Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You know - the thing that bothers me about what is being said (by Apple) about the current state of TV, the UI, etc is hypocritical. Sure Apple hasn't been in the market as long... but they've had plenty of time to fix their UI over the past few years and have done little in that realm. I greatly look forward to seeing how they overhaul the UI for Apple TV. The whole sawdust in the eye thing.

jotwee

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Düsseldorf, Germany
At this point we have heard this rumor so many times it's the boy who cried wolf. If they are right this time it's purely luck and not inside info.

But this year it makes more sense imo. IOS 9 will focus on stabilization and performance. New features will mainly be AppleWatch native apps and AppleTV. Well, at least these are my wishes.

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
So my idea for how Apple will transform the TV viewing experience is by completely throwing away the concept of "channels." No longer do you go to HBO to tune into the latest ep of Game of Thrones. You don't have to remember to tune in to ABC to find Shark Tank. You just explore the Apple TV in a Netflix style interface. Looking for sci-fi? Drill down and see what's available. Looks interesting? Tune in and you start watching the SyFy channel. But it doesn't really matter to you what channel you're on, all you care about is the content. Nor does it matter if you're watching live TV or on demand. If it's available to stream, then it just works.

Comments, criticisms, thoughts? Any other ideas?

Yeah. This reminds me of the apps for web sites. When that first began, I thought it was great. But as we got more, it began to be a pain. A browser is so much easier to move from one site to the other with.

It's easier to move to the proper channel with a controller than to look through the channels with Apple's remote. Click to move right or left, pop, pop, pop, then click to move up or down, pop, pop, pop.

It's a real pain. Moving to more channels with a controller using numbers is much easier as we get more of them. I don't know how Apple intends to resolve this, but if they're going to have a lot of channels eventually, it will get even more unwieldy than it is now.

Most people are looking for a specific show, one they watch every week. It's not like going into a bookstore and browsing the shelves until you find something you like.

Last edited:

850t5

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Makes sense- the A8 is capable of 4k if I remember correctly, and that seems to be all the rage in TV shops these days.
Yes 4k is exactly what I'm looking for to properly fuel my 65' UHD TV. So far I was holding off to buy an Apple TV as it supports only HDTV.

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Great to hear. My ATV2 needs an upgrade. Hopefully, they'll have an App Store and let people make apps for this new one. I really need Plex and Amazon Prime on my ATV. That's what has me switching over to my Amazon Fire Stick more and more frequently.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I hope the new Apple TV will support 4K movies.

Wonder how much this will cost?
The new Apple TV will probably return to the $99 price point. The recently announced $69 price point is probably to clear out the inventory of the current product.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
This...

There's an app called FanTV (previously Fanhattan I think) that allows you to search a specific show or movie and it tells you what platforms it's on. Saves me having to go and search for it through multiple services.

So my idea for how Apple will transform the TV viewing experience is by completely throwing away the concept of "channels." No longer do you go to HBO to tune into the latest ep of Game of Thrones. You don't have to remember to tune in to ABC to find Shark Tank. You just explore the Apple TV in a Netflix style interface. Looking for sci-fi? Drill down and see what's available. Looks interesting? Tune in and you start watching the SyFy channel. But it doesn't really matter to you what channel you're on, all you care about is the content. Nor does it matter if you're watching live TV or on demand. If it's available to stream, then it just works.

Comments, criticisms, thoughts? Any other ideas?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder if the new TV remote will feature force touch/haptic feedback technology?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
With Metal, if Apple put an A8X in the next Apple TV and aren't stingy with flash memory, we'd have a console very competitive with the Xbox 360 on a technical level.

aaroncshearer

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2015
Columbus, OH
Remote Audio

Apple, if you are reading this please incorporate remote audio for those of us with young children (or other reasons to want to not use speakers).

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
sell that bad boy for some $$. I sold mine for like 250 on eBay

How did you sell it for $250? Is there some reason why people want the second generation over the third generation?

I have a second gen model that I bought when it first came out. What am I missing here?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How did you sell it for $250? Is there some reason why people want the second generation over the third generation?

I have a second gen model that I bought when it first came out. What am I missing here?

I believe the ability to jailbreak? I don't have the AT3 and haven't kept up on "hacking" it

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
You know - the thing that bothers me about what is being said (by Apple) about the current state of TV, the UI, etc is hypocritical. Sure Apple hasn't been in the market as long... but they've had plenty of time to fix their UI over the past few years and have done little in that realm. I greatly look forward to seeing how they overhaul the UI for Apple TV. The whole sawdust in the eye thing.

I'm skeptical when it comes to the new TV and new subscription music service. Mark Gurman at 9to5Mac said on MacBreak Weekly that he didn't expect a major UI overhaul for TV. He also claims no major iTunes overhaul; that the new subscription service will basically just be bolted on to the existing iTunes along side iTunes Radio. Plus he says a lot of engineers on the music project have left Apple because they weren't happy, especially engineers working on the Android version of the service.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
im guessing thats why the current :apple:TV was lowered to $69. Once they announce the New :apple:TV it will start off at $99 and they will continue selling both versions. One for $69 and the new one for $99.

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Hit out of the park

I hope the new Apple TV will support 4K movies.

The new Apple TV will probably return to the $99 price point. The recently announced $69 price point is probably to clear out the inventory of the current product.

I agree that if Apple really wants to grab the TV business by the tail & make a few more gazillion dollars they will price the new unit at $99.

Heck, with all the "add ons" they will more than make up the R & D expenses plus a little more for a few lattes. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.