this rumor is so vague that it's obnoxious.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
now it will apply to mac os x lion the guy giving the demo couldnt even figure out how to make it work.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003

Most likely, if truly reported by an Apple employee, this was one of the "false information secrets" that Apple management supposedly spreads to different business units to catch people that are leaking secrets.

This employee probably no longer works at Apple.

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Learning Curve

Around 2000 got a Apple Newton MP100 handed down from a colleague. Id had many flaws (Battery, Sync, Cable, no apps, etc) but I still remember it was the first thing which could recognize my handwriting with perfect accuracy. I have never seen anything coming close ... to write on the Newt you needed to use a stylus (plastic pen).

On touch-screen: the finger is not really accurate enough for handwriting (at least mine) - and one way to fix this would be 3D gestures. This is quite a hurdle to start ... but the traditional touch-keyboard would be available as well.

gr8ful

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
I agree, this thread should be closed. I think it is apparent that the topic was way off-base to begin with. I personally don't think it was the result of an Apple mis-information campaign given how secretive Apple is, especially with a revolutionary product. I think it was purely based in someone speculating and trying to generate conversation about something that only a few deep within Apple really knew how it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.