Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
C

champ01

Lame, Apple is clearly focusing more on iOS devices and less on Mac OS, which I don't like.. Most people don't use an iPhone more then they do a PC.. I hardly use my iPod Touch in comparison.. I wonder if Apple will even have an event for OSX Lion. Even the Back to Mac event didn't showcase much about the next Operating System, they only covered about 7 minutes of features, the rest was iLife..

Did you watch the last keynote? Guess not

Anyway, Apple goes Pro again! (NEW FCS 2011 NEW LS 2012 NEW Pro mystery app 201?)

- New large high resolution touch screen displays which can be placed in many angles..so amazing that every Pro user will get one, its pricey.
- Boost performance for iMac, Mac Mini and Macbook. (all incl. Thunderbolt)
- New smaller Mac Pro!? (without dvd drives?)

- New FCS which will be mind blowing!
- New Mobile Me services (free version, paid version)
- A new Pro application? (web?)

(no facts just rumors)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Nice! I really hope they've worked hard on iOS 5 and will bring big improvements.

I'm hoping for:

1. New notification system - A copy of Android, make the status bar a bit thicker and make it a pull down menu spring menu like Android, integrate multitasking switcher into it, plus toggles for bluetooth, wifi, airplane and others, also include music controls.

This + toggles would be perfect, instant access from anywhere.

4Y2iQ.png

2. Widgets or at least Live/dynamic icons - A weather app should display degrees on the icon like Calendar does with dates.

3. Selective Full Multitasking - Integrate backgrounder into iOS, keep the current multitasking as a default but allow those that want a certain app(s) to run fully have that option.

4. Mass Storage Support - Give us an access to the filesystem or atleast provide some space where we can drop files into.

5. Integrated SIP support

6. Alarm with a configurable snooze function

7. Ability to change SMS/email tones

8. Full Bluetooth support, sending files, contacts, syncing, etc...

9. Free navigation app with an ability to download maps to use them offline

10. DivX/XviD/MKV support

v5point0

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
Android and The Jailbreaking Community Lead The Development on iPhone/iOS

So MobileMe will be free with music syncing features and iOS5 would sport a new UI refresh and a better notification system.

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Nice! I really hope they've worked hard on iOS 5 and will bring big improvements.

I'm hoping for:

1. New notification system - A copy of Android, make the status bar a bit thicker and make it a pull down menu spring menu like Android, integrate multitasking switcher into it, plus toggles for bluetooth, wifi, airplane and others, also include music controls.

Looks a bit too crowded for Apple

2. Widgets or at least Live/dynamic icons - A weather app should display degrees on the icon like Calendar does with dates.

Think we need at least widgets on locked screen

3. Selective Full Multitasking - Integrate backgrounder into iOS, keep the current multitasking as a default but allow those that want a certain app(s) to run fully have that option.

Doubt Apple will do this as they are so proud of their multiitasking implementation

4. Mass Storage Support - Give us an access to the filesystem or atleast provide some space where we can drop files into.

This is def coming on iPad (mentioned in Lion preview) so presume on iPhone. Looks like we will have a doc area that wirelessly syncs to our iMacs etc running Lion

5. Integrated SIP support
They prob leave that to the Apps

Yeah - quite a lot of the current features are far too basic, e.g. no custom SMS tones etc

You neat me to it!

Cant say I miss this, imagine Bluetooth is to old skool in Apples mind to do file transfer

Now this is something i really do hope will happen, if im travelling the iPhone is useless for navigation via the Maps app unless you are on 3G or downlaod the map in your hotels wifi before leaving for a day out. Wonder if Apple are woring on their own Maps system - would make sense ditching Google!!

Never going to happen - Apple want you using their format, wont want you importing these formats into iTunes

Im sure there will be stuff that we hve not even thought of (hopefully)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

I'm hoping for:

1. New notification system - A copy of Android,

Don't they patent that kind of thing these days?

daveydog

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
wait a minute, you can't even have custom text message tones on the iphone? Are you serious? You can do that on a 200X dumb phone. I must be misunderstanding that.... Apple has a ton of work to do. These things on this board are necessary, not just nice to have. I'm sure they're motivated, because android is kicking their ___ right now. Hopefully they've been busy on this stuff.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Agree with lots of these...

I don't think anyone debates this now, but it's important to log the toggles. The UX journey for turning off wifi - something lots of people do several times a day to conserve battery - is utterly painful. It should be better.

Yep, though a better notification system on the homescreen might fill in some of this.

Yeah, possibly, though it would need a better task manager than iOS has now.

I think a lot of the issues could be arranged with some sort of unified task scheduler in the OS. For example, my iPhone is just at on it's dock connected to wifi, twiddling it's thumbs in the morning before I leave the house. It's crazy that I have to use my my limited 3G data allocation on the run to the train station so I can try and download content to read offline while on the train - going into each individual apps to get news content or my tweets.

A task scheduler could allow an app to start half an hour before I get up, sync all that content for me over wifi, and leave it sitting there for me to read on a train. It'd just work. It'd make the experience much smoother. It'd solve a lot of the issues true multitasking would, and with virtually no downsides if done carefully.

God yes. Trying to email stuff to yourself to get document drafts in Pages on the iPad is beyond clumsy and stupid at the moment.

Sites having to write an application just because you can't upload photos using the standard online dialogue box like every other web browser in the world is crazy, especially given Apple's policies on censoring the app store. Even just giving proper access from Safari to the photo folder would be a huge improvement.

I suspect even Apple's embarrassed by this by now.

Very much so.

Again Apple, think about things in the way you do best - follow the use case and make it great. Last night I took a photo on my iPhone while in my house. I wanted it on my Macbook. If I click forward I can email it (very slow and I don't really want to clog up my inbox) to myself, which is counter intuative. I can upload it to a MobileMe gallery but not just to my MobileMe file store (why??? I don’t want to publish everything). I can plug in a transfer cable and mount it… but that doesn't work in OSX if the phone is Windows formatted as mine is (my music collection is on my Windows box). So why can't I just send it via Bluetooth? Why can't I do send it to someone with a dumb phone, which is still the vast majority of the people I know in real life? This is beyond a joke now. If you don't want to let me send music files then don't. Fine. But restricting photographs is *crazy*.

Yeah, that'd be good, but there are potential licensing problems.

I'd also like to see some attention paid to playing *music* on the device.

• Why does trying to change the EQ settings in the iPod app neccessitate a journey through menus that Microsoft would be ashamed of?
  • Why can't I queue up a track to play *next*? We don't have trackwheels any more, I should be able to create dynamic playlists by dragging and dropping.
  • Why is podcast syncing SO painful? I can go and manually fetch each episode one at a time via the iTunes store... what? Where's my one click button that syncs all of my podcasts, and attaches cloud data to my Apple ID so my computer knows what I've listened to and what I haven't? This is so easy to do.

Phazer

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
wait a minute, you can't even have custom text message tones on the iphone? Are you serious? You can do that on a 200X dumb phone. I must be misunderstanding that.... Apple has a ton of work to do. These things on this board are necessary, not just nice to have. I'm sure they're motivated, because android is kicking their ___ right now. Hopefully they've been busy on this stuff.

If by custom you mean you can choose from Apples list of tones, then yes they have custom. But if you mean you want to use a clip of a song or some other noise you got off the internet, no you cannot (ootb).

J-Kid

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
really

All i want from apple is a useful lock screen, a useful lock screen, a useful lock screen. and maybe live tiles!!!!!

jrb363

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Judging by videos I'd say the new WebOS tablet coming out is going to be superior, with the iPad coming in 2nd. As an Android phone user I can't get on board with their tablet just yet but it has potential. Of course videos don't always tell the truth, but I believe WebOS is still superior to iOS and now that it's part of a company with billions in the bank instead of a company that couldn't pay the bills the best is yet to come.

Of course third party apps will drive the sales of these devices, and I'm still worried if Apple holds their ground on their subscription plans we'll see some big third party apps disappear such as Netflix, Kindle, Pandora, and so forth. Hopefully they'll all be on board WebOS.

I'm in the market for a tablet but I'll wait to see the WebOS product first hand before making a decision. I'm also waiting until this summer when Apple's imposed deadline for their subscription service takes place to see what happens. If Netflix, etc decide to leave I 100% blame Apple for them leaving.

While I do agree about Apple being wrong in how they are handling subscriptions, I find the rest of your post to be the equivalent of this: :rolleyes: :confused: Do you honestly believe that Netflix would risk pissing off potentially millions of users because Apple changed a policy that has no effect on their business? The same goes for Pandora, you can subscribe at any time online so that's a non-issue.

As for Kindle who the hell cares? I'm sure if somebody wants that type of product they would just buy a Kindle in the first place since they're dirt cheap compared to an iPad. Sheesh...some people and their negativity. :rolleyes:

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Hopefully Apple won't muck up MobileMe by plastering elements of iOS throughout.

darrensmith016

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
Maybe to be able to delete all apps off the main screen including weather cal and youtube etc but not delete the app like you can remove stuff off the dock in OS X, and possibly be able to list apps

jw123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010

bluetooth and wifi toggles - agree

agree

the ability to set custom music, custom snooze lengths...a few other changes are needed to alot of the iphones basic apps

DEFINITELY

Doubt it'll happen for sending files, why?? so you cant buy a song/video from itunes and easily send it to all your friends.
Also bluetooth is very slow at sending large files, however it does sometimes come in handy

Free navigation would be pretty cool, although apple will make enough cash from tomtom etc, making a FREE version won't even cross their mind

Useful, but come on, this is apple, not going to happen!

jw123

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
A few other things i'd like to see:

- Improved message app, it doesn't utilise the full screen like android

- "Profiles" My Nokia 3230 used to have profiles, for example when at work i want quiet txt tone and no ringtone, at home i want both on loud, at university i want both quiet. - Also at home i want wifi on, at work i don't - on a night in bed i want the brightness dim, any other time i want it bright. i have to go through the menu 10+ times a day to change things like this, when i could have a few profiles and change between them....

- I also used my girlfriends Nokia n97 the other day and it has a setting where if a particular wifi network is available it'll use that, if not it'll use 3g. wifi isn't always on, but if a app or the web browser is opened it scans for one of the preferred wifi connections. this would save battery life as wifi wouldn't always be on, it'd also save me from going through menus to turn wifi on and off 20 times a day...

It seems i go through menus more on my iphone than i would on a windows PC!!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
- Improved message app, it doesn't utilise the full screen like android

Add BiteSMS like time stamps to it too, when you tap and hold on a message it should show the exact time it was sent/received like BiteSMS does.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
[*]Why is podcast syncing SO painful? I can go and manually fetch each episode one at a time via the iTunes store... what? Where's my one click button that syncs all of my podcasts, and attaches cloud data to my Apple ID so my computer knows what I've listened to and what I haven't? This is so easy to do.
[/LIST]

Phazer

Podcaster for iphone can do that. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.