Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

210604-90_second_samples.jpg

According to Symphonic Distribution, Apple has informed music labels that it is preparing to extend the length of iTunes Store song previews in the United States to 90 seconds for songs that are at least 2 minutes and 30 seconds long. Shorter songs will continue to offer the current 30-second samples.
We are pleased to let you know that we are preparing to increase the length of music previews from 30 seconds to 90 seconds on the iTunes Store in the United States. We believe that giving potential customers more time to listen to your music will lead to more purchases.
Apple's email notes that by continuing to offer their music on the iTunes Store, labels are indicating their acceptance of the new terms. Consequently, any labels who do not wish to agree with the terms must withdraw their music from the iTunes Store.

CNET had reported just two days before Apple's music-focused media event on September 1st that such a change was coming, but it failed to materialize at the event. In a follow-up article, CNET later discovered that the change had been held up by licensing issues, which appear to have now been resolved.

Article Link: Apple to Extend iTunes Song Previews to 90 Seconds in U.S.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
I'm really hoping this is true, but it will be interesting to see if any music labels actually pull their media from the store in order to prevent the longer preview.

boscher

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Good

I hope this happens because sometimes you will get a little preview before you actually hear the artist singing. I would be more apt to buying a song if I heard the artist rather than just the intro.

JPTech

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
YES! I am VERY excited about this. But yeah, I wonder if any labels will care that much and pull their music. Personally, I think that'd be an idiotic business decision.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
cool, i was listening to some iTunes previews today and thought they should be longer.

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It's about time!!!!

thetechnologist

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Perfect Timing

I've always thought 60 seconds is ample time to sample songs so I believe 90 seconds is awesome. It drives me crazy when I hear 30 second samples composed of just a repetitive chorus or instrumental loops which turn out to be an ineffective in helping me decide whether I want the song. 90 seconds should definitely do the job.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Cool.

The limit was stupid. If I wanted to steal music then both:
a) file sharing
and
b) finding it on youtube

...are much better ways than constantly repeating an iTunes preview. :rolleyes:

The labels have some weird ideas sometimes.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I can't really see why the labels would potentially be against this. Almost all songs are available on YouTube anyway, so I don't see them losing any sales.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Glad to hear, but will be happy when it actually goes into action. I have a feeling that some music labels aren't going to like this.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
this is great, i wish they said when it will take effect. i guess this means 10.1.1 update for itunes and 4.2.1 update for idevice coming before the end of the year.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
this is great, i wish they said when it will take effect. i guess this means 10.1.1 update for itunes and 4.2.1 update for idevice coming before the end of the year.

I don't think an update is necessary. It's all on the iTunes Store.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Wow, that's kind of crazy, I was just thinking about this 15 minutes ago when I was listening to some clips of a CD I've been looking at buying for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.