Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with previous rumors and confirmations, Apple today announced the opening of a new development center in Hyderabad, India focused on Apple Maps development.

waverock_hyderabad.jpg
WaveRock campus in Hyderabad, India

The new center, launched in partnership with RMSI, will employ up to 4,000 workers, with the announcement coming as part of Tim Cook's ongoing trip to China and India.
"Apple is focused on making the best products and services in the world and we are thrilled to open this new office in Hyderabad which will focus on Maps development," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The talent here in the local area is incredible and we are looking forward to expanding our relationships and introducing more universities and partners to our platforms as we scale our operations." [...]

"Apple is one of the most innovative companies in the world and we are very proud they chose us to partner with for this important project," said Anup Jindal, RMSI's CEO. "We are experts in geospatial data and we will be hiring thousands of people from the local area to support this effort."
According to previous reports, the new center at Tishman Speyer's WaveRock campus in Hyderabad is 250,000 square feet, with Apple investing $25 million in the project.

The news comes a day after Apple announced plans to open an iOS App Design and Development Accelerator in Bangalore, India. That center, intended to aid Indian app developers in adopting Apple's Swift programming language and help with development and one-on-one app reviews, is planned to open early next year.

Article Link: Apple to Hire 4,000 Employees in Hyderabad, India to Work on Maps Development

RTG4869

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2015

In line with previous rumors and confirmations, Apple today announced the opening of a new development center in Hyderabad, India focused on Apple Maps development.

waverock_hyderabad.jpg

WaveRock campus in Hyderabad, India

The new center will employ up to 4,000 workers, with the announcement coming as part of Tim Cook's ongoing trip to China and India.According to previous reports, the new center at Tishman Speyer's WaveRock campus in Hyderabad is 250,000 square feet, with Apple investing $25 million in the project.

The news comes a day after Apple announced plans to open an iOS App Design and Development Accelerator in Bangalore, India. That center, intended to aid Indian app developers in adopting Apple's Swift programming language and help with development and one-on-one app reviews, is planned to open early next year.

Article Link: Apple to Hire 4,000 Employees in Hyderabad, India to Work on Maps Development

The WaveRock campus is 2,500,000 square feet, not 250,000.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
After many years, Siri still believes the closest ER to me is a veterinary hospital. If I ask it a different way, it responds with a historic mental health hospital that's now a museum. If another slightly different way, I get an Urgent Care a half our away. There are two actual emergency departments only miles from my home. I've reported this to Apple Maps many times, and it's never fixed.

Google Now and Google Maps are so far ahead of Apple. I use a feature on maps.google.com where I give it a date and time I need to be at a location and it tells me when I'll need to leave the house by based on historical traffic. It's really amazing.

I wish there were a way to set depressing the home button on my iPhone to bring up Google Now rather than Siri and to use Google Maps instead. Apple is just way behind.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
After many years, Siri still believes the closest ER to me is a veterinary hospital. If I ask it a different way, it responds with a historic mental health hospital that's now a museum. If another slightly different way, I get an Urgent Care a half our away. There are two actual emergency departments only miles from my home. I've reported this to Apple Maps many times, and it's never fixed.

Google Now and Google Maps are so far ahead of Apple. I use a feature on maps.google.com where I give it a date and time I need to be at a location and it tells me when I'll need to leave the house by based on historical traffic. It's really amazing.

I wish there were a way to set depressing the home button on my iPhone to bring up Google Now rather than Siri and to use Google Maps instead. Apple is just way behind.
The home button is depressing, just buy a REAL phone with all those things as standard. I never use Siri on my iPad, I use Google now all the time on my S7 Edge, even when I cough or splutter through a sentence Google Now gets it right.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
The home button is depressing, just buy a REAL phone with all those things as standard. I never use Siri on my iPad, I use Google now all the time on my S7 Edge, even when I cough or splutter through a sentence Google Now gets it right.
I've got a $300 Navigator, I never use it anymore, Google Maps makes it look 50 years out of date.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I really enjoyed Hyderabad . Thier tech city is really impressive . Not surprised , it was choosen
[doublepost=1463635184][/doublepost]
Anyone else as uninterested in this as I am? Where are the WWDC leaks?
Is argue this news is more interesting than the last keynote . An improved map service is a big deal for iPhone users, much more than a watch band or spec bump of an existing product.

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015

Do you have to go to the ER that frequently that it is a problem!?!?!

JEVjnd2024

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2016
LOL, yeah, Apple clearly gives a damn about creating jobs in America.
I have a Macbook pro, an iPad, an iPhone, a Mac Pro, and with this move, I'm not buying anymore. It was okay with Foxconn, companies have to do that to stay competitive, but Apple is comprised of a bunch of greedy tax dodgers who don't give a damn about our America. I'm done with the rotten Apple.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
[QUOTE="swingerofbirch, post: 22915272, member: 23210]Google Now and Google Maps are so far ahead of Apple. I use a feature on maps.google.com where I give it a date and time I need to be at a location and it tells me when I'll need to leave the house by based on historical traffic. It's really amazing.[/QUOTE]

Apple has no chance in the map game and their approach to it (better user experience, integration into the OS) was naive to say the least. Geo services need data beyond the base map and it's Google who has this, not Apple. Heck, they're not even able to get the maps themselves right, not to mention businesses, hospitals and other POIs. Their integration of dynamic data (real time traffic, public transport etc.) is virtually non-existent except for a few selected locations, while Google has the will and the resources to cover much more.

Their move to India is understandable - servicing maps is labour intensive and labour is cheap there. Let's hope that they only transfer low-end jobs to India and keep their core competencies in the states.

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
"We are experts in geospatial data and we will be hiring thousands of people from the local area to support this effort."
There is no way this area has 4,000 geospatial engineers for the grabs.
Basically he says "We will be hiring thousands of peasants to manually enter stuff into the database which we cannot possibly scan or automate in any other way"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.