Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
8.1 = Apple Pay + Yosemite

8.2 = Apple Watch

8.3 = finally fixing bugs.

Honestly, I disagree for 8.2/8.3
I think that you're right on the money for 8.1

I think that 8.2 will be released before the end of 2014. Probably to polish iOS 8 on devices such as the 4s and the 6+. Also to possibly make improvements for the new iPads.

I think that iOS 8.3 will be released in March with the Apple Watch. I don't see Apple releasing a major update in May/June since they'll be focusing on iOS 9.

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Switch back to Iphone 6+ from HTC One

- feel iOS lack personality. but clean

- bad cellular & wifi connection. Keep switching "airplane mode" to get signal

- Lack of customization ( like switch for cellular data connection in quick menu )

- iPhone 6+ is bigger than Galaxy Note

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
With all of the beta testing they presumably do on these devices, I still don't understand how they could've botched 8.0.1 so badly. How is it possible that you miss bugs that are that significant? I don't want to say that it's shaken my confidence in Apple because I didn't personally experience the issues, but it just seems like quality control in software has taken a dip in the past year or two. It seems like they're rushing things out.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm all here for this as long as 8.1 comes soon and that knocks out some of the major iOS 8 bugs.

iOS 8 really made me miss the stability of 7.1.

You know, I'd really be interested to hear about some of these nasty bugs people have been using.

I've been on iOS for over two months, and to tell the truth on most days I didn't even remember I was running it.

I think that a lot of people confuse bugginess caused by third party apps that haven't been updated, or for which the updates themselves cause issues with iOS bugginess.

Can any of you folks who are experiencing all this incessant and horrible bugginess please enlighten the rest of us about what the issues are? Serious question.

----------

There will always be reasons to jailbreak. :)

Depends on your point of view and needs. I no longer needed jailbreaking once another carrier in the US besides AT&T started selling the iPhone...

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
One of those fixes better be to fix the Bluetooth in 8.0.2.

I've got BT in my car and as as add-on devices, and sometimes iOS 8.0.2 sees the device and doesn't pair. Sometimes it sees a device it paired with before and doesn't connect.

Never seen an :apple: product this buggy at release.

+1, I'm finding it's rock steady connecting to my UE boom speaker, and mostly to my headset, but BTLE is a disaster, I have to repair my Polar H7 every time I want to use it, and only once that's paired will the fitbit one connect (even then it's incredibly slow).

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I used to wait impatiently for jailbreaks but these days I just don't see the point.

Each new version of iOS picks up a feature or two from the jailbreak community (e.g. iMessage quick responses in iOS 8); but I suspect I'll always have a desire to jailbreak. Currently my favorite tweak is FlipControlCenter - it let's me customize the Control Center toggles. So, for example, turning my T-Mobile personal hotspot on and off is one quick action. Additionally, it let's you add more than five, if you wish - they're scrollable.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
animations r way too slow by default, drives me insane

app icons r way too big by default

no quick reply for whatsapp & viper

wiping iMessage attachements still not easy enough

ipad folder layout sucks by default

no swipe selection

missing gestures

adblocker

cant change the Control center toggles

What about free wifi hotspot? That seems like the biggest advantage.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Can't wait for Apple Pay, but I'd really like to see iCloud Photos ironed out and it to come out of beta soon. That's certainly one of my favorite new additions to iOS 8 so far, but it's still a bit buggy.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
So there's still a few minor bugs in iOS 8.0.2. But mostly, I find issues with developer's who are slow to update their apps to run seemlesly on the new system. C'mon devs! ;)

Some of us are waiting for Apple to fix its bugs so we can fix our software.

Monique1

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
The most likely explanation for this change in pattern involves major product launches over the coming months

Uh... nice lipstick job MR. Apple is simply crapping their knickers and trying to "unfix" the previous updates.

Where is Forstall when you need to kick someone?

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Seeing that the autoupdate of apps has already messed with my ability to use Pages (have to install ios8 to use icloud drive to use pages with all of my files -:|)

I would hope that 8.1 or 8.2 improves speed and stability on the 4S and ipad 2. No desire to spend a months rent on a new phone.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
Reachability helps some with one handed use, but since it doesn’t stick it actually makes some things much more complicated to use. Reading through my mail going back and forth between mailboxes/folders etc. I'm constantly double tapping.

I would have preferred an option that would have allowed me to double or triple tap and shift between just condensing the screen to bottom right or left at 1136x640 (depending on which hand hand you prefer) and it to stick in that mode until you double or triple tap out of it.

Hoping iOS 8.x will add that feature!

There is already a solution to this, that has been around for a while now, and it's swiping right from the left edge of the screen.

thewolfro

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Probably they should test only one and do it right instead of testing 3 and doing the crap job they did.

It is really stupid they even pretend to be testing all this. What a poor job they do.. maybe they should change their testing team.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
There is already a solution to this, that has been around for a while now, and it's swiping right from the left edge of the screen.

That was just one example. Swiping right from the left is handy for going back in apps like Mail/Settings/Safari but doesn't help in selecting accounts/folders/inboxes that are at the top of the screen or other options that are on the top of the screen in other apps.

Still would like to see a 640x1136 mode that would work for all apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.