Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
DigiDesign is working with Apple's recently acquired Emagic subsidiary to deliver Logic Platinum support for DigiDesign hardware on Mac OS X.

The companies want to work quickly, stressed DigiDesign's general manager Dave Lebolt: "We will work together closely to ensure the release of Logic support on OS X as close to the release of ProTools 6.0 as possible."

Both firms are also working together to deliver new Emagic products to Pro Tools users. They are developing Pro Tools-compatible synthesizers, keyboards and assorted virtual instruments from Emagic's range. The products will also support OS X.

Native

Finally, soon after Pro Tools 6.0 is released, DigiDesign intends to release OS X Core Audio drivers that will enable Emagic support of DigiDesign's I/O hardware in native Emagic applications.

In related news, sources have confirmed Apple acquired Emagic (for $30 million) for the technology it owned Ð not in order to take a strategic position from which to put the likes of Steinberg and DigiDesign out of business.

It's not thought the company will introduce a stripped-down version of Logic for consumers at this stage.

Apple is believed to be working hard with many audio firms to resolve any outstanding problems between their solutions and Mac OS X. "Apple values all the developers who work on its platform," an insider said.

Macworld article

This is fantastic news!

We'll not only have protools under OS X very soon, digidesign hardware will work with coreaudio based audio applications and we'll have even more software synths available in protools.

All we need now is Max/MSP in OS X and ReFUSE could be ported to OS X so we can run reason with protools under OS X aswell.

I can just imagine the killer protools LE setup I'll have running under OS X next year with emagic, native instuments and Bitheadz synths all running natively in protools and some super quick powermac with that new IBM chip to make it all run smooth as hell.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
I am really excited about this, as Pro Tools is the last thing I have that wont run on OSX.

What I really would like is to be able to use my Pro Tools Digi 001 as my main Sound output. It would be like a really good sound card (well it already is a good sound card, but you know what I mean) Plus being able to use its inputs for regular computer mic stuff would be invaluable, and give me more use out of it than just Protools.

Do I have a hope of this happening?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
That is fantastic.... I did not know Apple bought eMagic just for the tech.... I thought we were gonna see Music Studio Pro
:)

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Prime
mmmmm Max|msp for osx. :D

That would be entirely too much fun... although I must admit I'm more of a Reaktor fan than a max/msp one. In about half the time I get 90% of the flexibility... plus its always fun to see what's new in the user library, hehe.

Just my opinion, they're both brilliant apps.

daceymathers

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
newyork
Macworld article

This is fantastic news!

We'll not only have protools under OS X very soon, digidesign hardware will work with coreaudio based audio applications and we'll have even more software synths available in protools.

All we need now is Max/MSP in OS X and ReFUSE could be ported to OS X so we can run reason with protools under OS X aswell.

I can just imagine the killer protools LE setup I'll have running under OS X next year with emagic, native instuments and Bitheadz synths all running natively in protools and some super quick powermac with that new IBM chip to make it all run smooth as hell.

Well that was really an awesome news.And today we running pro tools under OS X and digidesign works with coreaudio based audio application.Now various advanced versions of pro tools is available the latest one Pro tools 9 which is interface independent means it can work with or without interface.It has latest Mbox tools for audio devices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.