Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I really like the look of the metal bands but I think I'm leaning towards the sport bands just to keep things lighter. I don't wear a watch now so wearing one will be a big enough change without any added weight. Not that its much but any will be a difference.

Looking forward to it. Already feel a little guilty for spending the cash and its not even out. Its just that I know its on my to-buy list.

----------

What would be in the leak? Its already been shown on stage, on Tim and in ad's. Not being snarky, just curious what a leak would show other than more of what they have already shown us.

I wonder how there were no leaks of the Apple Watch leading up to it's unveiling last year, but when compared to the iPhones before unveiling there are always many leaks. This makes me think that all iPhone leaks are done at Apple's will.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
What would be in the leak? Its already been shown on stage, on Tim and in ad's. Not being snarky, just curious what a leak would show other than more of what they have already shown us.

Empty shells, closer look at the inside of the watch, sensors, S1 chip etc.

Also the battery and its specifications. There's a lot interesting stuff we haven't seen yet. And the bare screen component.

The Watch is actually one of the devices I eager to see disassembled and stripped apart to see all the components. It's not really a surprise what an iPhone / iPad / Macbook looks like on the inside. We have yet to see a detailed look at the Watch's inside.

And how about a video with an Apple Watch running almost final software? Only time we have seen the software was at a 100% staged keynote.

----------

I wonder how there were no leaks of the Apple Watch leading up to it's unveiling last year, but when compared to the iPhones before unveiling there are always many leaks. This makes me think that all iPhone leaks are done at Apple's will.

All stuff we saw on the keynote were manufactured at Apple's headquarters. They have machines to do full production of prototype units. But not chips etc. and they cannot make the sapphire themselves. But still amazing.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

You are thinking wrong. Leaks of new product introductions are always quite limited in numbers. Also the iPhone and the iPad didn't see a lot of these before their introductions. That is because Apple is actually quite good at keeping secrets, and it is also quite easy to control because most of the new products are confined to small labs in the Apple headquarters.

It is different once the products are in full production. That's when supply-chain become so massive, and many third parties become involved. So it gets progressively easier to obtain product info. All these leaks that you see of components, product schematics etc. are the result of employees of manufacturing and shipping partners posting stuff on the Internet. This has got nothing to do with intentional leaking. It's also wouldn't make sense, because apples product cycle is very well-known and well established. That means that no one and certainly not Apple needs to leak little parts to let the people know that there will be a new iPhone in the fall. All these conspiracy theories do not make any sense at all.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
So if "leaked leaks" are the story of success, why don't others leak their leaks?! Are they stupid, ignorant or is something just being simplified here?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No way. That would be an utter and complete disaster for Apple. It wants to sell as many out as possible as fast as possible. There might be supply constraints but it will be a week or two maybe, not months.

But, but, but.... Apple intentionally constrains supplies for EVERY launch so they can get lines out the door to get media attention to make people want their products. That's how they have record sales, by not selling the products! That's what I always hear from the trolls!

(They'll say the SAME thing in April as well... won't admit that people actually WANT the watch)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I DO NOT want to wait in line -- so please have preorders!!!!

42mm Stainless Steel Case with Classic Black Buckle here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But, but, but.... Apple intentionally constrains supplies for EVERY launch so they can get lines out the door to get media attention to make people want their products. That's how they have record sales, by not selling the products! That's what I always hear from the trolls!

(They'll say the SAME thing in April as well... won't admit that people actually WANT the watch)

The argument doesn't make sense. I don't think Apple holds back supply. I think it's possible that either they launch "too soon" before they have enough and know that it ultimately doesn't matter - or that demand exceeds their expectations. The latter is a little less likely to me. But whatever.

However - in this case, it would be ridiculous to consider any conspiracy as this is a Gen 1 product. I don't see there being a supply issue. I could be completely wrong and if so, I will happily admit it after launch. But I suspect that (in general) those who want one will be able to get one. Where there might be constraints are on certain models/band options as it's possible segmenting those out could be more difficult to predict.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
It would appear that I am one of the few folks who could not care less about an Apple watch. I guess that leaves at least one extra watch for those who can't wait.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
It would appear that I am one of the few folks who could not care less about an Apple watch. I guess that leaves at least one extra watch for those who can't wait.

I could care less too. It just seems ginmicky and I can't see one being at all useful to me.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

You need to get out more often. In every thread on Apple Watch, seemingly at least five posts on each page are comments just like yours.

----------

I could care less too. It just seems ginmicky and I can't see one being at all useful to me.

Ya see what I mean?

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Go Apple watch

where are all the nay sayers and Debbi downers. I'm interested to see if they are the same people who said things about the original iPhone and how it would never work lol ..

I get such a kick out of those self proclaimed nostrodomus (SP) each and every time they get it so wrong yet continue to spew terrible predictions it equates to one of those people who continue to push the door that says pull over and over again

Last edited:

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
Amazing we haven't seen any leaks of it yet! They must already have manufactured a million of these.

Good point! By this point in the process we've usually seen enough manufacturing leaks to actually build one. Maybe the doubling-down on security actually worked this time.

Sean

splogue

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Cary, NC
I disagree on both accounts. The sport watch doesn't look that cheap to me and the SS one doesn't look that expensive or refined.

Actually, I like them both. The one on the right looks dressier. The one on the left looks like more fun.

I have mixed feelings on the edition models, though. I suspect they look a lot better in person. Watches that are intended to be more like jewelry often do.

Sean

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Look at the supply constraints that has happened with just about every single iPhone and iPad. Hell, even some models of the iPod.

The iPhone 6+ was shipping in 3 - 4 weeks within hours of pre-orders going live. It was also like that for a few months.

The cost of the SS model will determine a lot. If it is too expensive than the sports model will be hard to get. Without a doubt I can see slow deliveries for the first two months.

I'm an Apple old timer. I mean old. I'm very familiar with shipping delays. The Apple Watch is slightly different than the iPhone but probably closer to the original iPad. It's a 100% impulsive purchase because it's really something no one has now so its a product they want, not need. Impulsive can dissipate quickly which is why its vital Apple gets product in buyers hands when the buyer wants to buy. Otherwise, especially for something this expensive, there is no guarantee the buyer will wait and the money will be spent elsewhere.

Yes, as I said there will be supply constraints. That's very different than being totally "sold out" for months. On any given day if someone wants a particular model they'll be able to find it in some Apple store. Online might be a 1-2 week wait time, not one or two months. Not the constraint might last months, but delivery times will be days or weeks vs. "ships today," or "ships within 24 hours."

Estimates have initial launch supply at 5-6 million units. That's a lot of product for what is really an all-new product category. Also, Apple has said nothing about initial launch countries. We know the U.S. is "early 2015," but the rest of the major markets are only "2015." So we very well could be talking about an initial launch inventory of 5 million, not worldwide, but U.S. only.

Last edited:

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I'm an Apple old timer. I mean old. I'm very familiar with shipping delays. The Apple Watch is slightly different than the iPhone but probably closer to the original iPad. It's a 100% impulsive purchase because it's really something no one has now so its a product they want, not need. Impulsive can dissipate quickly which is why its vital Apple gets product in buyers hands when the buyer wants to buy. Otherwise, especially for something this expensive, there is no guarantee the buyer will wait and the money will be spent elsewhere.

Apple wants to sell as many as possible, what company doesn't :p But they can only produce so many at a time. Starting $349 even if it is sold out, there is a very good chance they will buy it next time it's in stock. I agree its a more impulse buy, but I don't think the want for it will dissipate as quickly as you are suggesting.

Yes, as I said there will be supply constraints. That's very different than being totally "sold out" for months. On any given day if someone wants a particular model they'll be able to find it in some Apple store. Online might be a 1-2 week wait time, not one or two months. Not the constraint might last months, but delivery times will be days or weeks vs. "ships today," or "ships within 24 hours."

Look at the PS4 or xbox one. After that rush of sale there was a slow trickle of new supply coming in. Just like with any new Apple product. Calling it a supply constraint is really not much different than selling out.

Look at the iPhone 6+. Online ship times were 6 - 7 weeks or more. You couldn't just walk into an Apple store and get one. For the first few weeks, they would get a few in every day and there was a line down the street.

Hell, I tried to purchase an iPhone 6 - 128GB in December. They didn't have them in stock at the Apple store. They also had no idea when they would give them in. I could call that sold out.

But ya, sold out vs supply constraints ... let me rephrase my original point. Exceptionally hard to obtain without camping out or a long wait :p

Estimates have initial launch supply at 5-6 million units. That's a lot of product for what is really an all-new product category. Also, Apple has said nothing about initial launch countries. We know the U.S. is "early 2015," but the rest of the major markets are only "2015." So we very well could be talking about an initial launch inventory of 5 million, not worldwide, but U.S. only.

I know this was a few days ago so it was speculation at that point and I would have even agreed with you about US only shipment. Supplies might not have been so bad. However as of today it sounds like international shipments. Which means hard to get.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 12.53.09 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.