Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
My setup involves a MBP connected to a CalDigit TS4 dock via a 6ft. CableMatters Thunderbolt 4 cable (which is supposed to be Intel-certified). This works perfectly fine, with one exception... it's prone to momentary disconnections when the computer is moved, which improperly ejects all attached drives. It's not an issue of the plug physically being pulled out of the port... by external appearances, it's still firmly in place, but I can replicate the issue by nudging or wiggling it a little.

I know the obvious answer there is "well, don't move the computer", but I typically work while sitting on a sofa with the dock and other stuff on a table next to it, and the computer on a lap desk, so it's unavoidable for it to be moved. Sometimes it withstands a surprising amount of movement without disconnecting, while other times just a small shift in position unceremoniously ejects everything.

I tried another identical cable (I bought an extra to keep on hand as a spare), and it behaves the same way.

I'm thinking about trying the official Apple cable, but before I order such an expensive cable, I was hoping to hear some feedback as to whether or not it might help my situation. Or is being prone to disconnection when moved just a fact of life that will occur with any TB cable?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I use an Apple TB4 cable w/ CalDigit TS3+ dock. While I don't sit on a sofa while connected to the dock, I do often lift my laptop up off the desk to unplug the dock and have never experienced disconnects of the kind you describe. Have you tried a different TB port? Two TB4 cables exhibiting the same behavior tends to point to the port, not the cables.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
The design spec of the USB-C plug/socket has about 10 pages (pages 40+) of details of the steel clips that retain the plug in the socket.

I've seen the clips on the sockets of a 2019 iMac, and they are a marvel of miniaturisation. With an Apple TB 3/4 cable you can feel them make contact and securely retain the cable.
Whether Caldigit's design engineering is up to the same spec remains to be seen.
Maybe you can see damage to the steel clips and effect a repair, or remove debris.

Plugging in a cable without taking care not to damage the structures may be the cause of the failure.

Reactions: _timo_redux_

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I use an Apple TB4 cable w/ CalDigit TS3+ dock. While I don't sit on a sofa while connected to the dock, I do often lift my laptop up off the desk to unplug the dock and have never experienced disconnects of the kind you describe. Have you tried a different TB port? Two TB4 cables exhibiting the same behavior tends to point to the port, not the cables.
I have not tried a different port (because the port on the right side is the most suitable for this arrangement), but I did try a different computer :) . Happened with my M1 Max, and now happens with the M3 Max.

After I posted, I started digging more into the Amazon reviews for this cable... though it generally has very high ratings, I did see several instances of reviews that describe pretty much the same symptoms is I'm describing (including one that says the problem did not recur once they switched to an Apple cable).

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
I have not tried a different port (because the port on the right side is the most suitable for this arrangement), but I did try a different computer :) . Happened with my M1 Max, and now happens with the M3 Max.

After I posted, I started digging more into the Amazon reviews for this cable... though it generally has very high ratings, I did see several instances of reviews that describe pretty much the same symptoms is I'm describing (including one that says the problem did not recur once they switched to an Apple cable).
I'm not a fan of purchasing and returning products just of the sake of demoing but I don't see the issue here. You need the cable but aren't sure it'll work, which is completely different in my opinion. Purchase the cable, see if it works and if it doesn't return it. I don't think you're going to find anybody that can tell you that it will or won't work definitively in your use case. I've got quite a few thunderbolt cables in use myself, but all of mine are stationary on a rack or desk so I can't be of any help.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I've seen the clips on the sockets of a 2019 iMac, and they are a marvel of miniaturisation. With an Apple TB 3/4 cable you can feel them make contact and securely retain the cable.
Whether Caldigit's design engineering is up to the same spec remains to be seen.
Maybe you can see damage to the steel clips and effect a repair, or remove debris.
Though I don't have a frame of reference (since this is the only TB3/TB4 cable I've used), I can say that it does seem to be held in place pretty well... it won't just slip out with just the slightest tug, it requires a bit of force.

Reactions: splifingate

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I'm not a fan of purchasing and returning products just of the sake of demoing but I don't see the issue here. You need the cable but aren't sure it'll work, which is completely different in my opinion. Purchase the cable, see if it works and if it doesn't return it. I don't think you're going to find anybody that can tell you that it will or won't work definitively in your use case. I've got quite a few thunderbolt cables in use myself, but all of mine are stationary on a rack or desk so I can't be of any help.
Yeah, I think I'll give it a shot.

Reactions: splifingate

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I second this. Buy the Apple cable and give it a try. If it doesn't behave better, return it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You may have already tried this, but...
... can you swap the existing cable end-for-end, and see if that makes a difference?

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
You may have already tried this, but...
... can you swap the existing cable end-for-end, and see if that makes a difference?
Yes, I indeed have tried that, as well as just flipping the plug the other way. Sometimes the latter does seem to help the situation (possibly due to a particular orientation producing a slight bit of standing tension on the plug from the "twist"), but doesn't fully eliminate the problem.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Apple Thunderbolt cable arrived today... I plugged it in, and did all sorts of acrobatics trying to get it to disconnect, but all the drives remained mounted. Hideously expensive cable, but if it indeed has solved this problem for me, it's worth it.

Reactions: MircoT and MRxROBOT

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Day two, still not a single disconnect. My little boy just came in to say goodnight to me, and inadvertently gave the cable a bit of a tug that, ordinarily, would have almost certainly caused a disconnect, but did not. Never thought I'd be so excited and happy about a $130 cable!

Reactions: xraydoc

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Day two, still not a single disconnect. My little boy just came in to say goodnight to me, and inadvertently gave the cable a bit of a tug that, ordinarily, would have almost certainly caused a disconnect, but did not. Never thought I'd be so excited and happy about a $130 cable!
Glad this worked out for you. I've had similar issues with USB drives, so I understand the frustration. Looks like Apple really does make the best thunderbolt cables and somewhat justifies the extreme price penalty.

Reactions: macphoto861

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote: @MRxROBOT
"Looks like Apple really does make the best thunderbolt cables"

Although the precision of the sheath at the end of a USB-C plug is critical, its the socket that has the retaining mechanism which actually grips the cable plug.
If the cable is cheap and the sheath is not to size, it will not be properly retained.
If the socket is cheap with inadequately precise retaining springs, then only the most precision cable has a chance of being held in.
This tango takes two ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.