Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stof

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2003
I think the look of the Mail window in de screenshots is horrific! A step back in GUI design (and that is a step towards Windows...).

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Stof said:
I think the look of the Mail window in de screenshots is horrific! A step back in GUI design (and that is a step towards Windows...).
That's pretty much what I thought too. Well, maybe not horrific, but it does look like Windows. Same thing involving the menubar with that blue XP look. I suppose it doesn't really matter all that much though, but I don't like that it seems like everything new in Tiger resembles Windows...

dahacouk

macrumors member
May 24, 2004
Planet Earth
No more drawers!

That was fast! Apple must be reading our Apple Mac OS X Wish List.

If I may also draw your attention to other requests:

Hide Folders
When running IMAP mail system folders like .mailboxlist should be hidden and not shown in the Mailboxes draw listing.

Use This Mailbox For
Should enable user defined groupings.

HTML Status Bar
When viewing HTML emails there should be an HTML status bar so that when you mouse over a link you can see where it is going to take you before you click on it.

RSS
Implement subscription based RSS in Mail to compliment the browser based viewing in Safari

Also, where has the folder bookmark bar gone that you can see in an earlier version of Mail 2?

Cheers Daniel

spinko

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
N hemisphere
Finally...

... they have done away with the "drawer" which in IMHO was just an awkward appendice. I quite like the new theme, it's clean and bright. There is still a Aqua scrollbar on the right side though. I find it too narrow and "slippery" due to its wet look. Hope they also include a window resize zone on the edges of the windows.

Oh, and just one more wish for the mail.app: please allow for draging e-mails out of the list and onto the Desktop (like Entourage does)...
positive move !

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
AdamZ said:
While I got your attention. With so many of us macheads feeling left out of a cool product that even "WINDOWS" users can enjoy, sorry our 2.5 year old computer has an Airport b, is it so wrong for us diehards to be able to experience a totally cool product like Airport Express!? Just don't leave some of us folks who rode this revoluition with you behind! My original iPod still works, this 1st gen flat/panel 700 imac still runs great, we've all kept up with OS X for you, come on Apple, we have chosen you; you are OUR solutions and our future plans, figure a way to through us a bone on this one. Airport Express is too cool!!

sorry 'bout that

You are mistaken. .b and .g products work together flawlessly. I have a .b Airport, a .b iBook, a .g iMac G5 and a .g Airport Express. Go get an AE, it is awesome; stream iTunes to stereo and wireless printing.

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
GFLPraxis said:
Excuse me, uh, what? Airport Express works fine with 802.11b (the old Airport), it just runs at B speeds instead of G. What's with your little rant about a nonexistant problem?

The problem is that they no longer sell the Airport Cards, which can be found on ebay for more money than an Extreme. I love my Mac. I would never buy anything else, but I am feeling left out of some of the fun. Perhaps that new upcomming standard 802.11n will solve some of our woes. Will Apple make the next version of Airport compatible with both older Airport and Extreme computers? Or will we just have to wait to get a "new" computer to enjoy Wireless?? I know this is probably best on a different post, but this really upsets me. My friend got an Express and a $30 b card and uses it with his Windows network in his home flawlessly. He teases me. It just seems like knowone else is as concerned. Are all of your computers less than 2.5 yrs old. It's crazy for us to be shut out of a period of time that early adopters helped create.

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
No way !!!! Ugggg ly !

Natron said:
Ok...I'm sorry...but the first thing that came to mind when seeing the image was "Windows".

You're absolutely right.

I thought "Windows" too. :(

The sharp corners SUCK -- it is the radiused
corners and rounded edges that lend touchability to the iPod and all iMacs.

It is one of the VERY few things that RealPlayer has going for it.

The color looks wahed out and overly void rather than minimalist.

"Windows, Windows, Widows, Windows..."

Get off it guys --- do it right.

---gooddog

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
Looks like another ...

beatle888 said:
good point. it isnt going to be the interface that gets me to buy tiger.

of the Beauty with a wart on her nose.

If this ships, I will have to find a skin/theme third party to hide it --- Great !!!

---gooddog :eek:

gooddog

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2002
Yes, it is.

mikeyrogers said:
Exactly. I saw Longhorn IMMEDIATELY when I looked at that huge title bar area. But is that really a BAD thing? :rolleyes:

Yes, affirmative, Si, Oui, Ja, correct : it is a bad thing.

---gooddog

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Please please please, someone confirm that it is just a desig attempt and in no way final...

Apple designers can come up with something better, this doesn't appeal to me in any way, and just screams longhorn when you look at it... :confused:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
It's not a new theme, it's simply an extended aqua "fusion" title bar (like seen in Panther Aqua).

I hate it. It's better than a brushed metal mail but not much. And what the hell has happened to the lovely side panel? :eek:

When Panther came along, Apple updated its interface guidelines to accommodate the new brushed metal Finder: "Brushed metal used when immitating a real life object, blah blah blah and also when there is a sidebar used". The new Mail app disobeys this by having a sidebar next to the main window content in an aqua style and it indeed looks far more like Windows *HORRID* :mad:

I can just about cope with the interface inconsistencies with Panther but Tiger appears to be making a right mess of it. Just like the System Prefs appear to have a deeper aqua title bar even though they have the flat brushed metal style buttons (as opposed to the 3D back and forward ones seen in Aqua apps like Preview or the load/save dialogues).

EDIT: In fact, Tiger is starting to look a huge mess, but I guess yet more elemnts will change. The new look stuff looks very flat like Windows but yet they still have the nice (but now out-of-place in Tiger) scroll bars that are more 3D in nature.

And you'd better be able to put the mailboxes "sidebar" on the right hand side. :mad: :eek:

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
johnnyjibbs said:
And you'd better be able to put the mailboxes "sidebar" on the right hand side. :mad: :eek:

Hehe, I was just gonna post this when I read your post. What's up with changing things like that. Where's the GUI guidelines on that one? I can't believe they just put it on the left hand side. WHAT FOR?

And I agree it is definitely not the prettiest design ever. But it is not final, so there's hope. Hopefully some ADC members write Apple about how bad this looks.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
As others have said, it looks Windows. It's just a fade from one color to another which MS have been doing for years.

I notice that this Platinum theme has already crept into Panther, and have commented previously I thought it looked like the Windows XP "Silver" theme. (If you've got Panther, open say Preferences and notice the window bar. It's Platinum)

One thing I liked about OS X was first Aqua and then Brushed Metal. I like them coz they're textures and that adds a lot of class to the GUI.

Simple colors and color fades cheapen the GUI - eg Windows.

Come on Apple, if you're going to do Platinum, make it look like the real thing.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
My first reaction...

When I saw this, I thought...YES! This is what Apple should have done all along. I suspect that Brushed Metal was just a temporary thing, and that both the original Aqua and Brushed Metal will be replaced by this new appearance. It'll be coded in such a way that calls to Brushed Metal/Aqua interface gadgets will simply be redirected to Platinum gadgets so that existing applications, including Apple's own, don't break.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
johnnyjibbs said:
I can just about cope with the interface inconsistencies with Panther but Tiger appears to be making a right mess of it....
Some enterprising 3rd party will have a hack you can use to skin the OS, so if you hate it that much it should be fixable. I do agree with the chopping and changing theory though, Aqua used to be so standardised...

At the end of the day, it's the under-the-bonnet improvements in Tiger which should save it. Here's hoping.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
When I saw this, I thought...YES! This is what Apple should have done all along. I suspect that Brushed Metal was just a temporary thing, and that both the original Aqua and Brushed Metal will be replaced by this new appearance. It'll be coded in such a way that calls to Brushed Metal/Aqua interface gadgets will simply be redirected to Platinum gadgets so that existing applications, including Apple's own, don't break.
Thing is, it won't replace Brushed Metal. It will be in addition to. We've now got 3 different GUIs in there, although I suspect that this is what the new Aqua is becoming. BTW, when I saw this, I thought...NO! And I still think NO!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
johnnyjibbs said:
Thing is, it won't replace Brushed Metal. It will be in addition to. We've now got 3 different GUIs in there, although I suspect that this is what the new Aqua is becoming. BTW, when I saw this, I thought...NO! And I still think NO!
The only problem with that is that Brushed Metal and this new appearance look too similar - one being a lighter version of the other one. I don't think Brushed Metal can survive very long if this appearance gets widely used.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I think it's plain wrong to use 3 interface types in the first place. Either replace brushed metal or aqua with it. Secondly, what's up with the hideous blue circles around the numbers next to the mailbox? This is so windows style. Arrrgh, me not likey, me not likey at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.