Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
A netbook would be too crappy for apple

not necessarily. remember even Jobs didn't discount the notion. IF they could design one that fit within Apple's design game

and a tablet that is somewhere between an ipod and an open faced air, with built in 3g and wifi, designed just for the core 'Net' activities (ie, not things like photoshop, final cut etc), perhaps even running an modified version of OS X or even the iPhone OS (with its own app store providing new and modified versions of iphone apps) could fit that bill.

certainly this rumor hit a believable price and time of release. which makes it sound more possible than previous rumors. and who knows, next we might see rumors of being able to get a carrier subsidy on the 'tablet' if you sign up for a data line on ATT etc

given that there are a number of folks out there that are only interested in a computer for email, web browser, perhaps ichat/aim stuff, a netbook is perfect for them.

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
It'll be cool to see what this is... but I don't imagine it's anything I want. Between the MBP and the iPT, I can pretty well handle all my light and heavy computing needs.

Apple is pretty good at surprising us with cool new products though, so who knows it could be pretty awesome... whatever it is. :)

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
$799 would be a good start. I wouldn't pay that for a netbook though.

Apple technically already makes a netbook. It is just too big and expensive. Plus the idea of netbook is smaller footprint, not thickness.

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
my guess is that this will take over the macbook name. i dont know what will happen to the current white macbook. all im hoping for is a touchscreen and a physical keyboard. maybe even an adjustable screen that fold over the keyboard and become a tablet.

Keep dreaming about the physical keyboard. Nobody seems to be paying attention to what Apple has been saying and planning for a good while now. :rolleyes:

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
$799 would be a good start. I wouldn't pay that for a netbook though.

Apple technically already makes a netbook. It is just too big and expensive. Plus the idea of netbook is smaller footprint, not thickness.

Well of course you wouldn't pay that for a netbook.
It's a good thing then that Apple's product won't be a netbook!
It will be a product category unto itself. *sigh* Please try to keep up people. It has only been proclaimed for YEARS now that Apple's product won't be a netbook or a "tablet" in the traditional sense but because we have no other words to describe what Apple is doing we have to use "netbook" or "tablet" to refer to Apple's new product.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Just out of interest, if a 9.7" screen does appear in any product, what maximum resolution are we talking about here?

JayMan8081

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Dayton, OH
I'm going to say that this is waaayyyy overpriced if true. And how useful would a touchscreen netbook be at only 9.7"? Apple needs to stick with high-end machines and not try to go in-between low-end mass market machines and high-end. It leaves their offerings in no-man's land. Unless this thing ends up being incredibly lightweight why wouldn't someone just buy the white macbook?

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Keep dreaming about the physical keyboard. Nobody seems to be paying attention to what Apple has been saying and planning for a good while now. :rolleyes:

Exactly. This sin't going to be a "netbook" but rather a tablet. No keyboard, more than likely the same ports as the MBA, bluetooth/wifi/GPS/and possibly a built in 3g option.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
All I want for Christmas :D

If true it could only be a touch screen tablet. AKA no keyboard...

Think of it being about as big as that mouse pad you may be using right now...

I think Macbook Air is already the Apple Netbook.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
I'm going to say that this is waaayyyy overpriced if true. And how useful would a touchscreen netbook be at only 9.7"? Apple needs to stick with high-end machines and not try to go in-between low-end mass market machines and high-end. It leaves their offerings in no-man's land. Unless this thing ends up being incredibly lightweight why wouldn't someone just buy the white macbook?

I have a better question, why do so many people buy netbooks and eventually hackintosh them? There is a market for a smaller, lighter, less powerful macbook.

And for the overpriced bit, people still buy the Sony Vaio P, Considering that youll have to pay 500+ for a touchscreen netbook/notebook, i don't see $800.00 considering its coming with OSX and will more than likely have some iPhone attributes.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I'm all for a netbook as long as it has a full size keyboard and doesn't perform like crap, i.e. it'll run intensive iMovie renderings in a reasonable time.

Apple won't make anything without a full size keyboard (except the iPhone). It's been a selling point of Apple notebooks for years.

I won't buy it if it has a single core Atom or a dual core Atom. I want a Core 2 Duo or better.

And I don't want to pay a premium for it. These days Apple uses the same parts as everyone else so I don't see why It can't be ~$400. But someone, can't remember who, said Apple doesn't know how to make a sub-$500 computer that isn't a piece of crap.

I don't want I don't want... You obviously don't want a netbook. You are NOT the market that netbooks cater to. If you want all that, buy a MacBook Pro.

I for one don't want this at all. I want a full blown tablet. Touch screen, OSX, the end. One solid device. No physical keyboard. Now that, I'd shell out the bucks for.

Vulpinemac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2007
Your opinion implies a standard netbook form factor.

A 9.7 inch screen suggests a SMALL keyboard. I know they mention touchscreen, but one of the biggest complaints I've read on netbooks is their small, non-standard-sized keyboards. If Apple wants to introduce a netbook I was hoping for something with an 11" or 12" display and a standard sized keyboard (or one that is very close to standard size). Sure, they could use a small screen and have a big bezel surrounding it, but that would just be stupid (IMO).

I can almost guarantee that Apple's device (I refuse to call it a 'Netbook') will not have a conventional keyboard. In fact, I expect it won't have any keyboard at all; not a physical one, anyway. A virtual keyboard similar to that in the iPhone/iPod Touch is most likely, perhaps with a couple of USB connectors to permit use of an external keyboard/mouse combination. The fact that it has been reported many times that the device will use a touch screen pretty much guarantees no physical keyboard.

If this thing opens like a clamshell at all, I expect it will open like a book, not like your conventional laptop form factor. I also expect the cover will be exactly that and nothing more--a simple cover to protect the glass and maybe help provide a stand for hands-free viewing.

Anybody remember the old Star Trek "Padd"? This may be the closest thing to that concept since the original Newton.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Well, that sounds kinda promising. I doubt Apple would bother with a keyboard though. If you're on a laptop (notebook) computer right now, go ahead and draw imaginary smileys on the display for 20 seconds. See what I mean? a slanted touch screen with no palm support is an ergonomic nightmare. And netbook keyboards are usually too small and don't have enough action (distance to travel inward) to be used to type comfortably.

I'd put my money on a dedicated couch computing device. Something that's not too heavy to lift casually with one hand from the couch table, very thin (d'uh, it's Apple) and just enough horsepower to surf the web. Think iPod touch for the living room. Put it in its dock on the living room table and use it as an iChat phone with the built-in camera and mic. Use it as a high quality digital picture frame, universal TV remote, play chess on it. Just a fun toy.

Wilches

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
I belive apple netbook will be using a hybrid iphone macbook design

the 9,2 screen can fit a fully functional touch-keybord like the one on the iphone.

If u want a cheap mac netbook it will have a standart atom processor and don't get a lot of hope for a nvidia graphic card.

I dont know if the touch keybord is a good idea but I know the all netbook keybords sucks... so at least is diferente..

And i belive that with the new battery tecnology apple could be creating a netbook with 8 or 9h of wi-fi use.

What to u want more from a netbook.

PS- if they don't put a 3g card on it they will be very very stupid!

edit... I remember I saw a pic like this one on the macrumors page sometime ago....
http://www.macazin.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/apple-netbook-studie.jpg
my 2 cents

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Piece of crap worthless for everything except the Internet.

Also, I don't believe this. Apple touts a full-size keyboard, and you can't HAVE THAT on a computer this small.

And more powerful than that mac laptop we were editing video on a few years ago. I love peoples definition of useless. They aren't THAT underpowered. I mean if we're playing games and processing soca and images on our phones how bad can they be? More often, they are lacking ports and optical drive. They are basically what the air should have been- underpowered cheap and small. Not underpowered , expensivesive and light. The air isn't that small IMO. Just thin.

dave94703

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Core cpu, osx makes no sense

i don't see $800.00 considering its coming with OSX and will more than likely have some iPhone attributes.

$800 for osx with an optional physical keyboard would compete with mba. They have established the itouch platform so rapidly, I can't see them using osx (much as I'd like them to; I'd buy one immediately, one more if it really ran all my osx stuff productively).

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My wife is going to need a new computer soon because her Dell is falling apart. This would be a perfect fit because she doesn't need a large amount of processing power. Although this would also be convenient to take notes on in class...especially if I can use it like a notepad.

I bet it will have an app store.

I'd pay $1500 for one with a good processor / gpgpu, video output, and a pressure sensitive display, similar to a Cintiq.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.