Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Hey, i'm poor - i'll take the $40.

I kept my Unlimited for a decent amount of time, it was my only internet for awhile even. I had no choice but to cancel it - and no, I didn't sell it. Drat.

I'd like to upgrade my iPad, I just don't know if I'm going to do a 4G one or not, will depend on the pricing at the time of purchase. I'm back to spending 5-6 hours a week sitting waiting for kids.....

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
I'd like to upgrade my iPad, I just don't know if I'm going to do a 4G one or not, will depend on the pricing at the time of purchase. I'm back to spending 5-6 hours a week sitting waiting for kids.....

I wouldn't expect the pricing on the next generation iPad to be any different than they are now.

$499 base, $100 memory upgrades, $129 to add cellular.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm sorry. This should ALL be on AT&T. They're the ones who pulled the rug out from everyone after the fact. Typical scumbag AT&T antics. Glad they'll never get another dime of my money.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Apologies for my confusion here, but is my understanding correct here? Does EVERYONE who bought the iPad 3G before the specified date get the $40, and you only get the discount on the data plan if you don't have another data plan with AT&T? The wording seems a little confusing.

Also - will the checks go out automatically, even if you never signed up or registered for the class action lawsuit?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I wouldn't expect the pricing on the next generation iPad to be any different than they are now.

$499 base, $100 memory upgrades, $129 to add cellular.

I fully expect that.... but still hope that the competition has help with a shift down a bit. We will see... I probably won't be doing it until after Christmas anyway.

LucidX

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
About time. But why is Apple liable? They don't set pricing, and jobs seemed to want unlimited data for it (isn't that the point?)

They did for music and books.

----------

Apologies for my confusion here, but is my understanding correct here? Does EVERYONE who bought the iPad 3G before the specified date get the $40, and you only get the discount on the data plan if you don't have another data plan with AT&T? The wording seems a little confusing.

Also - will the checks go out automatically, even if you never signed up or registered for the class action lawsuit?

Class action settlements never go out automatically, you always have to register with the law firm representing the plaintiffs and prove your eligibility.

denno

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
where to file?

Does anyone know where to go to file a claim? I've been searching but can't find a link.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
That's idiotic. The purpose of a class action is not to return money to customers. You're not entitled to anything at all in a class action because you're not bearing any risk. You're not contributing to the costs, you're not doing any work on behalf of the class, and you're not even taking any steps to solve the problem.

Getting any money back directly is merely an incidental bonus of a cash settlement. The point of a class action is to force a corporation to change a tactic or impose a monetary cost for "bad" behavior. That might be a repair or replacement, a change in policy, or even just a promise not to do it again. When it's a monetary fine, it comes out of their profits, and it might be returned to customers in cash, in credit, or donated to a charity.

The lawyers spent millions of dollars to make that happen, and only get reimbursed when they win or settle. The money they make is separate from the settlement or judgment amount, and the profitable ones pay for the ones that they take and lose. If the company agrees to pay $5 million in costs and $40 million to the class and there are one million customers, then everyone gets $40. That means each person gets $5 less than they might have (assuming they would get anything at all without the lawyers intervening). Big deal. Giving up $5 of your $45 in exchange for zero risk and zero effort is more than a fair trade when the alternative is one million people each spending $500+ to get a smaller sum back.

If you don't like the arrangement, you're welcome to start your own class action and make your own deal with the lawyers as class representative. But if you're just going to sit around and wait for a check in the mail without lifting a finger, then you've got no right to complain. Opt out of the class and pursue your own solution.

You must be a lawyer? If not then you are somehow enamored of them. Why? I have no idea. As I said: The lawyers make millions while everyone else gets $40 and usually less than that. You're telling me with a bald face that the lawyers are doing it for the common justice of the downtrodden many? Seriously? You really believe your own hype I guess. There are a few decent and good lawyers around. Most are looking for any gravy train they can hijack. For you to try and make it sound noble is pathetic. If you're not a lawyer you should become one. You would fit in very well with that gang of thugs.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I purchased the iPad with the unlimited data plan. I've never discontinued it. I keep the $29.99 going each month. I have moved that Unlimited Plan onto my iPad (3rd Generation). I've never been throttled by AT&T. We are heavy users. My 11-year-old and her 5-year-old sister watch Netflix, Disney Jr, etc. I have no doubt that we exceed 5G each month. We love the plan and hope that this lawsuit doesn't cause it to end.

I do understand why people are upset. The promise from AT&T and Apple was that it would be an Unlimited Plan for $30 per month. It wasn't limited to a time period, there was no threat of throttling if you used too much.

My 11-year-old has the $25 AT&T limited plan on her iPhone 4S and I have the Unlimited Plan on my iPhone 5S (grandfathered). I do know that my iPhone gets throttled if I use it too much but I rarely make it to those limits on the iPhone.

Will I get anything in the suit? Does $40 change my satisfaction with my iDevices? Not hardly.

southbark

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Any news

Any news about how to sign up to get your discounted service for ipad through the settlement.

southbark

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
If anyone is interested the 3G settlement was approved on 3-14-2014

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/03/14/66168.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.