Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjwal

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
Is Apple Pay compatible with the hardware that some stores and gas stations have to wave cards (or other phones I assume) over the terminal to pay? Or does it require special Apple hardware?

I hope it's the former, because of most of the stores around me already have those machines.

I'm sure you have an experience going into your favorite 7/11 and seeing that they suddenly have a new machine that takes your card. These are supplied by the major payment gateways/resellers for free to these merchants as they get a small slice of the transaction. I guarantee that your favorite Subway will have the necessary NFC device to take Apple Pay by the summer of next year.

This is exactly why this was so ripe for Apple to do "right" and have caught the credit card leaders with their pants down. Debit cards from banks are forced to integrate with antiquated plastic CC #'s in order to provide their customers easy methods of payment directly from their accounts.

Eventually, they will work directly with Apple and there is no concept of a number. It's just you and you can securely verify that you are the owner of the bank account. I doubt Apple has plans to ever get into the actual credit market itself, but they are certainly forcing them to adopt to the new world.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
In the UK the limiting factor of NFC is a £20 maximum bill/total, for obvious reasons.

Would Apple Pay overcome that, or am I still limited to £20 payments? That is, if it reaches the UK.

Depends if they can use touch ID as authorisation, then I can't see a problem with exceeding the £20 limit.

Our Banks might want to do their own thing though.

pjwal

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
$40 Billion?
Smart move from Apple. I wonder if Google Wallet is doing the same?

The inherent problem with Google Wallet, is that it is purely a software solution. This is Apple's new DNA, combining devices and software, working with all industry players and innovating and leading.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Are you currently paying fees to use your debit/cc card?

Didn't think so.

It's the merchant paying the fees for the convienience of accepting debit/cc cards.

Ever heard of Square? That's just one example.

There is a 1-3% charge on VISA/MC in my country, the price of using it it send directly to the costumer. Our national debit card has a flat rate of 8 cent. There is currently a APP all that allows money transfers between people instantly and you can pay with it some stores (currently 100% transaction free).

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Just think of how many phones will need repairing / replacing as well as people swing them out to swipe them whilst trying to gather their shopping and drop them.

I thought the same thing when Tim announced that McDonald's is implementing it in its drive-thrus!!

pjwal

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
So when you use the Watch to pay via Apple-Pay you can pay without the user's finger print?

We don't know yet, but I'm sure they are smart enough to not allow your watch to be stolen and used for payments. In fact, they emphasized the required tether of the iPhone (which will eventually change, i'm sure).

Imagine simple software solutions. A "player" enables his watch to buy all drinks for his friends at the club. Someone more security conscious, requires each transaction to require specific input for the day even. It's exactly what payments has needed. Imagine that every transaction shows up on your watch and you have to give a specific signature, eliminating all possibility of fraud because you have pre-determined the input required for a successful transaction?

This is stuff that Visa/MasterCard/Amex should have attempted at least long ago.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I do understand that this is a remarkable solution for the US.

But I doubt it will be adopted worldwide.

Paying a fee per transaction is just a no-go.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008

Why would it be a no go exactly?

Banks that Apple have already concluded negotiations with have determined that the amount that their income will increase (by increased use of their cards) will offset whatever % they will need to pay to Apple out of their "take" of each transaction. Just the same way record labels made the same decision years ago.

Why would banks in other countries not make exactly the same determination?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Fair enough!

Apple spent a ton on software/hardware engineering to solve these banks' problems. Why shouldn't they be willing to pay for that?

Why should Apple create a new payment system and give it away to banks for free?

I don't understand the knee-jerk reactions to a good thing--for us as users first and foremost.

And that fee will most certainly go up to cover Apple's take.

According to the article, the banks stand to make more money, which is WHY they are willing to pay Apple a tiny fee.

They'll make more money because credit cards will now be easier and safer than before, so people will use them more. There's no need to look for "evil hidden fees" when the profit motive of the banks is unchanged and simple.

Banks also stand to lose less to fraud.

So why are people stating as fact that banks will lose money if they don't add new fees, hidden or otherwise? What's your source of such dire certainty?

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Apple has yet to...Discover It.

I was wondering about that. A lot of the gift cards start with the number "6", which I have only seen on Discover Cards. Does Discover take care of those?

Just an observation (first digit):
3 - AMEX
4 - Visa
5 - MC
6 - Discover

or am I off base on this one.

The point (yeah, I was wondering when I'd get there too...) is that a lot of gift cards are, in effect "Discover Cards," so I was wondering if, in the future, they'd get in on that too.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
And that fee will most certainly go up to cover Apple's take.

Ever notice how some places don't accept American Express? It's because they charge a higher fee. That fee makes retailers unwilling to contract. In the case of debit being run as debit, the merchant may or may not pass on a service charge. It varies by merchant. When you hit credit, they pay fees just as they would with Visa, typically around 2.5-2.75%. If that goes up too much, you're less likely to see strong adoption. I really hate that practice.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
In the UK the limiting factor of NFC is a £20 maximum bill/total, for obvious reasons.

Would Apple Pay overcome that, or am I still limited to £20 payments? That is, if it reaches the UK.

"If" is definitely the right word. Can you say iTunes Radio anyone?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

this will never come to Germany. We are way to "anal" about privacy giving our "Stasi" history

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Banks that Apple have already concluded ... Why would banks in other countries not make exactly the same determination?
Because these banks which agreed to use the old model of credit cards. The rest of the world has moved on a long time ago. Credit cards - especially with the magnetic stripes - are very poorly and more and more rarely used when you live in Europe for example. There are a lot of people owning a credit card for the sole purpose of being able to shop online. Because many online stores just do not allow other cards than VISA, MC and Amex. But the fees you have to pay are horrible. This has started to change the past years, just the same as it started to change about 20 years ago in real life. More modern cards are accepted (especially debit cards, not credit cards) in many online stores which are free of fee just the same way as you do not pay fees when you use such cards in stores. You pay a fixed amout per year for the bank to account your money, that's it. I did not use my VISA for more than a year now and as there is no other use for that piece of plastic in the real life, people start to abandon these cards alltogether.

I did not pay fees per transaction for the past 20 years. Why should I now?

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Very true.

attachment.php

It's not a liquid. It's a great many pieces of solid matter that form a hard, floor-like surface.

djorn2k

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Why would it be a no go exactly?

Banks that Apple have already concluded negotiations with have determined that the amount that their income will increase (by increased use of their cards) will offset whatever % they will need to pay to Apple out of their "take" of each transaction. Just the same way record labels made the same decision years ago.

Why would banks in other countries not make exactly the same determination?

What make you think that? Let me guess your analogy. Only because I don't carry my physical card now I will spend more. The US has the worst debt ratio per person. I think you are the only exception.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2012

its only 20 because when someone steals your contactless card they dont need any id or additional codes of any sorts to make transactions obviously you see why that would be the reason to set the limit at only 20 pounds.

there is absolutely no reason not to allow iphones' secure payments to have limits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.