Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameskatt

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Ahead of Apple's Chinese launch of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus later this week, Apple today confirmed the launch of its new handset models in 36 additional countries and territories by the end of October. In its fastest rollout ever, Apple expects to launch the iPhone in 115 countries by the end of the year.

The next round of launches coming this month will include countries in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Latin America. Apple has been busy with new products this fall in a product lineup that has been described by Eddy Cue as being "the best product pipeline that I've seen in my 25 years at Apple." Apple already announced the new iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and the Apple watch at a press event held last month. An upcoming October event is expected to unveil new iPad models, new iMacs and possibly new Mac minis.

Article Link: Apple to Launch iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in 36 Additional Countries During October

Hee Haw!

China will probably sell 10 million iPhones on opening day weekend by itself!

The iPhone 6 and 6 PLUS are the MOTHER of all upgrades.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
I'm not certain if most people get the point or not.
32Gb is by no means free when you're purchasing a 64Gb version.
If the initial model was 32Gb itself, which is long overdue anyway most need not pay the extra 100$ for the 64Gb. :(

To the one saying 16Gb is enough, you're using cloud storage. You really think every country has unlimited data plans? Also good luck with OTA updates with 5Gb of what you have left. :rolleyes:
Completely agree on both points.
Selling (16,64,128) rather than (32,64,128) pushes more people to the middle price. For many/most user 32GB is the sweet spot, so Apple is pushing people to 64GB. Flash memory is cheap, the $100 Apple charges to go from one tier to the next is mostly pure profit for them. For the Nexus line of Phones/Tablets Google changes $50 to go from one tier to the next.

More generally, the iPhone 6 is very high end, expensive, smartphone, that consumers should expect to last for years, there should not be a 16GB model. The OS uses ~2GB so that is 14GB for the user, the iOS8 over the air update was ~5GB, I assume that next year iOS9 will be a similar size. User will need to reduce their usage of their iPhone down to 9GB.
The fact that Apple still sell an 8GB iPhone ...
In both cases, Apple is putting profit above user experience.

On unlimited data plans, they are great if you have them. Apple is a US company that sell to the world, they need to be careful not to be too US centric in their products. The US mobile market is more highly subsidized than the rest of the world. Assuming that users have a continuous, fast, unlimited data and a PC at home to connect their iPhone to, are both dangerous assumptions.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Completely agree on both points.
Selling (16,64,128) rather than (32,64,128) pushes more people to the middle price. For many/most user 32GB is the sweet spot, so Apple is pushing people to 64GB. Flash memory is cheap, the $100 Apple charges to go from one tier to the next is mostly pure profit for them. For the Nexus line of Phones/Tablets Google changes $50 to go from one tier to the next.

More generally, the iPhone 6 is very high end, expensive, smartphone, that consumers should expect to last for years, there should not be a 16GB model. The OS uses ~2GB so that is 14GB for the user, the iOS8 over the air update was ~5GB, I assume that next year iOS9 will be a similar size. User will need to reduce their usage of their iPhone down to 9GB.
The fact that Apple still sell an 8GB iPhone ...
In both cases, Apple is putting profit above user experience.

On unlimited data plans, they are great if you have them. Apple is a US company that sell to the world, they need to be careful not to be too US centric in their products. The US mobile market is more highly subsidized than the rest of the world. Assuming that users have a continuous, fast, unlimited data and a PC at home to connect their iPhone to, are both dangerous assumptions.

Finally someone who get's me right up to the point.
I got bashed in a lot for saying the obvious, I'm just highly curious how is it that Apple managed to gather such a crazy following. I mean people here, the consumers are simply saying it off as it's a business and by no means a charity.
For ****s sake, when did we consumers started taking **** from corporations rather than making them bend to our will. Lol bend, pun intended.

Unfortunately people from developing countries don't get any subsidised rates, they literally pay the full price upfront and when it's gonna cost even more for the upgrade, I have a feeling a limited 16Gb would be the high seller there.
Thinking to get something more from Apple, is a regret in the making.

Cheers mate.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I guess when you let them fly off the assembly line full of bugs its easy to get millions out....

Apple needs to focus on quality not quantity, Glad I still held onto my 5s...

maybe they will get it right with the iphone 6s ???

Nah, if they did, they would be a hundred millions of angry people still awaiting their phones. I think Apple get it right, not to let any bugs out yet at the same time not to release to all countries at the same time.

----------

I'm still waiting for mine in the mail. Jesus. Why don't they make enough for everyone in the US first... or maybe that's part of the hype machine. They're creating demand by pretending to limit supply.

Quality vs quantity. It's not easy to let a millions out if you don't want any bugs escape.

HD303

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
Observatory Park
Is apple really this stupid?

For a company on the edge of marketing and product, how the hell can they misjudge the demand for the 6 plus?

And how are they going to fulfill all these additional orders outside of the US when they can't deliver in the US? (referring to the 6 plus of course).

MacGeek1987

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
New Hampshire, USA
Rather than deleting things you should encourage your friends to update using iTunes. It's simple and you don't have to delete things.

Or just attach it to your computer and update thru iTunes. No need to delete anything, more reliable and faster. Who's fault is that that "people" don't know a thing about their devices?:)

Not everyone connects with iTunes anymore. I do, but I know many people with iPhones and iPads and no computer or they have one, but don't connect their device to it. Remember the "PC Free" push with iOS 5?

Attachments

• apple-pc-free-forstall-small.jpg
    apple-pc-free-forstall-small.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 290

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When are they gonna release it in the US? Lol, still waiting for my 6+ 128gb

Not sure; the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus I ordered three weeks ago has yet to ship (in the US), yet I was able to scheduled a pick up for two release day 128GB iPhone 6 Plus here in China. Go figure.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
It seems like I'm gonna have to wait until the next iPhone come sout, til i can get my 6. The demand over this phone is so crazy! :( I doubt apple will be able to keep up although I know they are trying.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Not everyone connects with iTunes anymore. I do, but I know many people with iPhones and iPads and no computer or they have one, but don't connect their device to it. Remember the "PC Free" push with iOS 5?

I know most people don't use iTunes for updating their iPhones anymore but I told many of my friends to do that because of the massive ios8 update

Last edited:

almirramic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Good bye iPhone

Let it be known, I am dropping iPhone and going for an Android device that will give me normal battery life. I've waited for Apple to finally get to their senses and improve this (not incrementally) but I really lost my patience. Wherever I am, whatever I do, the first thing I check when I check my iPhone is the battery -- before mail, before Facebook, before anything else. And if I forget to plug it in when I go to bed, I am doomed in the morning. Samsung is totally right, I am a wall-hugger. Or I was, until today...

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Best product pipeline in 25 years? I'll believe it when I see it.

----------

Let it be known, I am dropping iPhone and going for an Android device that will give me normal battery life. I've waited for Apple to finally get to their senses and improve this (not incrementally) but I really lost my patience. Wherever I am, whatever I do, the first thing I check when I check my iPhone is the battery -- before mail, before Facebook, before anything else. And if I forget to plug it in when I go to bed, I am doomed in the morning. Samsung is totally right, I am a wall-hugger. Or I was, until today...

Whatever works for you I guess.

I didn't charge mine last night yet I'm down to about 40% now. That's from about 70%. I guess apps in the background can't be helping?

MDanihy

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
iPhone 6s

By the time they get stock for the 6+ in the US, I might as well wait for the 6s+ in 2015.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
What are you even saying? I made my comment because some people are trying to justify the price. Just because it is relatively cheaper doesn't mean that it is a good deal. Smartphones are overpriced in general, whether it is Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, or LG, and the list goes on. Apple is the only company that charges extra for more storage. So whatever, I am willing to pay it, but it is still price gouging, and I personally disagree with everyone who is defending Apple's pricing. I don't care if Apple provides a 256GB version, or even a 64GB version, I was just hoping that a 32GB option would be offered for 650$. It is a frusturating dilemma that is essentially exclusive to iPhones.

I am a huge Apple schill, and I spend too much time preaching the Apple gospel, but I can still admit that the reason why Apple has such great profit margins is because they make perfect products with mediocre hardware (at least for the most part). They make an OS that runs beautifully on less than cutting edge hardware, and I am perfectly fine with that. Just don't claim that it is a good deal, because it is not in any way.

Amen!

Funny how these consumers side with a corporation in their thinking.

Unbelievable.

Next they are going to say, Uncle Sam, please tax me more on my income!

Kourage2

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2014
Things im disappointed in the new iphone that i wanted on the phone.

Camera. 8Mp since the iphone 4s. It should be on 13mp.

5 Row apps.

Better Battery

Apple Beats Earpods.

Thicker Charging Cords

MayhemMechanix

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Cue the racist xenophobic and business-stupid complaints about Apple starting to sell in other counties before meeting the demand of every white person who wants a phone first.

----------

Aaaaaand there it is

Didn't see anything racist about scalpers. Look on Ebay... folks selling iPhone 6 and 6 plus models including the pink and white unicorn that is known as the 128 GB Space Gray for 3-4 times the retail price. Scalpers is just that scalpers, race, ethnicity, nationality didn't come into it.

MayhemMechanix

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Agreed, but the way apps are increasing in size and the data stored on the devices now, it really seems that even the average user will run out of space to do upgrades when i0S 9 comes out next year. Especially with the iPads, where the 16g model is just way too small now.

You know how nature abhors a vacuum? I'm a developer. Operating systems and apps abhor empty drive space.

MayhemMechanix

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I filled my 6 with office apps (keynote, pages, numbers), Microsoft mobile, business apps and GPS apps and some games and still have 40% of 16 GB empty.

This is a case of your mileage may vary.

I currently have an 8GB iPhone 4s... it is constantly maxed out.

I also have a 160GB iPod Classic that is on its last legs. This was actually the main reason why I went with a 128GB capacity.

16GB may be more than plenty for some, many even, there are others to consider. I see a lot of DJs that carry their whole library on tablets, mp3 players and cell phones. Why? Because some people don't want to haul around a huge vinyl or CD collection to every gig. Some don't want to carry a laptop and a large external drive. Me personally, I like having a huge selection of audiobooks and music stored on the device. I've got a better chance of having what I want to listen to or watch when I'm on long driving trips, AND I get the added bonus of having something my picky creature from the teenage lagoon will want to hear.

As for iCloud... Not this little black duck! Does anyone honestly think the only iCloud accounts being hacked are those of celebrities so folks can post their nude pics online? I even download my iTunes store purchases to my phone simply because playing from the cloud in my rural part of Texas is iffy at best. Heaven forbid I'm on one of my long cross country trips and I drive into a no coverage area... you know, those places where coyotes and prairie dogs don't have a need to access the iCloud.

MayhemMechanix

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Things im disappointed in the new iphone that i wanted on the phone.

Camera. 8Mp since the iphone 4s. It should be on 13mp.

5 Row apps.

Better Battery

Apple Beats Earpods.

Thicker Charging Cords

I kept my 4s, never upgraded to a 5, so here's my hope for my 6+ when it finally arrives...

... It doesn't overheat to the point of shutting itself off when you use any map or traffic app for more than 3 minutes!

----------

Got my iPhone 6 Plus - Space Gray 128 GB at midnight in Mumbai, India..........!!

congrats. I hope everyone else in these later release countries gets their preorders fulfilled in a timely manner.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
where did you go to school mate?

Beg your pardon, you are right. Mexico. I missed that one. :/

----------

Is Mexico not a Latin American Country?

Glad it's finally coming there!

You are right. I missed that one. Anyway, as Mexico is frequently referred to as the "52nd State", perhaps I WAS right after all. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.