Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Accrding to Telemundo (Spanish Channel), apple paid 2.2 million to show the1984 commercial near halftime. According to them. even showed the commercial.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
For this Superbowl, I assume?

This would be:

1) strange... as the 1984 commercial is a bit dated...

2) huge news... should be elsewhere.

arn

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
where do you find out who bought superbowl time... ive seen others mention it on this site... even just to see who did buy time even if its not apple...

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
they preshowed 2 commercials apple's and bud's sexy commercial. but idont think its reliable. they are always making stuff up. ex: 9/11 2airplanes hit the tower at the same time. god! oh, i mean bob:rolleyes:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
only thing i have found so far is that matrix 2 trailer will be playing during the superbowl.

iJon

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
Along with the Matrix Reloaded trailer should be the new Hulk trailer, the new X2 trailer, possibly a new Daredevil trailer and a Charlie's Angels 2 trailer. Oh, and a new Terminator 3 trailer.

Other than that, I haven't been able to find a list of advetisers other than the above for the Superbowl.

New commercial or not, I'm sure Apple will have quite a few commercials in there somewhere.

enoch

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by 000111one111000
New commercial or not, I'm sure Apple will have quite a few commercials in there somewhere.

enoch
are you kidding, a couple in there, at 2.2 million a piece. i think not. very cool though if they did, doubtful in my opinion.

iJon

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Spanish TV is not the most reliable source of information. They've been known to say tings without a proof of evidence. Trust me. It's not as bad as propaganda, it's just weird... Life on the edge, I guess.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Originally posted by G4scott
Spanish TV is not the most reliable source of information. They've been known to say tings without a proof of evidence. Trust me. It's not as bad as propaganda, it's just weird... Life on the edge, I guess.

Si muchacho! El chupacabras es de verdad! Yo lo vi en Telemundo. Todos los campesinos que entrevistaron dijeron que ellos lo vieron.

Latin TV is definetly not the source for exact info. Sorry. It's the truth.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Apple has to have one during the superbowl.

my pc friends died after seeing ads for the 12" and 17" powerbooks in various newspapers and magazines.

Can't wait to see their faces when they watch the superbowl!

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
El chupacabras es de verdad:D Especially local spanish news. oh well:rolleyes: what are you going to do about it?:cool: Especially telemudo and that fake as show, wannabe jerry springer laura

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Originally posted by applemacdude
El chupacabras es de verdad:D Especially local spanish news. oh well:rolleyes: what are you going to do about it?:cool: Especially telemudo and that fake as show, wannabe jerry springer laura

LOL!!!! That's right I forgot all those corny Jerry like shows! Man that's funny!
Anyhow- back to the topic. "1984" would be cool in 2003, but something needs to change to have an impact on this economy. Why run such an expensive ad that really does not sell much? It'll excite the mac community, but we're sold already.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
That's a bogus report. The only ads remaining are for the fourth quarter (if those aren't sold yet). There's no way they'd just now get the pre-halftime slot. We would have long ago heard about it.

Anyway, why would rerunning the 1984 ad do any good? It's a 20-year-old Mac. If anything, they would run a revised version with new models.

They won't do it this year, anyway. Makes more sense to do it next year, on the 20th anniversary--but it would be some sort of redo even than.

[Edit:] Also, see yesterday's Wall St. J. (marketplace Section), which lists the ads. No apple.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
übergeek : love your sig! hahaha!!

My gf is jealous of my dual 1.25 too....sometimes....

but then I take care of her :cool:

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
From the same website.

EDS is far from the only advertiser to abandon the Super Bowl. Just look at the list of the 10 greatest Super Bowl commercials of all time, as determined in last year's USA Today poll and presented in a special on Viacom's CBS.
Of the nine marketers on that list, seven -- Nike, Coca-Cola Co., Apple, Xerox Corp., E-Trade, Frito-Lay's Doritos and McDonald's Corp. -- either won't be advertising in-game during the upcoming Super Bowl or haven't advertised for years. Other marketers in previous Super Bowls that won't be seen in this year's 61 Super Bowl slots include MasterLock, Honda Motor Co., Microsoft Corp. and IBM Corp., among others. Most say taking a pass hasn't hurt them.

For those that are curious, these are the top ten ads.

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
Originally posted by G4scott

Seems that they are just like ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and FOX. In fact I think Telemundo (or is it Univision?) is owned by NBC. I guess TV news in general not a reliable source of information.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by yosoyjay

Seems that they are just like ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and FOX. In fact I think Telemundo (or is it Univision?) is owned by NBC. I guess TV news in general not a reliable source of information.

The difference, is that most spanish stations will release informatin that they haven't confirmed yet, acting as if it was true. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I could probably call in saying that someone shot the pope, and they might say something about it. US news agencies usually make sure their informatin is relatively solid before using it, although sometimes they have been known to skip that step...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.