Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
"overlapping function" = Finally being able to fire the slackers without the ramifications of doing do.;)

200 people just lost their job and means of income. No need to be a self-righteous dick about it. This stuff happens, but try to have a heart once in awhile. I can't believe you're currently the top comment. So fortunate that no one here has ever faced hardships like these 200 "slackers" who you coincidentally know nothing about.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
damn so this apple beats thing is sticking. The school boy in me still hopes for the headline. Apple Beats off Over Dre

:D

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
its a set up

Apple acquire beats just for this purpose only... they don't like people so they just "get rid of them" AFTER they were interested in something..

Bose sues Beats over noise cancelling headphones, then Apple acquires them.

Sounds like somethings happening here.

Are you saying Apple spent billions of dollars to fire a few people? :eek:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Are you saying Apple spent billions of dollars to fire a few people? :eek:

I would since the this was done only shorter after they acquired.

Were only talking a few days here or so... not exactly months.

Apple wouldn't have a goal of making their macs cool with beats built in...... I can't see them doing that.

Although, would be good.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Hopefully it's the 200 people responsible for making the Beats products sound terrible.

They don't sound terrible... they sound weaker than what you can buy for that money but not terrible. What's terrible is the $5 earphones that you buy at the cash register at target or CVS...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
200 people just lost their job and means of income. No need to be a self-righteous dick about it. This stuff happens, but try to have a heart once in awhile. I can't believe you're currently the top comment. So fortunate that no one here has ever faced hardships like these 200 "slackers" who you coincidentally know nothing about.

We don't know how many, if any, will ultimately lose their jobs. According to Billboard every Beats employee is going through new employee orientation at Apple and is getting healthcare benefits.

stevejobz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2014
Unfortunately this is business. Every company big or small when acquired by another party will go through this phase and the people that are weak links will be phased out. Survival of the fittest.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Unfortunately this is business. Every company big or small when acquired by another party will go through this phase and the people that are weak links will be phased out. Survival of the fittest.

Exactly right. That's why it pays to be a good employee that is involved in a lot of different areas in the company and isn't one of the people openly whining about the acquisition.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I am sure that this is more about Apple just wanting the Beats intellectual property and obviously could care less about the Beats brand or products. I mean Apple has over 90k employees and they want to grow even further. I am sure that there is not a lot of "overlap" from 200 employees that they could not find a home for at Apple Inc.

Sure, it is pretty normal, but Apple prides themselves by supposedly "Thinking Different", and so its just disappointing that a company with the profit levels and size of Apple can't find a home for 200 employees they just acquired.

Hopefully the severance is at least amazing.

So because Apple makes a certain amount, they should essentially manufacture fake jobs for people to be nice? How is that fair to EVERY other employee at Apple, or EVERY potential applicant who actually DOES bring along something they need?

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010

One day you'll learn how business really works. Until then stay foolish. Er naive. :rolleyes:

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

How about you write them all checks or hire them, since you're on this crusade. Most of us make a concerted effort to be valuable in multiple ways to a company, specifically because, as responsible people, we are making sure we DON'T face this situation. Besides, how do YOU know anything about these supposed hardships? Did they visit you and tell you about it at the soup kitchen?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I would since the this was done only shorter after they acquired.

Were only talking a few days here or so... not exactly months.

Apple wouldn't have a goal of making their macs cool with beats built in...... I can't see them doing that.

Although, would be good.

They got rid of them not long after because their job is already done by someone at Apple. They overlap. No need to keep them.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
While I am not anti Dr Dre, Beats do suck and this deal was overpriced, much like ALL Apple products.

GO APPLE!

PS, I own lots of Apple products, but will never buy Beats, even if Apple owns them and again, NOT because I am anti Dr Dre or Iovine.

Never? What if they doubled the sound quality, made them more compact and lowered the price to $199.00?

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Funny. I'm setting up a client's new HP laptop. There's a very prominent "beatsaudio" logo on the machine. Strange world we live in where an Apple-(soon to be)-owned company's logo is on an HP computer.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am sure that this is more about Apple just wanting the Beats intellectual property and obviously could care less about the Beats brand or products. I mean Apple has over 90k employees and they want to grow even further. I am sure that there is not a lot of "overlap" from 200 employees that they could not find a home for at Apple Inc.

Sure, it is pretty normal, but Apple prides themselves by supposedly "Thinking Different", and so its just disappointing that a company with the profit levels and size of Apple can't find a home for 200 employees they just acquired.

Hopefully the severance is at least amazing.

Well, they run a business, not a charity. Why wouldn't they allocate the money for the 200 salaries, insurances, benefits etc. and put it towards a new product team, for example?

I'm clearly speculating, but let's say they have salaries of 100k plus 50k on the other stuff. 150k times 200 = 30 Million. That's a lot of money, even for someone like Apple.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
So you interpreted "most of the job cuts will be in human resources, finance, and other areas where there is overlap between Apple and Beats staff." as a "kill it" move? :rolleyes:

Apple doesn't need Beats at all. What is Beats good at? NOTHING.

Apple's acquisition is only for their customers and patents.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
its funny how 2-3 guys can get 2-3 billions while 200 aint even worth a job. Just shows how wrongly balanced our society is. Nobody is worth that more than any other person, even if his excrement is worth its weight in gold. The world is twisted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.