Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
"Retrofit"? With the new regulation announced december 2009, they could have addressed it in the 2010 minor update. Or the 2011 minor update. Or the 2012 minor update.

And I don't get where you get "June" from. For all we know it may be December, and even if it is June, that's half a year without that product available in europe.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Let's be honest. How many of you, professional or amateur, would buy the newest yet-to-be-seen MacPro+AppleDisplay27" instead of the thickest rMBP+AppleDisplay27"??? And why?

The CC is waiting, though I won't be buying a display.

And people wonder why Western economies are imploding and contracting. :rolleyes:

We need more regulations !!!!!!

That would be the US and Greece right..

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
A company sitting on over $130B in cash and who just posted record year-over-year sales and profits (over $13B) should be ashamed of themselves for not updating their flagship product.
If by "flagship" you mean "fastest," then yes, they should be ashamed.

But if by "flagship" you mean "most stuff sold" or "most known to the consumer," both the iPhone and the iPad have been recently updated.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Cook said "later in 2013", sounds like end of 2013 to me.

No it doesn't you look at the whole context. It was more like

"we don't have anything now , but later in 2013 "

'Later' is relative. It is pulling what it is relative to out of the context that makes it ambiguous (or malleable for convenient reinterpretation ). In that context, it is relative to 'now' not the completely unmentioned January, April, May, or June 2013.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
This action is necessary because there are some novices who will attempt to replace something on their Mac Pros while it is still running. Apple has to respond to the EU attempts to protect all the little people, especially those who reside in the bottom 50% of the IQ range.

EnderStiggin

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Uninformed folks? You can add an original member of the Mac 1984 team to the 'folks' then:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/?newsid=3363706

It's funny how some people defend Apple blindly. Let's all enjoy our iToys and defend Apple no matter what: "MacPros don't matter", "it's only 1% of the Mac line".

Funny when the 1% are needed to create content or apps for the 99% of consumers and iToy buyers.

You appear to be one of those people that reads what they want to see, as opposed to what is really there.

Last time I checked, Andy didn't put that 6 month old post in the thread, so by any sane logical definition I couldn't be referring to him.

In addition, I'm not blindly defending anything. I'm informatively defending, and I'm defending in favour of it!

And didn't say that Mac Pro's don't matter either!

If you're as informed as you claim to be, you know full well that the vast majority of the 1% (developers) you're referring to do not use the Mac Pro as a development box. It's a brute force machine, which unfortunately have and always will be useful for only a minority of users.

At least read my post before you bash me bro.

Keep faith, a new Mac Pro will come.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
will you please update the Mac Pro :mad:

why is so hard to update a great product but easily prove Steve jobs wrong by releasing an iPad mini

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I doubt the new MacPro (or whatever the replacement will be called) will be out in June. Cook said "later in 2013", sounds like end of 2013 to me.

Of course, Apple shouldn't retrofit the aging machine, but the question is why they wait for 36 months to update the MacPro line.

You guys are reading into silly things. The statement was extremely ambiguous. If it was a PR statement meant to indicate late 2013 to accommodate planned orders, it would have been specific. You're trying to determine the meaning of later and whether the original implication was "later, in 2013" or "later in 2013", which is really a thankless task. The statement was short enough to where these points likely weren't considered. The forensic analysis here only happened due to the lack of further information.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
I'm glad the EU has regulations to protect the poor people from dangerous computer fans... :rolleyes:

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Touching the fan blades? What moron is in charge of these regulations? I don't find my Mac Pro dangerous at all.
The morons are the elected government officials. I'm sure they made this new regulation due to the 10's of thousands of people that lost a finger in these fans.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Not to pick a fight, but I was responding to your assertion about how no one ever needs to open a Mac Pro, not to anything specific about how an idiot might indeed stick a finger in a fan.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 and a 5,1 and I've had to have the 1,1 open in order to examine LED displays many times. If you haven't ever had to do this, good for you. But I have, and I'm hardly the only one. I'd guess not a week goes by on MacRumors without someone needing to be told to have a look at a Mac Pro's diagnostic LEDs. And this cannot be done without opening the case while the Mac Pro's plugged in and powered up and running or trying to run.

But you won't get your finger stuck in the fan, so the regulation requiring it to shut off when opened is not necessary. That's my point.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I don't know why we are still debating the worth of the Mac Pro?

Didn't people see my earlier post where Mac Pro was declaired King.

He has a crown, cape and gold necklace to prove it, look.:D

Attachments

• King_pro_2_F.jpg
    King_pro_2_F.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 81

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Hey... d'ya think this will force Apple to announce the "new Mac Pro" (if there is one) by the end of February?... So, if they're going to dramatically change the features, people like me can still get the old one before they disappear from sale?

No. Apple could easily stockpile the current designs the channel inventory if they wanted to. ( give some kind of discount to channel folks who took more Mac Pros along with other Apple stuff). It would be cheaper and more effective.

It isn't like the Mac Pro is a super hot selling product than can't keep in stock. More likely it just means running the Mac Pro product line as "normal" speed rather than reduced speed. That might incur a hiccup downstream when the production line would have to run at super slow speed; it may need to be shut down.

There has been for over a year two target windows in 2013 that make sense. One is January-early March ( before the discontinue anniverary date on the 2008 Mac Pros ... i.e., when the 2009 launched).

It is early enough to get out a Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 based model before the Ivy Bridge replacements start to build talk of being "just around the corner". If Apple started on a new Mac Pro back in very late 2011 they could make that date.

The second is around late July- late October. If Apple didn't finish hemming-hawing over a new Mac Pro until well into Q1 2012 then they don't have anything finished. Since the Ivy Bridge E5's pragmatically take the same motherboard as a Sandy Bridge model they might as well wait for that once get close to Intel's target date even if they finished in April-June. The problem with that is the Intel is likely going to deliver late. Well past July and possibly not flushing out the whole component line up needed until Sept-October (given their track record in 2012 for SB components. ).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No, a flagship product is what a company is most identified with, or is chiefly responsible for it's success. I don't think the Mac Pro qualifies in either case.
My dictionary does list both what I said and what you said, so I'm not going to say you are wrong. You may want to consider reciprocation. I should add, it does NOT say "chiefly responsible for it's success", that is the definition of popularity, or perhaps "in vogue". I don't understand why people try to change words, just pick the correct word.
A flagship is the ship that the Admiral is on. It isn't necessarily the biggest one ( guns/units , size , displacement ) . Nor is it necessarily the smallest one.
The naval metaphor is simply that. The term has been adapted for use about consumer products. That's how etymology works.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
But you won't get your finger stuck in the fan, so the regulation requiring it to shut off when opened is not necessary. That's my point.

Maybe if you guys stopped pointing so much, you'd never get your fingers cut off by the MP's fans!

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
This thread is little more than a lot of uninformed folks taking the opportunity to Apple bash. There is some logic here and there however.

I sincerely hope that Apple never bows down to the EU and their ridiculousness. If it were up to them we would all have to wear a helmet during a bowel movement.

The machine was safe yesterday and it's safe today. If Apple did retool the design to comply, people would find a way to complain about that too.

You can keep some of the people happy, some of the time.

Instead of always assuming the worst, why not assume that this announcement is an indicator that Apple WILL be releasing a revised Mac Pro.

There is one reason and one reason only that there's no new Mac Pro yet. Intel has yet to bake Thunderbolt into their Xeon chipsets. The enterprise roadmaps just don't move at that quick a pace. They never have.

Keep faith, it will happen.

Hi Tim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.