Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saqibhasan

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2007
I've got an iPad 3 as well and I still love it--so I think your concern has nothing to do at all with Apple's competitiveness and everything to do with your emotional need to have the latest model. Releasing new options and new models more frequently is not going to be the beginning of the end--its what Apple needs to do. I don't know if you remember how hot laptops used to be but Apple used to update those very frequently also -- sometimes just a few months after a previous update. That was due to very aggressive competition.

Now, that same environment exists in the mobile device industry so the same pattern is necessary.

Um no. Laptops had yearly upgrades. Not every few months.

It just seems that this is the same way they went downhill back pre iPod days. Too many choices, nothing wildly outstanding.

To quote battlestar galactica, this has happened before, and will happen again.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I would have hoped prices would com down with a new 128Gb but hey this is Apple. They might come down in the next gen mid year or earlier, I think I'll wait for that.

It is a little unusual to have such a spec change mid cycle, maybe market pressure called for a bigger capacity iPad now and not in June?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Because you only support those crazy speed for a few micro second if ever. If you have ever work on a hardware project, you would have known that spec and real life component are entirely two different world. The architecture tell us the upper limit of each piece of components and how they connect together. And each implementation of the architecture depend on the hardware components that are available and how much money one want to spend in the device. Your assertion of connecting the flash through USB don't make any sense. The USB controller connect to the peripheral bridge. I don't think you have any idea how slow the peripheral bridge is when it compare to the memory controller. The bridge has to resolve all the conflict between multiple nodes on the bus and everyone else will have to wait when one component has access to memory or the processor. If the USB controller can get 1/10 of the memory bus access speed, the hardware designer is already doing a really good job.

Good luck in finding anything more specific about how Apple implement their A6-A7 processor. If they want to disclose any information, it will be in one of those advance computer architecture conference or technical journal.
Hellhammer addressed my questions. Thanks for the input. Take a look at their posts. They're informative and enjoyable. Maybe a +1 too.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Hell, I've been waiting for NEXT doubling since iPad 1. When it first came out, I thought, "it needs a web cam (iPad 2), higher res (iPad 3 - call it what you will) and at least 250GB storage."

And now that Digital Copy has started going 1080P, I might now want 500GB...

And now that some movies are in 4K Ultra HD I think I now want a 4TB iPad:p

128GB its a lot of space unless you have a big music library and want to carry it with you all the time or you just want to put the maximum number of HD movies in it at the same time.

It just seems that this is the same way they went downhill back pre iPod days. Too many choices, nothing wildly outstanding.

You say they have too many choices and other people claim they have too few,its a no-win situation,if they released it its because they believe they'll make good money out of it.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I can't wait for the analysts to complain about the high price after just complaining about smaller margins. Can't win!

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
A lot of straw man arguments here....

Spoken like a true Apple fan.

It reminds me of the old days of G4/G5 vs. Intel CPUs. "Mhz doesn't matter", etc. Intel was only "inferior" until Apple announced the switch. Then, Intel was superior almost overnight. Did the G5 change? Did Intel suddenly change?

Intel did suddenly change, actually. The Core Duo was intel's first dual-core mobile processor and represented a significant leap over the G4, and Apple's systems were among the first (if not THE first) systems you could buy that had the new processor.
Up until then, customers had long been wanting a G5 powerbook, because the G4 was getting to be slow. So you won't find any examples of people saying the G4 was superior to Intel's chips at the time, or even that the G5 was superior.

No... Apple decided to flip flop on the long-standing argument that the G-series was superior to Intel.

For earlier iterations (G3 vs. Intel Pentium 2) this was actually true.

Or when :apple:TV was capped at 720p. "I can't see the <1080p> difference", "until national bandwidth is expanded...", the chart, "crash the whole internet", etc until Apple rolled out 1080p and then all that evaporated overnight.

What people were saying is that 1080p wouldn't be of much use yet since most of the content would be delivered at 720p anyway. ATV2 are still in higher demand since they can be jailbroken while there's still no jailbreak for the ATV3 yet (though there's a rumor that it might come out this weekend). If you an ATV2, there's still no really compelling reason to upgrade to an ATV3, unless you gotta have 1080p.

Or when iPad 1 launched without a front-facing camera. "Why would anyone want that?", "how could I possibly hold it stable enough for Skype?", "who wants to be looking up my nose when I talk to them?", "it would be stupid to want an isight camera in an iPad", etc.

Actually, most people lamented the lack of a camera.... here, take a trip in the wayback machine:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/855039/

"so disappointed - no camera, and no thrills you do not get from an iPhone."
"Lack of a camera is worse, and will likely make me hold off."
(and a few more, just on the first page)

Where are these comments you're referring to?

Then, Apple rolls out iPad 2 with "facetime" and we gush, "shut up and take my money", "I'm already in line", "credit card is ready", etc.

I think the general response among apple fans was "FINALLY, a camera."

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

How old are you? Yes, laptops used to get updates twice a year most years. Now, they get yearly updates or sometimes longer.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
128 iPad

:eek:Since when did Apple become Highway Robbers? The price tag on the extra storage vs the actual cost of the storage is certainly highway robbery. ARe they that desperate to overtake Exxon Mobil? :mad:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
$929 is getting awfully close to their base price for a Macbook Pro. I'd rather have an option for a touch-screen surface on the Macbook Pro with a flip-around keyboard to make a combination notebook and tablet than pay so much for JUST a tablet with limited software options.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Actually, most people lamented the lack of a camera.... here, take a trip in the wayback machine:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/855039/

"so disappointed - no camera, and no thrills you do not get from an iPhone."
"Lack of a camera is worse, and will likely make me hold off."
(and a few more, just on the first page)

Where are these comments you're referring to?

I think the general response among apple fans was "FINALLY, a camera."

Go read the links I posted. At first - a lot of people (iPad 1) stated a camera wasn't necc. How could it possible be used, too unwieldy as a device, would look ridiculous, etc. Then the iPad 2 had a camera and many people were like "duh- as it should have all along"

The OP you are quoting is spot on. If you think otherwise - perhaps you weren't around when the debate was going on.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I know this has probably been asked and answered but man, Going through 400 posts to find it is hard.

Doesn't it seem that in order to put 128GB in this Apple will be changing the innards around a bit ?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I know this has probably been asked and answered but man, Going through 400 posts to find it is hard.

Doesn't it seem that in order to put 128GB in this Apple will be changing the innards around a bit ?

Ifixit will show us the day its out; I would think that that chip these days are able to put double capacity in same volume.
So hope is: no physical change which would allow 128GB also in a space-limited iPhone keeping the same battery.
I guess in two weeks we know for sure.

Last edited:

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
$929 is getting awfully close to their base price for a Macbook Pro. I'd rather have an option for a touch-screen surface on the Macbook Pro with a flip-around keyboard to make a combination notebook and tablet than pay so much for JUST a tablet with limited software options.

Just how much do you think Apple would charge for your fantasy product? You might as well say "I'd rather have an aircraft carrier" if you're going to ignore what these things cost.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Go read the links I posted. At first - a lot of people (iPad 1) stated a camera wasn't necc. How could it possible be used, too unwieldy as a device, would look ridiculous, etc. Then the iPad 2 had a camera and many people were like "duh- as it should have all along"

The OP you are quoting is spot on. If you think otherwise - perhaps you weren't around when the debate was going on.

Ehh you do realise this forum has multiple thousands of people on it right, I mean the people (100's) who feel that the camera isn't necc are different than the people (100's) who feel it should have been all along, who would be different than those (100's) who outright said its stupid, and are totally aside from the folks (100's) who prayed to apple for it.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Apple is going to drop the 16GB model and offer the 32GB for $499 in the fall and make a huge deal out of it for the 5th-gen. Its all in the master plan folks. This is just solidifying the full size iPad as a laptop replacement and the mini will retain the 16GB model.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Ehh you do realise this forum has multiple thousands of people on it right, I mean the people (100's) who feel that the camera isn't necc are different than the people (100's) who feel it should have been all along, who would be different than those (100's) who outright said its stupid, and are totally aside from the folks (100's) who prayed to apple for it.

If you follow the thread conversation here - you'll note we're only pointing out the flip/flopping of members of this forum in general. It wasn't a general statement about all of the users here.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
now mine plan is verkingk

Soon all the 16 GB iPads will ALL BE MINE ha haha HAHAh hAHAHHAHhhahhh. Seriously though I could use another 6 for midi controllers. and 16 BG iPads are awesome for that.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
If you follow the thread conversation here - you'll note we're only pointing out the flip/flopping of members of this forum in general. It wasn't a general statement about all of the users here.

Then you should be able to provide names of specific posters who flip-flopped, or quote their actual posts.

But of course, anybody who trots out the argument 'Some Apple fans hate it until Apple makes it and then they say it's the best thing ever' will never actually back it up.

If it was so prevalent they could find dozens of such posts. I've never seen even one example from the people who shovel this argument day in and day out.

EDIT: I expect the people who do this for a living will soon get some sockpuppets to start some blatant flip-flopping, since nobody else on the forum is actually doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.