Apple to reshow "1984 commercial" in superbowl

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by applemacdude, Jan 21, 2003.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Accrding to Telemundo (Spanish Channel), apple paid 2.2 million to show the1984 commercial near halftime. According to them. even showed the commercial.

2. vniow macrumors G4

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

For this Superbowl, I assume?

This would be:

1) strange... as the 1984 commercial is a bit dated...

2) huge news... should be elsewhere.

arn

4. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

where do you find out who bought superbowl time... ive seen others mention it on this site... even just to see who did buy time even if its not apple...

5. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

they preshowed 2 commercials apple's and bud's sexy commercial. but idont think its reliable. they are always making stuff up. ex: 9/11 2airplanes hit the tower at the same time. god! oh, i mean bob:rolleyes:

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

only thing i have found so far is that matrix 2 trailer will be playing during the superbowl.

iJon

7. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

Along with the Matrix Reloaded trailer should be the new Hulk trailer, the new X2 trailer, possibly a new Daredevil trailer and a Charlie's Angels 2 trailer. Oh, and a new Terminator 3 trailer.

Other than that, I haven't been able to find a list of advetisers other than the above for the Superbowl.

New commercial or not, I'm sure Apple will have quite a few commercials in there somewhere.

enoch

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

are you kidding, a couple in there, at 2.2 million a piece. i think not. very cool though if they did, doubtful in my opinion.

iJon

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Spanish TV is not the most reliable source of information. They've been known to say tings without a proof of evidence. Trust me. It's not as bad as propaganda, it's just weird... Life on the edge, I guess.

10. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Si muchacho! El chupacabras es de verdad! Yo lo vi en Telemundo. Todos los campesinos que entrevistaron dijeron que ellos lo vieron.

Latin TV is definetly not the source for exact info. Sorry. It's the truth.

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

Apple has to have one during the superbowl.

my pc friends died after seeing ads for the 12" and 17" powerbooks in various newspapers and magazines.

Can't wait to see their faces when they watch the superbowl!

12. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

El chupacabras es de verdad:D Especially local spanish news. oh well:rolleyes: what are you going to do about it?:cool: Especially telemudo and that fake as show, wannabe jerry springer laura

13. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

LOL!!!! That's right I forgot all those corny Jerry like shows! Man that's funny!
    Anyhow- back to the topic. "1984" would be cool in 2003, but something needs to change to have an impact on this economy. Why run such an expensive ad that really does not sell much? It'll excite the mac community, but we're sold already.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

That's a bogus report. The only ads remaining are for the fourth quarter (if those aren't sold yet). There's no way they'd just now get the pre-halftime slot. We would have long ago heard about it.

Anyway, why would rerunning the 1984 ad do any good? It's a 20-year-old Mac. If anything, they would run a revised version with new models.

They won't do it this year, anyway. Makes more sense to do it next year, on the 20th anniversary--but it would be some sort of redo even than.

[Edit:] Also, see yesterday's Wall St. J. (marketplace Section), which lists the ads. No apple.

15. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

übergeek : love your sig! hahaha!!

My gf is jealous of my dual 1.25 too....sometimes....

but then I take care of her :cool:

16. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

17. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

From the same website.

For those that are curious, these are the top ten ads.

18. yosoyjay macrumors regular

Seems that they are just like ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and FOX. In fact I think Telemundo (or is it Univision?) is owned by NBC. I guess TV news in general not a reliable source of information.

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

The difference, is that most spanish stations will release informatin that they haven't confirmed yet, acting as if it was true. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I could probably call in saying that someone shot the pope, and they might say something about it. US news agencies usually make sure their informatin is relatively solid before using it, although sometimes they have been known to skip that step...