Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A couple days after a new iOS bug was discovered, allowing a select string of characters sent in an iMessage or text to reset iPhones and crash the Messages app, Apple has created a new support document to address the problem. The Cupertino company acknowledges the problem and says that it's working on a fix, offering temporary solutions in the mean time.

messagescrashingbug.jpg
Apple is aware of an iMessage issue caused by a specific series of unicode characters and we will make a fix available in a software update. Until the update is available, you can use these steps to re-open the Messages app.

1. Ask Siri to "read unread messages."

2. Use Siri to reply to the malicious message. After you reply, you'll be able to open Messages again

3. In Messages, swipe left to delete the entire thread. Or tap and hold the malicious message, tap More, and delete the message from the thread.
In addition to Apple's suggestions, there are other possible fixes that have worked for MacRumors in other scenarios. For instance, if Messages was opened in conversation list view you can fix the issue by having someone send you a message or sending yourself a message via Siri or through the Share sheet in any app.

Article Link: Apple Offers Temporary Fix for iOS Text Bug, Says Update's Coming Soon

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
The Cupertino company*acknowledges the problem and says that it's working on a fix, offering temporary solutions in the mean time.

The bad news though, the fix may not come until the next major iOS 8 update, which is the one currently in beta. This means no fix until AFTER WWDC keynote. And even then, Apple still has to seed a modified beta to devs and public beta users first to see if it fixes.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've found cutting a potato in half, rubbing one half all over my phone, and then burying the rest in my front lawn at night to be a fairly reliable fix.

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
Message app keeps crashing when trying to open the app on iPad. And iPhone I can get into the app but when I try to scroll down the messages. It crashes. It has nothing to do with funny message thing. Anyone has the same issue?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Could somebody copy and paste the string of characters for this? Purely for science/entertainment...

Edit: Power لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ 冗

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The bad news though, the fix may not come until the next major iOS 8 update, which is the one currently in beta. This means no fix until AFTER WWDC keynote. And even then, Apple still has to seed a modified beta to devs and public beta users first to see if it fixes.

Not necessarily. Apple in the past has dealt with emergency bug fixes (like this) mid beta cycle before. And don’t forget, there might still be one more big release before iOS 9.

They don't even need to seed anything externally. The bug fix is very specific they can do all tests internally since its very reliable to replicate. Again, they have done specific target fixes before.

My guess is that we will see a fix in a few days. It will be limited to this issue.

ETA and the fix described here does jack if your phone spontaneously reboots before you see the message - which happened to me twice today.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Thank goodness for Siri.

So, we'll see a slur of English mixes in with deliberate different language characters just "because it can crash my phone" even though they may not speak the language...

anyone NOT upgraded yet ? :D

dtmpowerm5

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
So annoying

I had to literally block two coworkers because they just kept sending this. It actually works out because now I will have to work less because when they call me after hours for work I wont get their call and have this great excuse!

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
"2. Use Siri to reply to the malicious message. "

I can think of an appropriate reply to this message, and the first word starts with "F" and the second starts with "Y."

And I hope the recipient gets the message.

stulowe2009

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
But as mentioned before it can do more than just an SMS or imessage crash.

Save the shorter version of the Unicode string as a contact card and send it over WhatsApp and it will kill WhatsApp and need you to uninstall the app and lose all conversations. Send the contact card over SMS and it screws up contacts and crashes the app.

Set the short version as a WiFi hotspot name and it causes all iOS devices nearby searching for WiFi to crash the settings app.

This does not solve the problem and is a worry that it could somehow be sent at a more system level app and cause more serious problems.

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
Some people have too much time on their hands. Sure this is a security concern, but who woulda thought to send a text with this specific nomenclature using 3 completely different languages

macarter

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Can't believe none have discover this yet

This is the only text string that will crash iMessage " رً ॣ ॣ " the rest of the text is useless.

00sjsl

Contributor
Jul 23, 2011
Hampshire, UK
Some people have too much time on their hands. Sure this is a security concern, but who woulda thought to send a text with this specific nomenclature using 3 completely different languages

Some one familiar with unicode rendering and product testing, maybe. It seems like something that could be hand crafted, rather that found by chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.