Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is asking suppliers to assemble a record-breaking 85 to 90 million units of its next-generation iPhone models combined by year-end, according to The Wall Street Journal. That order tops the reported 70 to 80 million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus units that Apple ordered during its initial production run last year.

iphone6-stock-photo.jpg

The report reiterates rumors that the so-called "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" will feature both Force Touch, which can distinguish between a light tap and deep press, and a new color option, likely rose gold or pink. Foxconn and Pegatron are expected to be the main suppliers of the next-generation iPhones, while Apple may elect to use a third assembler Wistron to help fulfill the record-breaking number of orders.

The next-generation iPhones will reportedly enter mass-production starting next month and are expected to retain the same 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes and current display resolutions. The "iPhone 6s" and "iPhone 6s Plus" are widely expected to be announced in September with a focus on non-cosmetic improvements such as an A9 processor with 2GB of RAM, Force Touch, faster Qualcomm LTE chip and improved 12-megapixel rear-facing camera.

Article Link: Apple to Order Record-Breaking 85-90 Million Force Touch-Equipped 'iPhone 6s' Models

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Surely 'Plan to order' is merely a forecast prediction .... and one that can dynamically change up and down.

It doesn't mean they will order that many.

Just like how I plan to eat dinner at 6pm but it might be 5 or 7.... It's an ambiguous statement that carries little weight.

Basically its jus another not really ground breaking news item that doesn't count for anything until actual sales number for the first quarter of the 6S/6+S are revealed.

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Skipping 6S... Force Touch is not enough to upgrade anymore (along with speed bump that I can't feel, and camera upgrades that I can't tell a difference).

Bring on 2x the battery life, water proofing, better material... maybe I'll consider.
The s upgrades never really make sense of you bought the previous generation (or don't care about the money, or just love new toys...). But they're great, refined products for those upgrading from a 5s or earlier.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Damn, Apple isn't playing this time around! Lol. They are trying to make people forget about the Apple Watch shortages. PLEASE don't mess up the iPhone sales over shortages!

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Skipping 6S... Force Touch is not enough to upgrade anymore (along with speed bump that I can't feel, and camera upgrades that I can't tell a difference).

Bring on 2x the battery life, water proofing, better material... maybe I'll consider.
OR... you could wait for the phone to actually be announced instead of making assumptions that these rumors will be in the phone at all and that other things won't be added.

Reactions: Keane16

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Oh! To be a gullible drone! Their numbers are increasing so perhaps I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps not... :)

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Well not a surprise. Projected next iPhone to increase in sales by 10 to 15% seems a modest goal. There is still plenty of room left in this market (the market being everyone in the world who can afford a high end smartphone). I will be upgrading my 6 and handing it down to Mom or other family member.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.