Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Inquisitr claims that some Apple retailers have already been given price lists for Apple's upcoming laptops and that there are 12 price points ranging from $800 to $3100. Current laptops are said to have only have 8 retail price points: 3 Macbooks (starting at $1099), 3 Macbook Pros and 2 Macbook Airs.

There has been speculation that Apple could be dropping prices their MacBooks ahead of an economic downturn, though analysts predicted the drop would only go as far as $999 (from $1099). An $800 MacBook would represent a $300 drop from the current low-end.

While The Inquisitr has no prior track record with Apple rumors, the owner of the site and author of the report is a relatively established blogger. One potential cause for doubt is that their source claims that "retail outlets usually get the price lists 10 days before products hit the market" which is not typical. Historically, price lists have appeared as early as a few days ahead of launch. The longest lead time in recent memory was about four days prior to a Monday iMac launch.

As a result, it's feasible that (assuming this is true) these rumored product lists could foretell of announcements as early as next week. If so, then we'll likely hear further confirmation from other retail sources shortly.

Article Link

dainiookas

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I doubt this pricing... although it would be very good for me, because I'm planning to grab as soon as it arrives

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Hmmn. Might have to replace ageing 1st gen white Macbook (32 bit processor) with Pro of some description. Could do with a better screen/graphics/case/etc/ etc.

And cheaper than Pros were, when I could only afford the Macbook, too, I hope

dambro1978

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
I just need a MBA with 2 USB ports, at least a 5400rpm HD and a standard Core2duo .
Really hoping for next tuesday.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Excuse my ignorance but how are people expecting the MBPs to be cheaper when top of the line MBP now costs $2800 and the most expensive one will now cost $3100?

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Just hope it's not an $800 netbook. Despite the impulse-buy popularity of netbooks, I just don't see Apple playing this market; Apple's always been a trend STARTER, not follower. But I have seen crazier things and wouldn't be opposed to a netbook at all (although at $500, not 800)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Oh, the suspense of all this is killing me!

I need to know now, Apple. Please.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Apple's trying to get a slice of the $100 laptop per child hahaha.... still have to cut back almost $700! ;)

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Excuse my ignorance but how are people expecting the MBPs to be cheaper when top of the line MBP now costs $2800 and the most expensive one will now cost $3100?

Because there may be an amazing new hope that Apple might be installing BluRay on their new systems, which would easy create a new price cap.

I really could care less about this notebook crap. I already have a new MacBookPro, along with a 2008 Mac Pro...and I love them both. But what I really care about: is to replace my G4 mini sitting in front of my HDTV with a brand new Mac Mini. It would be awesome if Apple is putting BluRay in their new units...AND if the update the mini. Talk about a killer unit!

Fingers are still crossed.

iCantwait

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
that should make my proposed set up cheaper

Attachments

• mb spec.jpg
    mb spec.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 207

djens

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
waait

I just sold my MPB (3500$) so I have alot of money to spend:D
But I doubt they will be released as sonn as the 14th. I think most Apple fanatics is just blinded by hope or something... But i am crossing my fingers myself though:p
I live in Norway, therefore the prices. Btw a fully upgraded 17 incher costs almost 5000 USD here... :/

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Question regarding Blu-Ray, my understanding was that software wise Macs wouldn't be able to support it till Snow Leopard is released, does this mean that if the new MBPs did come with a Blu-Ray drive they wouldn't be able to use it to it's full potential until Jan?

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
Question regarding Blu-Ray, my understanding was that software wise Macs wouldn't be able to support it till Snow Leopard is released, does this mean that if the new MBPs did come with a Blu-Ray drive they wouldn't be able to use it to it's full potential until Jan?

Possibly.

It could also be possible that Apple's next revision of OSX will contain support for BluRay, along with pronouncing a date for the new revision release. I don't think there is any evidence that 10.6 is the "beginning" of BluRay support, we just know that it does support it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.