Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

budgynana

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
So now that Apple will let current users buy additional seats (well, soon they will), can everyone shut up whining so much now? Use the system that works for you.

FCP7, as it currently stands, was developed over 10+ years. FCPX has just come out. Development time makes a big difference.

just had an email from a student asking us about our mac setup here at uni and basically he's looking to replicate our software setup so that he can continue to work on his projects at home. we're a long way of, if ever, from "upgrading" to fcpx and unfortunately he can cannot officially buy a copy of final cut studio anymore. he can of course look for other retailers other than buying from apple directly... but essentially that would mean that he's consciously buying something that has had its support cut by the manufacturer from a vendor that isn't positioned to support it. bit of a dilemma eh?!

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
but essentially that would mean that he's consciously buying something that has had its support cut by the manufacturer from a vendor that isn't positioned to support it. bit of a dilemma eh?![/QUOTE said:
But how often over the past 3 years have we gotten support from Apple anyway? We get all our support for FCS3 here online. As long as they don't drop Discussions on Apple.com, I don't see this as a dilemma, just business as usual. Cheers!

budgynana

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
But how often over the past 3 years have we gotten support from Apple anyway? We get all our support for FCS3 here online. As long as they don't drop Discussions on Apple.com, I don't see this as a dilemma, just business as usual. Cheers!

true, we've rarely ever had to do anything with apple for support... we, as a technical team, are as self sufficient as can possibly be and have only used google for any support and troubleshooting. but can you really recommend, hand on heart, that a student proceeds down that path?

put yourself in the guy's shoes for a moment, very technically incompetent, doesn't know how to image or install software and it's a miracle he's even managed to film something, and only cares about creating the "content" to get through his degree. he just wants to be able to continue editing at home in the same way that he does at uni. how can he proceed?

if he could get the same exact hardware model and software versions we have at uni we could set him on his way, although strictly speaking we have no obligation to do so. but very simply, he can't so we can't - don't get me wrong, i'd like nothing more than to make things as simple as possible so they don't cause us contant headaches.

we don't teach them the intricacies of how the software and hardware work, it's a creative course rather than technical. we, technicians, worry about all of that for our students but having said that we can only do so for our own facilities. there are too many permutations outside for us to extend that degree of support to the student(s) who choose to go it alone.

edit: just want to add we know he doesn't have to use the exact same hardware, but it'd help to minimize the differences if trouble shooting was ever needed. anything easier has to be a bonus for all involved.

Last edited:

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
true, we've rarely ever had to do anything with apple for support... we, as a technical team, are as self sufficient as can possibly be and have only used google for any support and troubleshooting. but can you really recommend, hand on heart, that a student proceeds down that path?

Well, I get what ur saying, but I've taught a lot of kids here how to edit, and not a single one ever had a problem with software: FCE, FCS, or PPro that could not be fixed from Google or a quick email. I just think it's a non-issue. Cheers!

Ps. Now problems with storytelling, that's a different story!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.