Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Apple should buy cbs, jet to get Star Trek and keep it from sucking.

...then buy Disney, and restore the original Star Wars trilogy to the Library of Congress.

...then take Star Trek, and open a time rift and JJ Abrams can make Capn Kirk become a Sith lord and Luke Skywalkers daughters neighbor can fight him in a volcano.

Because it's only a matter of time.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
People should stop watching so much TV and get out in the real world and interact with other human beings.

jujufreeze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2016
Why not take Netflix? If they own Netflix, they'll own Roku. They both share the same building in Northern Cali. And Roku has the largest amount of development for streaming services. They'd monopolize that while taking out Amazon and Google at the same time in the streaming service market.

monopolizing anything is bad for the consumer, even as an Apple fan.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't know the numbers but I don't see how this original content makes money. A yearly subscription to Netflix is $120. The Sopranos Boxset currently is priced at $134.

So making your own original content and give it away with a yearly $120 subscription along with hundreds of other shows doesn't sound profitable. Netflix is already making a mere $122m in profit yet they are producing something like 15 original shows.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i guess if its "Good" content, then it *may be* woth it... But Apple is still supplying us with a bundle.... THat's what we wanna get away from.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Netflix, amazon, and others try to be universal. They target the mainstream at mainstream prices because that is their primary business. Apple's service would be limited to apple device owners, which is a small part of the market. And Apple likes to charge a premium. But what could they offer that would be worth a premium over the netflix's and amazons?

Good luck with that. I'd rather Apple focus on being who they are. Apple has recognized they just aren't good at certain things. iAds? Tim Cook recently spoke about networking and carriers and not being good enough at it. This is another. I'd throw out there the car talk is silly too but that seems to be the fad now.

I'd worry more about embracing 4k content (not original). An apple tv is a premium priced tv box. It sucks. The thunderbolt display? Embarrassing.
I doubt it. Just take Apple Music for example. It's multi platform. Android users have it too. I think with a service like this, it would be one of those halo effect things. Like people on android use it and are like "hey I like this apple product. I think I'll try one of their other products."

That's what Apple is going for with this. And it's probably going to be a pretty big deal
[doublepost=1464326817][/doublepost]
Everything Eddy Cue touches turns to crap. He runs Music, Maps and other services. They're all garbage.
He's the new Scott forestall. Would be interesting to see how different things would be if they got rid of him
[doublepost=1464326903][/doublepost]
i guess if its "Good" content, then it *may be* woth it... But Apple is still supplying us with a bundle.... THat's what we wanna get away from.
What if it's similar to Apple Music where ALL content on iTunes is available via subscription? Id buy that up in a second. That would get a lot of people to cancel every other streaming service right there. I wouldn't need Netflix if I could have everything on iTunes. Not sure how possible that would be though

bighype

macrumors regular
May 1, 2014
[doublepost=1464326817][/doublepost]
He's the new Scott forestall. Would be interesting to see how different things would be if they got rid of him

He's much, MUCH WORSE!!! Everything Cue runs is always 3 generations behind google's products.

Recently there was a story about AppStore approvals for apps being reduced to less than 24 hours. This was because management of AppStore was given to Phil Schiller and he decided to actually lift his fingers and do something.

I don't know if Cue is stupid, lazy or just doesn't care but EVERYTHING under his command is so bad.

FIRE CUE, TIM!

moxin

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
i mean we could have finally seen Batman and Iron Man working together

Konrad74

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Toronto, ON
at least they gave it a final season to wrap everything up unlike many other shows

True - it seems like it could go further, in many ways, but if they wrap it up well, then I'll be happy - not just a rush job. The title of the finale, Return 0, suggests things may end up OK, overall, for Team Machine.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
I can see it now...

Eddy: "Tim, I think we should buy Time Warner---we could do some great, innovative breakthroughs in technology if we do so."

Tim: "What, take a risk? Nah, we can't do that."

Well considering how Eddy's last major acquisition lead to a crappier experience in iTunes... if this was proposed to me I'd laugh in his face.

Reactions: American Hero

sarge

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Brooklyn
Yeah. I just tossed Disney out there for fun. I've followed the Disney company for a long time, and have drawn parallels and contrasts between Walt Disney and Steve Jobs (and what happened to both companies after their deaths) in a number of posts. The specifics of CEO match-ups are of course critical at the startup (again, look at the history of AOL/Time Warner), but hardly the only factors to consider. Overall corporate cultures... Some parts of Disney are far more compatible with Apple than any part of TW (theme parks and animation culture carry an imprint from Walt that is very consistent with Apple's imprint from Steve), but other parts of Disney are probably little different than TW - big media is big media, more or less.

Agreed. I follow the vagaries of the shifting media landscape with tepid curiosity but frankly I don't expect anything revolutionary to arise out of the ashes of old media. Now that MLB and NFL have their own distribution networks and the rest of the cable audience doesn't have to underwrite the viewing habits of sports fans you see ESPN taking a big hit turning Disney's former golden goose into an albatross of sorts.

As a consumer I like that I can tailor my viewing preferences but managing all these subscriptions is a total headache and ends up costing just as much if not more than cable - and still I'm not getting exactly what I want. I'm willing to bet that we'll never see a single streaming service offer all content on a single platform.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Apple should buy Yahoo, put the content especially Mail back the way it was before Marissa Mayer took over
They would also take over their Search Engine

flaw600

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Everything Eddy Cue touches turns to crap. He runs Music, Maps and other services. They're all garbage.
Are they? I don't really see how. They work plenty well enough for me, and I can't be the only one who thinks this way.
[doublepost=1464413747][/doublepost]
He's much, MUCH WORSE!!! Everything Cue runs is always 3 generations behind google's products.

Recently there was a story about AppStore approvals for apps being reduced to less than 24 hours. This was because management of AppStore was given to Phil Schiller and he decided to actually lift his fingers and do something.

I don't know if Cue is stupid, lazy or just doesn't care but EVERYTHING under his command is so bad.

FIRE CUE, TIM!
We don't know if that's a good thing. We don't want that at the expense of quality.
[doublepost=1464413786][/doublepost]
I suggest any type of activity or interactions vs sitting like a mindless blob watching TV in every spare moment.
And yet it isn't going to happen
[doublepost=1464413896][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1464326903][/doublepost]
What if it's similar to Apple Music where ALL content on iTunes is available via subscription? Id buy that up in a second. That would get a lot of people to cancel every other streaming service right there. I wouldn't need Netflix if I could have everything on iTunes. Not sure how possible that would be though
I'd love an iTunes subscription. I really would cancel everything else for that - as would tons of other people, I think
[doublepost=1464413962][/doublepost]
Well considering how Eddy's last major acquisition lead to a crappier experience in iTunes... if this was proposed to me I'd laugh in his face.
You mean Beats for Apple Music? That's now the #2 streaming service and growing quickly - clear others disagree
[doublepost=1464414044][/doublepost]
Apple should buy Yahoo, put the content especially Mail back the way it was before Marissa Mayer took over
They would also take over their Search Engine
I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. Why would Apple want Yahoo? Their businesses don't align /at all/ and even if Apple were to expand, this isn't the direction they seem to be interested in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.