Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Not buying any Mac without a discrete GPU. Intel GPUs are bad, check out the HDMI issues with the HD4000 on the Mini that haven't really been resolved 100%.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That must be the reason, why we see more and more ARM code in the system frameworks on opensource.apple.com. :rolleyes:

The reason is the frameworks are shared accross iOS and OS X. iOS is built on top of Darwin, like OS X. They've always been "converged" and "merged" and what have you.

People thinking "it's coming!" are wrong, it's always been the same OS with a different UI grafted on top.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I tell the sales & genius bar people at Apple things like what you say & they just laugh at me & tell me that Apple is just a consumer electronics company & not about choice or upgradeability. So your choices will be like mine, a Frankentosh, Linux or Windows. That means that Apple can just become an iToy manufacturer & we can take the road that best fits our needs. I currently own 2 of the last 17" MacBook Pros that Apple made. Now we'll see if there will be a new MacBook Pro to be purchased by me. At this point I would say no. I'm 67 now. My Macs will run for 10 years or more. Because I mainly do income taxes & accounting I could very easy run on a Windows system like about 99% in my field do. All I need to run is Excel, QuickBooks & my efiling program. The efiling program is Windows only. This means that I can operate without the Mac, but not without Windows. S far Apple is doing all that it can to force me to leave the Mac User Group. I've only run MS-DOS & Windows on Macs. I started out with a Mac 128 in 1984. I just hope that I can make my current Macs run for at least another 10 years. Then I will have to either say good-by to Apple or buy the current Apple "Toy."

It's times like this I'm glad I'm a Windows user. (I have nothing against Macs but they're not for me)

I don't have to worry about a single vendor deciding my future in terms of hardware and capabilities.

I can build my own monster video editing rig without wondering when (if) Apple will finally get around to updating the Mac Pro.

Sure I'm not using "workstation-class" Xeon processors... but that's my choice. I have a choice.

The iMac used to be an incredible machine. But good grief... the last update was ridiculous. A super "thin" desktop? A glued together chassis? SD card slot on the back? Soldered RAM? No DVD drive? (yes I still use them) :D

Tough times ahead for the Mac faithful...

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
It's times like this I'm glad I'm a Windows user. (I have nothing against Macs but they're not for me)

I don't have to worry about a single vendor deciding my future in terms of hardware and capabilities.

I can build my own monster video editing rig without wondering when (if) Apple will finally get around to updating the Mac Pro.

Sure I'm not using "workstation-class" Xeon processors... but that's my choice. I have a choice.

The iMac used to be an incredible machine. But good grief... the last update was ridiculous. A super "thin" desktop? A glued together chassis? SD card slot on the back? Soldered RAM? No DVD drive? (yes I still use them) :D

The 2012 imac was the strongest update to the imac line in at least 5 generations.

I'm not sure when this mythical age of the powerhouse imac was? Guess I must have missed it (or it never existed in the first place).

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
No reason to believe it'll happen, but I sure would like to see the return of the 17" form factor :) With retina would be tasty.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
I could care less about any of it, but what are you going to hook it up to? The retarded 27 inch tb! In any case, who cares, let the billionaires at apple play more greedy games with the populace. I am leaving for the pacific islands for 8 months next year and without the comp.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I personally feel that IOS and OSX won't converge in the Microsoft sense that Apple creates a one unified OS for both their mac and mobile lines. Rather, we may simply be seeing an option to run IOS apps on our mac, as well as more IOS'ified features.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Would this also mean a new OS, perhaps even iOS for desktops, removal of bootcamp (as its no longer intel chips) turning the macbook line into big iOS devices with keyboards attached ?

my fear is this seems to be where apple wants to go with its product lines..

i hope its going to be an Intel CPU/GPU and not a proprietary Axxx chipset, i like my Apple products, but all of them have been split 50/50 and Windows installed on them so i can actually use them for work and some gaming.

I use apples OS pretty much solely to handle my large iTunes library, emails and web browsing, and video editing. Gaming and work gets done via windoze (although my company has just struck a deal that means i can get office for mac for £8 which will help a lot.
Who uses windows for work? Its not even secure. I know for my job Windows isnt even considered serious for my profession....and if you mean to simply use some word processing, email, spreadsheet, and slide show type software any iPad can do that already....just sayin...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The 2012 imac was the strongest update to the imac line in at least 5 generations.

I'm not sure when this mythical age of the powerhouse imac was? Guess I must have missed it (or it never existed in the first place).

My point was... Macs are becoming appliances.

Plus... in desktops you only have the choice of the cigar-box Mini... or the glued-together all-in-one iMac... or the super expensive, seldom updated workstation Mac Pro.

This may be just my opinion here... but I don't like those options :)

But yes... the current iMac is one hell of a machine.

I'm obviously not a fan of all-in-ones... and I'm still not convinced you need a "thinner" desktop either.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011

exactly what made the recent update to the imac the "strongest update"?

Other than getting thinner it was your standard cpu/gpu update.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Who uses windows for work? Its not even secure. I know for my job Windows isnt even considered serious for my profession....and if you mean to simply use some word processing, email, spreadsheet, and slide show type software any iPad can do that already....just sayin...

Isn't enterprise a HUGE market for Windows? :confused:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Agreed. We are force-fed a resolution (and the resulting price) some of us don't need, on top of that, we are now facing ANOTHER processor switch, which will likely make a lot of our prior software obsolete.

I'm just tired....

If you dont want a company to innovate there is always MSFT.

----------

And a several hundred dollar price increase.

The article didnt say anything about a price increase.

----------

Isn't enterprise a HUGE market for Windows? :confused:

The point is this...the whole I use windows for work is just that...marketing. Most of those saying that arent doing anything that they cant do with a mac. In many cases it can be done better with a mac. Thats the point.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
My Late 2008 uMBP is still chugging along strong no doubt due to the ability to upgrade RAM and HDD (currently at 8gb, 750gb). I don't want to pay $2k+ for a disposable laptop that is planned to be obsolete in 2 years time.

You wouldn't be paying that much. You'd be able to resell that MacBook for more than half what you paid.

I sold my 2008 factory stock aluminum MacBook this last summer for $600 locally. I paid $1450 CAD. if a MacBook can hold almost half it's value in four years, your theoretical MacBook would be worth even more.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The point is this... the whole I use windows for work is just that... marketing. Most of those saying that arent doing anything that they cant do with a mac. In many cases it can be done better with a mac. Thats the point.

Wait... using Windows for work is just marketing?

So all those corporate accounts Dell and HP have are just smoke and mirrors?

I'm confused... you really think people don't use Windows for work?

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009

Aerospace, Pentagon, Armed Forces, FBI, and most other major private and govt industries all use windows. Just saying...

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I think he said that competitors' 7" tablets were not ideal.

And I agree. 7" 16:9 tablets are too narrow in portrait and too short in landscape.

Even though 4:3 is "outdated" I still think it's great for tablets.

----------

Apple has never been afraid of selling high-priced computers.

Their laptops start at $1000 in a world where $500 Windows PCs are the norm.

I don't think market share is their ultimate goal...
4:3 ratio is not outdated for everything else besides video. If anything 16:9 ratio with video is nothing more than hollywood and movie industry marketing.

----------

Aerospace, Pentagon, Armed Forces, FBI, and most other major private and govt industries all use windows. Just saying...

Read the full post to get the full context then respond. Most of what people are doing these days can be done on a mac just as well and in many cases better. The government uses Windows software for menial tasks and unix platforms for more heavy duty stuff....

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Read the full post to get the full context then respond. Most of what people are doing these days can be done on a mac just as well and in many cases better. The government uses Windows software for menial tasks and unix platforms for more heavy duty stuff....

Oh I see.

Well yes... anything you can do on Windows you can certainly do on a Mac.

But most companies are using Windows.

Earlier you asked who is using Windows for work?

TONS of companies...

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
exactly what made the recent update to the imac the "strongest update"?

Other than getting thinner it was your standard cpu/gpu update.

In addition to the upgraded CPU and GPU, there was a doubling of ram (standard), doubling of HDD (standard) with option for "fusion drive", 75% glare reduction for screen, brand new form factor, etc.

T'was the most impressive imac update in years.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Why read MacRumors?

I'm not trolling around "WinRumors" (if it exists) - wondering why someone without a Mac or Mac-lust is here...

I wouldnt count Apple out with "tough times ahead" having seen and played with Win8 in store. I find it somewhat weird that MacOS is now much more like Win7 than Win8 is. LOL.

Tough times I think but maybe for MS.

(And I have owned and still do quite a few Windows PCs so I have nothing against them)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm not trolling around "WinRumors" (if it exists) - wondering why someone without a Mac or Mac-lust is here...

I wouldnt count Apple out with "tough times ahead" having seen and played with Win8 in store. I find it somewhat weird that MacOS is now much more like Win7 than Win8 is. LOL.

Tough times I think but maybe for MS.

(And I have owned and still do quite a few Windows PCs so I have nothing against them)

That's why I said "I have nothing against Macs but they're not for me"

And I was speaking more to the point about hardware... not a particular version of Windows.

I'm skipping Windows 8... 7 is fine for me. I can build a computer using whatever hardware I choose without a single company making decisions for me.

And I love my iPhone ;) and Apple news in general. That's why I'm here.

It's just heartbreaking seeing such unusual decisions Apple makes in terms of desktop "trucks" if you will.

Just so you know... I was replying to someone who also questioned Apple's decisions with the Mac. That's why I jumped in.

I'd never start an OS "dickwaving" war in here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.