Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
It is a joke to people thinking US can make the iPhone or some other large volume product. However if this is a goal than Apple needs to tread even slower than before as GTAT is a perfect example. Imagine building a complete product with multiple US manufacturers? And depending on them. Crazy. Someone else pointed out it would take a decade and I tend to agree that it would take that long to transition manufacturing something like an iPhone to be completely built in the US. There are just no manufacturing plants at such scale in the US. They would literally have to build a new town for this endeavor and also get the people to move their for this type of jobs. Just imagine the costs, the politics involved.

I think small scale is the best we will get for US manufacturing. Mac Pro, TB Displays.. peripherals maybe Mac Mini is about it.

You are dead wrong on this one! It can be done, it has been done, they moved the jobs overseas and wreaked the tax base system and this was caused by those that control the money supply in the USA.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
I am not praising Apple on this situation. I think GT is the fall-guy / scapegoat here.

I think this mess all comes down to Apple deciding, late in the game, that sapphire was not a possible/practical/affordable solution for mobile device screens.

From this decision Apple then decided to cover it's ass for making an impossible/impractical/unaffordable decision in the first place.

The most powerful organizations in the world can get away with this type of stuff.

I was sort of thinking along the same lines, but how DARE you say such blasphemy here! LOL

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

With all the APPLE hate going on, when was the last time any other competitor made as much positive ethnical decisions than Apple. Seriously.

----------

You are dead wrong on this one! It can be done, it has been done, they moved the jobs overseas and wreaked the tax base system and this was caused by those that control the money supply in the USA.

It can be done but at what costs? And how long would it take? Would it be even feasible to have it in the US while maintaining current profit margin that shareholders love? All for what? Just to say it is made in USA? Apple is a global brand and worth more as a global brand than a US brand.

Decade is a safe bet.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
With all the APPLE hate going on, when was the last time any other competitor made as much positive ethnical decisions than Apple. Seriously.

----------

It can be done but at what costs? And how long would it take? Would it be even feasible to have it in the US while maintaining current profit margin that shareholders love? All for what? Just to say it is made in USA? Apple is a global brand and worth more as a global brand than a US brand.

Decade is a safe bet.

Then we should start now. Those jobs a technology belong to this country not china!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Disused sapphire is going to be piling up like AOL CDs. Get it while it's cheap!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Who will be the next USA Manufacturer to take this on? Come on Apple giving an opportunity to bring the jobs back from oversea suppliers! Don't screw it up (again)!!

No thanks. Send it back to China where they actually get stuff done.

----------

Then we should start now. Those jobs a technology belong to this country not china!

Nope. They belong where they can actually get stuff done. That isn't here.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I am not praising Apple on this situation. I think GT is the fall-guy / scapegoat here.

I think this mess all comes down to Apple deciding, late in the game, that sapphire was not a possible/practical/affordable solution for mobile device screens.

From this decision Apple then decided to cover it's ass for making an impossible/impractical/unaffordable decision in the first place.

The most powerful organizations in the world can get away with this type of stuff.

"Late in the game"? You've got to be ignorant of manufacturing. Yes it's technically possible to do something like that, but that is of astronomical odds. You don't just make a decision last minute "Actually, we're going to use gorilla".

Secondly, we've had zero, absolutely zero actual reports of them using sapphire for screens. It's only been speculation by analysts, and well.. we all know how much those guys really know. Just because they currently USE sapphire for touchID and lens screen, and they have a patent for bonding sapphire to a screen doesn't mean they were going to do it for iPhone 6 & 6+. They need lots of sapphire for the watch. There is no way they would have been able to produce enough for the iPhone demand.

People just put the patent and GT together and said, sapphire screen! As the saying goes, Correlation does not imply causation.

How are those liquid metal iphones, ipads, and macs doing? ;)

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
GTAT the fall guy? You serious? More logical assumption is GTAT failed to meet the requirements of the contract and not Apple 'late in the game' decided not to use the sapphire. You actually think Apple don't have the life cycle of every component planned in detail? You think this is their first complex smart phone they have manufactured? This ain't Blackberry. Apple is the top of the food chain because of proven track records and you want to say GTAT is the one more competent then Apple? So competent they only had 1/15-1/20 of the revenue prior and have no experiences at this scale but you still think GTAT is the 'scape goat' really? Tin foil hat anyone?

I do not let peer-pressure, fear or "groupthink" stop me from being able to Think Differently. More folks should give "independent thought" a try...it really is great!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

"I think" blah blah blah. You know nothing. None of us do.

----------

I do not let peer-pressure or fear stop me from being able to Think Differently. More folks should give "independent thought" a try...it really is great!

Blaming Apple isn't thinking differently. It's pretty much following the herd mentality.

Tigger11

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Rocket City, USA
Jobs brought more manufacturing jobs to the USA.

Job: Zero manufacturing jobs brought to the USA.
Cook: Minus 700 (or so) jobs brought to the USA.

Cook through this collapse cost many manufacturing workers their jobs.

First of all Apples Gorilla Glass is made in the US and shipped to china, so all Apple was doing was trying to use a different US manufacturer for the front screen and it didnt work out, instead of the screens being made in Arizona, they are being made by Corning in Kentucky. Also currently all of the Mac Pros are being made in Austin, Texas which is the actual product that Tim Cook said he was moving manufacturing of back to the US. The reason that the iPhone and iPad are manufactured in China is number of workers needed for the effort, pure and simple. The logistics of manufacturing just a million items a month are huge, in the quantities that Apple is selling (almost 20 million phones + ipads a month) it takes 10s of 1000s of workers, and you can't drop a plant anywhere in the US and pickup anywhere near that kind of workers. Sorkin actually talked some about it in the Jobs book.
-Tig

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Blaming Apple isn't thinking differently. It's pretty much following the herd mentality.

Not on this particular topic at this particular forum.

----------

"I think" blah blah blah. You know nothing. None of us do.

"I think" usually implies one is expressing a personal opinion. You should re-read your own signature a few hundred times today, and then look up the definition of groupthink.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005

----------

Amen to that. Many people in the US are too lazy or entitled to do that kind of work. Don't get me wrong, we have good hard working people who currently do it, and do a good job (most of the time), but too many people feel entitled to a job making 60-70k right out of college or tech school. That's partly due to Gen X parents helicoptering their kids, but that's a different discussion.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jobs brought more manufacturing jobs to the USA.

Job: Zero manufacturing jobs brought to the USA.
Cook: Minus 700 (or so) jobs brought to the USA.

Cook through this collapse cost many manufacturing workers their jobs.

How is Cook responsible for GT's failure? And have you forgotten about the Mac Pro and the increased headcount in all the apple stores and the headquarters?

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Ive needs to make himself thin. He is very fat bordering obese now.

And this has what to do with any topic ever discussed on these forums? What concern of yours is his weight?

----------

I was sort of thinking along the same lines, but how DARE you say such blasphemy here! LOL

Blaming Apple seems to have become the majority opinion here, not blasphemy. It's gotten to the point no one can say anything nice about Apple without being labeled a 'fanboi'.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I do not let peer-pressure, fear or "groupthink" stop me from being able to Think Differently. More folks should give "independent thought" a try...it really is great!

Think differently yah sure.. just your lack lot logic is funny but hey that is why we have fiction movies and books.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Think I'll try manufacturing a sapphire boule this weekend. Microwave - check. Cooking utensils of various sizes - check. Thermometer - check. How difficult can it be?

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Think I'll try manufacturing a sapphire boule this weekend. Microwave - check. Cooking utensils of various sizes - check. Thermometer - check. How difficult can it be?

Are you in the US? If so not at all, hey let me buy your microwave and utensils.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

----------

You are right certain tasks are best suited for China or some other oversea supplier. China has decades and decades of experience and people here think yah sure flip a switch and they can do it just as good with no issues. For the people who think this is not the case are delusional. Also 'Made in USA' is a feel good political talking point which is crazy overrated. Globalization is a foreign concept to the people who love to argue the fact we need to bring back jobs to the US. I seriously wonder if these people have even left their own state or know what happens outside of the US.

----------

UK. I'll post pics of the first test boule on Monday. Start taking orders Tuesday.
BTW, what exactly is a boule?

Great going to buy some stamps to mail in my purchase order. Could I get my sapphire with lavender scent?

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
See picture in article.

I see the pics of these boules in all these articles, but I don't see anything else to give me a reference to how big they are. The article mentioned "hundreds of kilograms", so exactly how large are these hunks of sapphire?

For once I actually want a banana for scale...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.