Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by CNET, Apple today updated its environmental site with updated data for 2011, revealing a few tidbits of new information about the company's work on energy usage and other topics.

apple_maiden_data_center.jpg

Apple's data center in Maiden, North Carolina
Among the additions is a brief discussion of the company's massive new data center in Maiden, North Carolina, which Apple touts as being the only such facility of comparable size to earn LEED Platinum certification. The company also notes that the solar farm being built across the street from the facility will be the largest user-owned solar array in the United States, registering at 20 megawatts. Finally, Apple will also be powering the facility with a 5-megawatt fuel cell installation, the largest in the country not owned by a utility company. Additional details are available in the company's facilities report (PDF).
Our new data center in Maiden, North Carolina, demonstrates our commitment to reducing the environmental impact of our facilities through energy-efficient, green building design. The facility has earned the coveted LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. We know of no other data center of comparable size that has achieved this level of LEED certification. Our goal is to run the Maiden facility with high percentage renewable energy mix, and we have major projects under way to achieve this -- including building the nation's largest end user-owned solar array and building the largest nonutility fuel cell installation in the United States.
Still, rapid growth in the company's sales have caused Apple's carbon footprint to balloon, with greenhouse gas emissions increasing by 56% from 14.8 million metric tons in 2010 to 23.1 million metric tons in 2011. The biggest swings in terms of share of Apple's carbon footprint come from product use itself, which declined from 45% of the company's use to just 30%, and manufacturing, which increased from 45% to 61% between 2010 and 2011. But even with the rapid growth in carbon footprint, Apple touts that greenhouse gas emissions per dollar of revenue have decreased by 15.4 percent since 2008.

apple_2011_carbon_footprint.jpg

Among other additions in Apple's 2011 environmental report, the company touts increased usage of "environmentally conscious materials" such as repolymerized plastic bottles in fan assemblies, recycled plastic in speaker assembles and internal brackets, recycled paper in packing, and renewable tapioca paper foam in iPhone packages.

Article Link: Apple Touts Plans for Massive Solar Farm and Fuel Cell Facilities at North Carolina Data Center

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Other companies doing this: none.
Other tech companies inviting the media into their factories: none.
Company getting all the flak: Apple.

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Agreed.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

They may be trying to be more transparent, but they are still behind HP, Dell and Nokia according to Greenpeace's ratings:

http://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2011/11/09/hp-leads-greenpeaces-relaunched-green-electronics-rankings

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

so true

ggg05a

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
I think this "green" kick is nothing but marketing.

I would love to see how much of that solar farm was allocated to "Marketing Expense." Furthermore while possible with "instant on" diesel generators, I would also imagine this solar farm secondary (primary perhaps) justification is energy independence of the power grid. Can one imagine the outcry if there was a power outage, and everyone everywhere lost their iCloud.

It would be a RIM-style failure that I believe Apple is trying to prevent, while trying to appear "green" at the same time.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Perfectly stated.

And Apple is weathering the storm like a champ. It's what happens when you've won over the consumer with the consistently best products in the biz.

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
I wonder how much damage those data centers and solar panels did to the wildlife in NC. So much for protecting the environment!

Just kidding, just kidding, who cares :)

-Sent from my iPad 2 :apple:;)

Lareson

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
2007:
green-guide-banner2.gif

2011:
Greenpeace%20Guide%20to%20Greener.jpg

Apple has certainly improved, but are more open about what they're doing than the 3 that are above them. It's shifted from 2007, but you can get that companies are now showing what they're doing now, so they ratings are lower than what they used to be.

HP I can understand being more green cause they sell more products that are recyclable. Ink cartridges are the biggest recycled product, because they include shipping envelopes with new cartridges and you can even request free ones that hold more than just 1 cartridge.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

The larger and more powerful Apple becomes the more this will continue. Mostly due to jealously, lake of creative thinking, lack of vision, lack of setting your goals 10 years down the road, and a few dozen more.

Tim is the correct person to be CEO. I would be more concerned if Steve was still CEO.

Relax, enjoy the ride, and DO NOT sell your AAPL. ;)

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia

If only governments would learn from Apple. The world would be a cleaner, safer and more beautiful place.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I think this "green" kick is nothing but marketing.

I would love to see how much of that solar farm was allocated to "Marketing Expense." Furthermore while possible with "instant on" diesel generators, I would also imagine this solar farm secondary (primary perhaps) justification is energy independence of the power grid. Can one imagine the outcry if there was a power outage, and everyone everywhere lost their iCloud.

It would be a RIM-style failure that I believe Apple is trying to prevent, while trying to appear "green" at the same time.

Looks like you will have to do without technology when the world runs out of oil if you think like that.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
They may be trying to be more transparent, but they are still behind HP, Dell and Nokia according to Greenpeace's ratings:

http://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2011/11/09/hp-leads-greenpeaces-relaunched-green-electronics-rankings

Yes but when the solar farm goes into play Apple will wipe the rest off the chart

----------

They messed up and forgot something,

Lawyers 1%

I don't understand how lawyers contribute to environmental destruction?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Perfectly stated.

And Apple is weathering the storm like a champ. It's what happens when you've won over the consumer with the consistently best products in the biz.

Except that its already been proven that Dell, HP and Nokia do more than Apple to lower their footprint.

I'll give it to Apple, they are reducing their carbon footprint which is great, but they are behind when compared to other companies, thats why Greenpeace went after them a few years ago, and despite what people may think of the Hippy club, they got Apple to change.

Make no mistake here, Apple isnt concerned about their footprint, they just happened to need solar cells on the datacenter. A lot of large datacenters are doing this as a quicker and more reliable method than disel backups.

The Marketing team just took it as an opportunity to publicise that they are being green by using solar power.

If they really cared, they would have solar panels on their more open roofed stores and on the Apple campus, in addition to buying into a carbon credit scheme.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010

Sadly as long as apple keeps getting more and more powerful this will continue to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.