Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
All the sarcastic folk with their narky (and utterly woeful attempts at being humorous in the process) replies just don't get it.

Samsung didn't even try to create their own look to their product, hardware or software. They have been obviously "inspired" by the iPhone 3GS (Galaxy S), iPhone 4 (Galaxy S2), and iOS.

It's not about passing resemblances, it's about borderline looking identical. I have said for a long time now that the Galaxy S looks like a "big 3GS", it's obvious where their design "idea" came from. And when I seen the photos of the Galaxy S2, I cringed.

Zero imagination on Samsung's part.

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
All the sarcastic folk with their narky (and utterly woeful attempts at being humorous in the process) replies just don't get it.

Samsung didn't even try to create their own look to their product, hardware or software. They have been obviously "inspired" by the iPhone 3GS (Galaxy S), iPhone 4 (Galaxy S2), and iOS.

It's not about passing resemblances, it's about borderline looking identical. I have said for a long time now that the Galaxy S looks like a "big 3GS", it's obvious where their design "idea" came from. And when I seen the photos of the Galaxy S2, I cringed.

LG Prada
LG Prada
LG Prada

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
In case this lawsuit actually reaches the trial stage and any of you end up on the jury ... here's a primer ...

You will NOT get to decide whether Samsung has infringed Apple's patents.

You will NOT get to decide what facts are in dispute - the parties and the judge will decide this.

You WILL however get to decide what is fact and what is not, from those things that are actually being disputed by the two parties.

then after you have "found" the facts ...

The judge will actually DECIDE the case by APPLYING the specific and particular LAWS that are relevant to the case.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

Exactly. Some people are just blind, hating on apple for the sake of it or are inndenial with weak arguments.

Any doubters check this post - https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12416180/

Done.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Apple is devoid of morals and innovation? Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea of Apple's philanthropy? Also, Apple INVENTED the whole concept of touch UI for iPhone and iPad - now the rest of the industry is scrambling to catch up by copying the leader. While imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, the imitators are simply copying for free what took Apple years to develop at a likely cost of several hundred million dollars. And Apple does not have a right to protect its investment?

Apple should just buy Samsung. That will get them a big foot in the consumer electronics sector.

So...I just picked your post out and it's not meant personal, but...

speak after me

follow my lips

Apple DID NOT INVENT touch interfaces. Apple DID NOT INVENT touch interfaces.Apple DID NOT INVENT touch interfaces.Apple DID NOT INVENT touch interfaces.Apple DID NOT INVENT touch interfaces.

If you want to know what I'm talking about go on and rewatch the iPhone introduction keynote over and over. Watch it til your ears bleed, especially the part where Steve Jobs references the iPhone as the first touch interface that gets rid of the stylus!

Touch interfaces have been here for ages and ages - and hey - they could also do cut & paste in the late 90s :D

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
When Apple sues it is good.
When Apple is sued it is bad.

iZombie fanboi logic make life simple for those who eat brains
without the benefit of having any. Stay tuned for more magic.

Hey, the new Camaro looks like a Charger...

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
If Apple cannot beat them....they sue them. Way to go Apple, you are devoid of morals and innovation.

When can we officially say that Apple is now the New Microsoft?

When OSX has 90%+ worldwide market share and Safari has 85%+ worldwide market share.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Lol you're either blind or anti apple. The galaxy tab looks like a knockoff, plain and simple. As laguna (not leguna like you wrongly typed) said, there are MANY other android phones that look different enough, like the HTC ones and the motorola ones.

You didn't really provide any significant 'design differences' and massively different in size?! Lol.

Size is different. Screen dimensions are different. Button layouts and materials are different (power button is on the side of the Gtab and it lacks a silence switch). 4 backlit capcitive buttons as opposed to one physical home button. The fact that it has Samsung branding on it.

But no, brand me anti apple because my perception of identical is different to yours and Laguna's.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Funny, apple sues Sammy and all we really discover is that apple has never invented anything and is just the first of the copycats.

Would rather have samsung any day, least it will last!

Colour me not surprised.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
LG Prada
LG Prada
LG Prada

Stop being so bloody childish.

The only resemblance the iPhone has to the LG Prada is that it's a rectangle and that uses a touch screen. If the Prada used an OS that was anything like iOS, and if the touch screen was even half as responsive (which as an owner of one, trust me, it wasn't) then it would have done something more than fade into obscurity.

The Galaxy S and S2 are blatant rip offs of the iPhone 3G/3GS and iPhone 4.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Does not apply in the U.S.
U.S does not recognize patents on icons.
Those would/could be covered by copyright law.

I know that, hence the reference to "EU". But good point. They would be trademarks here, although it could all be thrown into the pile in a lawsuit.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
lg_prada_iphone.jpg

165102-iphone_galaxy_comparison.jpg

:rolleyes:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Watch it til your ears bleed, especially the part where Steve Jobs references the iPhone as the first touch interface that gets rid of the stylus!

It was the first phone to offer a touch screen with the accuracy of a stylus using your finger.

Early touch screens were unresponsive, slow, and borderline unusable ... but were "cool" cause there was no buttons.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I already posted an image earlier in this thread. The back of a white Galaxy Tab and the back of a white iPhone 3GS. If you don't see them as strikingly similar, I don't know what else to tell you.

Now we're talking! I too see the similarities between both devices and software wise I think Apple arevright on this one.

TouchWiz bears more than a passing resemblance to iOS, all the way down to icon rearrangement and application uninstallation when in the application menu. Their latest version even has some WP7 cues with squared icons!
Samsung-Galaxy-S2.jpg

Poggy777

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Leicester England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Smart phones and slate style computers have evolved largely due to apples innovative and forward thinking designers which has now become the norm. All the other like samsung are and will continue to play catch up for a long time to come. Apple is a brand now that others will copy. It's pretty much the no1 brand in as far as design and appeal goes.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Size is different. Screen dimensions are different. Button layouts and materials are different (power button is on the side of the Gtab and it lacks a silence switch). 4 backlit capcitive buttons as opposed to one physical home button. The fact that it has Samsung branding on it.

But no, brand me anti apple because my perception of identical is different to yours and Laguna's.

It's not just us. There's more in the thread saying the same. As I said, my mum, who can be classed as general public said it looked pretty much the same.

Here's the major point, the fact this lawsuit is happening is down to they lawyers feel it's extremely similar enough that they have he grounds for a case!! Lol.

Now if samsung hadn't made it's touchwiz extremely identical, you may have more on your side of the debate, but the did't so you don't.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Last edited by a moderator:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Oh my, I never really paid enough attention to the competition to see what a rip off Samsung has become!

But, how many different shapes can you make a touchscreen tablet/phone?

dba7dba

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Near Apple
Stop being so bloody childish.

The only resemblance the iPhone has to the LG Prada is that it's a rectangle and that uses a touch screen. If the Prada used an OS that was anything like iOS, and if the touch screen was even half as responsive (which as an owner of one, trust me, it wasn't) then it would have done something more than fade into obscurity.

The Galaxy S and S2 are blatant rip offs of the iPhone 3G/3GS and iPhone 4.

Rectangle + touch screen when done by LG isn't innovative? It's innovative only when apple does it?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Rectangle + touch screen when done by LG isn't innovative? It's innovative only when apple does it?

Where did I use the word "innovative"?

When you stop putting words into conversations to give you something to mould your already weak reply around, I'll continue this discussion.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Does anyone know who or what company invented

The rubber band scrolling effect
Visual voicemail
Threaded text messaging

??????

I never saw any of those pre iPhone 1.

If not apple I want to thank the man/woman who did.

Also if any future tablet comes out with internal magnets to hold on the devices cover That would just be way to obvious of a copy. I have an iPad 2 and the cover is damn slick.

JmanInSF

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
Apple has to try to protect their IP or they risk losing it. What I wonder is why it took them so long to start lawsuits over this.

Exactly. For all those folks who think it's frivolous or stupid or etc, it's really very simple: you 'must' defend your intellectual property or you are more at risk to lose it. Not a lawyer, but have had to deal with these issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.