Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Where would the event be?
Yerba Buena already shows an event on their calendar for that date and Moscone already has one on 09/08.
Isn't the September event usually a multi-day deal?
Interesting...

Sept. 8th debunked?

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 5 isn't a major upgrade. Its been a year and a half since iPhone 4 was released. Apple haven't been sitting around doing nothing.

I'd imagine the iphone 5 has something to do with a 'production transition' / that or the iPod.

I was thinking the same, Apple has something up their sleeve.

Its like they did with the AIR, they took longer than usual to update but when they did they blew everyone out of the water.

We are totally getting a Quad-core

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Yerba Buena already shows an event on their calendar for that date and Moscone already has one on 09/08.

I believe it is a single day event. It takes a day or so in advance to prep and hang posters, etc. But I don't think anything goes on beyond announcement day.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Heartily disagree. I was using a Treo 700p on Sprint when the original iPhone launched. Up to that point I was on Sprint for the past 7 years and had zero issues with them. But-for the iPhone I'd still be with them. I do not hold anything against Sprint, but it was well worth jumping to ATT for the iPhone. I have no regrets.

To each their own. The lack of MMS and any kind of document editing was the deal breaker for most. For me the list goes on and on. The first iPhone was a featureless brick compared to the Treo 600 let alone the 700w or 750p.

Apple hit the right marks when they gave the iPhone what 90% of the masses wanted, a nice phone with full web browsing, and iPod, and email that could make calls most of the time.

But the Treo was a heavy lifter until the iPhone 3GS

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I don't think everyone is forgetting, I just think that they don't really care. I don't see a problem with Apple producing a 10th anniversary iPod or something, as I am sure some people would buy it. But, I think most users, me included, have moved beyond the iPod as a standalone device. My iPhone has iPod functionality, so I have no use for another device.

For me to go back to an iPod it would have to at least have Bluetooth. Being able to resume my music in my car where I left off without even taking my phone out of my pocket is just too convenient.

Also, Wifi would be nice so you could do a wireless sync...But even still I don't think I would buy a classic.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
For me to go back to an iPod it would have to at least have Bluetooth. Being able to resume my music in my car where I left off without even taking my phone out of my pocket is just too convenient.

Also, Wifi would be nice so you could do a wireless sync...But even still I don't think I would buy a classic.
The ipod touch has Bluetooth.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

Apple could hold it at their campus too if they wanted, but there's less room for press there.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
To each their own. The lack of MMS and any kind of document editing was the deal breaker for most. For me the list goes on and on. The first iPhone was a featureless brick compared to the Treo 600 let alone the 700w or 750p.

Apple hit the right marks when they gave the iPhone what 90% of the masses wanted, a nice phone with full web browsing, and iPod, and email that could make calls most of the time.

But the Treo was a heavy lifter until the iPhone 3GS

Yes, but you totally missed OP's point that I was responding to. OP was definitive in that NO phone was worth switching carriers. The argument wasn't over the phone, but the carrier.

I agree "to each his own," but OP did not, and that was the bone I had to pick. It was a difficult decision for me to dump my Treo 700p for the original iPhone b/c the Treo did have more functionality, but once I made that decision the fact I had to switch carriers was never a factor.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
cool story but my first iPhone 4 had that problem. I ordered it new when it came out last summer. Im currently on my second one i got back in March, and guess what, it has the same issue.

I love my iPhone 4 but to answer your question, yes my 3GS had better reception. It could actually complete a call no matter how I held it.
YAY!
My iPhone 4 has only quit Skype calls for me so far (but then I probably had only a total of a handful of dropped non-Skype calls in the last ten years with any kind of phone).

thommie

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Let's see what they will have to say.

I am a bit skeptical for the iPhone 5 - i think it is just going to be another iPhone 4GS.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yes, but you totally missed OP's point that I was responding to. OP was definitive in that NO phone was worth switching carriers. The argument wasn't over the phone, but the carrier.

I agree "to each his own," but OP did not, and that was the bone I had to pick. It was a difficult decision for me to dump my Treo 700p for the original iPhone b/c the Treo did have more functionality, but once I made that decision the fact I had to switch carriers was never a factor.

True true and good call. I should have looked at my own wording. The only reason I've stayed with Sprint so long was actually the iPhone being the best, but the less featured device on the market. I've only started playing with the idea now because the iPhone has caught up and in many cases (esp. in apps) surpassed the market. Switching carriers is really left up to deciding how much one is willing to pay.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
First of all, it wouldn't be at Moscone. Apple only rents that facility for WWDC.

The media events are just one day, with a 1.5-2 hour stage presentation. However, they require 2-3 days of setup and the day after to teardown. They couldn't just book the Yerba Buena theatre for one day.

When they do a Tuesday event at Yerba Buena, there's activity the Friday before: event contractors (e.g., A/V), wireless access points, etc. They don't just show up on Monday morning and slap everything together. My guess is they set up Friday and Saturday, take Sunday off, then do a dry run sometime on Monday.

If Apple uses the town hall facility on their campus, all that activity is cloaked from the general public. As someone else mentioned, it's a smaller venue so fewer invitations would go out; the B-Listers would be shut out.

They want a decent sized venue for the iPhone announcement. After all, the iPhone is their cash cow, they want maximum coverage.

Last edited:

bfresh

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2007
Austin, TX
You should be smarter than that. Apple will kill it off just because it can. Remember, hard drives are older than cd's. Apple will force you to the cloud like it or not.

Ugh! I am afraid this will be the case. This might help in their attempt to lower the amount of people who "borrow" music.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Talking about upgrades, I'm going from the i4 to the new 5...while my father goes from the Razr to the i4 :eek:

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
I'm guessing they'll ditch the shuffle in favor of a cheaper nano. They'll also update the classic to make it thinner with higher capacity. (or maybe just ditch that one too). Who knows? we'll see...

ChipmunkTX

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Wishing for...

Not that it will happen, but I'd like to see the iPod Classic with Airplay. Many of my friends (myself included) own an ATV2, and when we hang out we mostly listen to music. To be able to have the classic with ALL my music (Which does fill up the classic) and just easily bring it to whatever friend's place and easily stream it! At least with the "cloud" I will have access to it...but still a pain to download it first.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I bet they'll call it 'iPhone 4G' and not 'iPhone 5'
I bet Steve will walk onto the stage and announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

Because it's simple. How much does Steve care about simplicity?

Who at Apple do you think decides the product naming convention, the marketing message?

If you don't know the answers to those questions, you fundamentally do not understand Apple and the person who leads the company.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I use a 3GS but my boyfriend uses a 4 on AT&T in Upstate NY - No antenna issues or dropped calls. Several of my friends have the 4 as well on AT&T and have no issues. It's regional.

Down in the dfw metroplex, ATT seems superb when it comes to service. It's probably why literally everyone here has an iPhone. Literally...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.