Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Apple's just not going to do it. From my perspective, they run into too many issues of ownership - there are definitely problems proving that the "merger" isn't really a fraudulent account take-over. Does Apple want to get into validating all that, and risk issues if they turn out to make the wrong decision ("this is the same person")?

Not really that hard of a problem to solve. Just require that the credit card, name, address, etc on both accounts match and do two step verification logins for both. It's doable, especially for a company like Apple. The only issue is that they don't really have much motivation to actually do it.

It's possible for you to move most (or all) of your iCloud data into your old iTunes account, though Apple won't do it for you. The easiest part are your Contacts. When you sign out of iCloud you're asked if you want to keep your contacts on your iPhone. Say 'Yes,' of course, and then when you sign into the other account, you'll be asked if you want to merge the contacts on your phone with that iCloud account. In most other cases, you need to backup the data from one account and then import it into the other. This article explains how: https://support.apple.com/HT204055

One factor not addressed by that strategy is if your "iCloud account" is an iCloud.com email address. No way to reassign an icloud.com/me.com/mac.com address to another account the way you could if it was a non-Apple email (gmail.com, yahoo.com, etc.). To Apple, those addresses are always accounts (or if they're aliases, permanently attached to an account), so their "no mergers" policy applies.

Yes, my account is an icloud.com email address. I don't want my contacts on my iTunes account. I really hate how they made the addresses automatically an account instead allowing you to connect it to an already existing iTunes account upon creation.

On the assumption that Apple won't help people "simplify" by eliminating multiple accounts, Family Sharing (which preserves the individual accounts, so things can be un-done when/if necessary) is the workaround. Sure, you can't "simplify" to a single account, but I'm fairly certain the "legacy" account does not have to be signed in once the share has been setup. In other words, you could sign into iTunes/App Store purchases with your iCloud Apple ID for new purchases, while relying on the old iTunes/App Store Apple ID for past purchases without being signed in somewhere. Yes, you would have one more account name and password to keep track of in your records, but if you're like many people, you already have dozens or hundreds of login accounts to keep track of. It would be nice to clean house a bit, but in all my years of having keys on key rings, about the only time I could "simplify" was when I moved into a new house (or got a new job) that had fewer doors than the last.

Exactly. It's a work around. Instead of actually taking the time to really help fix the issue Apple just provided an entirely different feature that could be used as a workaround.

At least they made it easy on iOS to have two separate accounts for iTunes and iCloud.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Not really that hard of a problem to solve. Just require that the credit card, name, address, etc on both accounts match and do two step verification logins for both. It's doable, especially for a company like Apple. The only issue is that they don't really have much motivation to actually do it.
It seems a reasonably secure approach, but they're still likely to err on the side of caution. This can really only address one particular type of account merger - a single individual consolidating accounts. It doesn't directly address those "other" mergers - individuals who want to pool their iTunes purchases, and account take-overs (and account take-overs include the nastiness that can occur during break-ups and divorces).

In both those cases, the individuals could game the system by changing the name and payment info on one of the accounts, and enable two-step verification... those steps are entirely in the account-holder's control (and it's not uncommon for significant others/spouses to have each other's passwords). Apple could counter fraudulent takeovers by blocking mergers where the account owner's name and/or credit card had been changed for a certain amount of time, but they couldn't ban those changes indefinitely - a "legitimate" merger could also require making those changes ("Change your last name to your married name, wait a month, and then you can merge.")

Altogether, yeah, it's possible, but "Just say no" is a whole lot simpler and safer for Apple. Since it's un-doable, Family Sharing is still the better solution when multiple individuals are involved - why give those individuals an option (putting the husband's name on both accounts) that can potentially lead to other problems down the road?

Yes, my account is an icloud.com email address. I don't want my contacts on my iTunes account. I really hate how they made the addresses automatically an account instead allowing you to connect it to an already existing iTunes account upon creation.
There are actually two ways to get an iCloud.com address - create an all-new account as you did, or add the iCloud.com address as an alias to an existing, non-Apple-email account. Back when iCloud was introduced, I think a lot of people thought they needed to create an iCloud.com email address to use iCloud (I did). I think Apple could have done a much better job of communicating. In my case, I realized the problem quickly, and simply abandoned the iCloud.com email address/account. I never shared that iCloud.com email address with others, never used it for setting up accounts with other services, etc. But once you make an email account "yours" - yeah, undoing it is a real mess.

Exactly. It's a work around. Instead of actually taking the time to really help fix the issue Apple just provided an entirely different feature that could be used as a workaround.
The primary issues addressed by Family Sharing are much bigger for Apple than those posed by individuals with your particular desire, I'm not sure your particular need was even an afterthought when they developed Family Sharing.

Originally, Apple encouraged families to share iTunes accounts. It was simply administratively for Apple, and it made folks happy (no need to buy the same item multiple times). When iCloud, iMessage, and FaceTime came along, Apple was slow to realize that families sharing a single account for accounts containing "personal" content was... sub-optimal. 5GB of free storage space for four or more users' backups? Spouses seeing each other's text messages? Kids deleting their parents contacts? Still, for a long time after iCloud was introduced, Apple support documents still encouraged families to use a single account for the entire family, for all services. Ultimately, the "right" solution is a separate Apple ID for every individual, and Family Sharing addresses some of the problems created by that change.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
But then I can't add my family to it

You have 6 personal accounts, all with iTunes content purchases?

Now, if you have more than 6 in your family, Family Sharing is a bit, shall we say, restrictive. However, if you have 6 people or less, there are ways for you to manage. You can transfer any of your iCloud data scattered around multiple accounts into a single iCloud account. You can then reassign one or more of your "excess" iTunes accounts to another family member (you can change the email address if necessary, so long as the account wasn't created with a mac.com/me.com/icloud.com address - https://support.apple.com/HT202667 ). Granted, you've given that other family member custody of those iTunes purchases, but if they ever leave the family share, you can have them give the account back to you.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
You have 6 personal accounts, all with iTunes content purchases?

Now, if you have more than 6 in your family, Family Sharing is a bit, shall we say, restrictive. However, if you have 6 people or less, there are ways for you to manage. You can transfer any of your iCloud data scattered around multiple accounts into a single iCloud account. You can then reassign one or more of your "excess" iTunes accounts to another family member (you can change the email address if necessary, so long as the account wasn't created with a mac.com/me.com/icloud.com address - https://support.apple.com/HT202667 ). Granted, you've given that other family member custody of those iTunes purchases, but if they ever leave the family share, you can have them give the account back to you.

I only have one 'icloud' account but multiple itunes accounts. They all have a @Mac or @me with them

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I only have one 'icloud' account but multiple itunes accounts. They all have a @Mac or @me with them
It's not a matter of whether they have @Mac or @me "with them," "with them" could be an alias, rather than the primary email address. You'd see that if you signed into http://appleid.apple.com In the Account section, if the me.com/mac.com address is listed as "Apple ID" then you can't change it. If it's listed under "Reachable At" then you can change the Apple ID to a different email address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.