Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I'm less sold on the new Pros since I saw them in store. Only two ports on the non-touch strip model? Seriously? Why the **** does my Air have more ports than a "pro" laptop?

Attachments

• IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 60

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Professionals are (rightfully) complaining, but that won't stop the flashy Starbucks crowd from wanting the latest shiny toy.

I'm a professional, not complaining, not part of the "Starbucks crowd", looking forward to getting one.
[doublepost=1478613276][/doublepost]
Time will tell, but I don't think they'll sell in the long run.

Ha. You're joking, right?

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
Cook's Apple is one that would never over-stock anything that was not a sure bet. Meaning, Tim being Tim I doubt they'd ever put themselves in a position to either over stock or scramble to fill. That said, you can bet they've heard the hubbub and are course correcting.

Well made Japanese laptops becoming trendy is a real possibility.

alisalem

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Some people don't have a choice really. They have an old Mac that is dying for a replacement. Windows is not even an option for someone who has been using macOS for the majority of their professional career.

Reactions: -hh

true god

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2015
Sure...it just doesn't have the performance.

https://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6355

"I finally got my MBP to do a teeny bit of back and forth swapping as I pushed up close (15GB) to the 16GB memory limit. I have to open almost every last thing on my system. Here’s what I ran:

• VMwarei Fusion: Three running virtual machines (Windows 10, macOS Sierra, Debian Linux)
  • Adobe Photoshop CC: Four 1+gb 36 MP professional, multi-layer photos
  • Adobe InDesign CC: A 22 page photography-intensive project
  • Adobe Bridge CC: Browsing a folder with 163GB photos (307 images total)
  • DxO Optics Pro: (Pro-photography workflow software) Editing a folder of images
  • Xcode: Five production Objective-C projects, all cleaned and rebuilt
  • Microsoft PowerPoint: A slide deck presentation
  • Microsoft Word: Fifteen different chapters (separate .doc files) from my last book
  • Microsoft Excel: A single workbook
  • MachOView: Analyzing a daemon binary
  • Mozilla FireFox: Four different websites, each in a separate window
  • Safari: Eleven different websites, each in a separate window
  • Preview: Three PDF books, including one very graphic intensive book
  • Hopper Disassembler: Performing an analysis on a binary
  • WireShark: Performing a live network capture as I do all of this
  • IDA Pro 64-bit: Analyzing a 64-bit intel binary
  • Apple Mail: Viewing four mailboxes
  • Tweetbot: Reading all the flames and trolls in my mentions
  • iBooks: Currently viewing an ebook I paid for
  • Terminal: A few sessions idling
  • iTunes
  • Little Flocker
  • Little Snitch
  • OverSight
  • Finder
  • Calendar
  • Contacts
  • Photos
  • Veracrypt
  • Activity Monitor
  • Path Finder
  • Console
  • Probably a lot I’ve missed"
Yep, missed the calculator.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
It just seems so odd to me that Apple are causing problems for their own customers and contradicting their own remarks.

Firstly, if you're going to tell us that the 3.5mm jack is obsolete, old technology, why then include it on the MacBook Pro?

Integrating Lightning there would add more unit cost and Apple likes it's profits more than our utility. Besides they know they can do whatever they want and a good segment of us will passionately argue why what they are doing is the one and only, very best way forward to counteract those that question such decisions.

Intel has decided that USB3 will be the digital connector replacement for 3.5mm. All Intel chipsets to come will support this feature. Why take on the added unit cost when Intel has already built that functionality in for Apple? In short, Lightning is an orphan digital audio connector to all but the iDeviceverse. 3.5mm will continue to rule as it is everywhere. USB3 will be THE digital alternative that has any chance of similar ubiquity (because Wintels still own the vast majority of the market place and they won't ever come with Apple proprietary Lightning connectors).

Secondly, if you're going to release Lightning headphones, why not then have at least one lightning port on the MacBook Pro?

See above.

Considering every one of the billion iPhones that have been sold have a USB-A cable, why not just add a Lightning to USB-C cable in the MacBook Pro's box?

Much more profitable to sell that as an adapter. Apple's will be very profitable but anyone else's will have to pay Apple a license for the Lightning end. Money, money, money.

Or, even better, why didn't they just design the iPhone 7 to use USB-C?

Proprietary Lightning and various dongles with a Lightning end (and all of the accessories that have to license Lightning to connect) are much more profitable than embracing USB3c on the phone. Apple owns Lightning. USB3 is a non-proprietary standard.

Then you could charge the MacBook Pro from the iPhone charger and vice versa.

You're viewing this through the lens of consumer utility. Apple seems to be evolving into Sony, where nickel & diming & proprietary "standards" helped Sony make lots of extra profit for a while... until people finally got fed up with such tactics.

All seemingly illogical moves by Apple tend to look very different through the lens of the accounting department. Personally, I think Apple used to do a much better job of (at least) seeming to put customer utility above profit maximization. Now every move seems to be testing how much they can get away with. Much like it worked for Sony for a while, this will work for Apple for a while. Eventually, even the loyal should tire of decisions seeming to exploit them rather than reflect their future- and current- needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: HVDynamo

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
With my 3.5mm jack comment, I guess I was being flippant. I know why they included it - because it's absolutely everywhere. On every piece of pro audio equipment, every professional camera, broadcast monitors, VTR machines, in every TV studio, recording studio, radio studio, every domestic TV/radio, every walkie-talkie, it's in cars, aeroplanes, trains, it's on games consoles... it's everywhere!

Any computer that is worth anything needs the 3.5mm jack.

But by removing it from the phone, all the people that use headphones in all the above situations then need to swap to different headphones or fiddle about for the adaptor (assuming they haven't lost it).

I guess my point was that including it on the MBP is Apple admitting that the analogue jack is far from obsolete.
what I don't understand is what is so hard about connecting the adapter they gave us to your headphones - and - why would you lose it once its connected? I have an expensive set of headphones and connected it - it will stay connected and won't get lost. I flip between those, my wireless beats (that have an all week battery life) and the pair apple provide. I can't image that many people will need more than one or two adapters.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
This working pro cancelled his order, but the Starbucks crowd obviously loves it and will be sporting it soon to write their Yelp reviews while sipping on their latte.

Reactions: SirRahikkala

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
You're absolutely right - USB-C is easily the way forward.

It just seems so odd to me that Apple are causing problems for their own customers and contradicting their own remarks.

Firstly, if you're going to tell us that the 3.5mm jack is obsolete, old technology, why then include it on the MacBook Pro?

Secondly, if you're going to release Lightning headphones, why not then have at least one lightning port on the MacBook Pro?

Considering every one of the billion iPhones that have been sold have a USB-A cable, why not just add a Lightning to USB-C cable in the MacBook Pro's box? Or, even better, why didn't they just design the iPhone 7 to use USB-C? Then you could charge the MacBook Pro from the iPhone charger and vice versa.

Excellent response!

I think the MBP is simply the first one out of the gate in the USB-C ecosystem. Hardware changes take a very long time, and it's unlikely that all the changes can happen at once. It would be quite a disruption if the entire product line was suddenly USB-C one day. I doubt any future release will contain a USB-A port.

Why no lightning port? That's odd, of course. Even the new keyboards charge with Lightning. I suspect Apple is on a deprecation path with Lightning, and they're saving it's termination for the 10th anniversary phone. That would, of course, suck in a major way since they just forced the headphone industry to go to Lightning, but in the end, Apple will be pushing Wireless Audio pretty hard.

They should have included a USBC-Lightning in the box. But, I believe Apple's vision is to not plug the iPhone into computers at all anymore. iCloud backup, etc.. But, people like me require a computer to do the encrypted backup, so I don't have to log into 20 apps with each new iPhone. (Apple could solve this with a single-signon mechanism somehow, but right now, all Apps and websites require you to make their own form of unique user).

People are going crazy about the dongles, but in almost every case, you just have to use an appropriate cable. An appropriate, much faster, chainable cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.