Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun rolling out iTunes web previews for Apple TV apps, allowing Apple TV users and developers alike to easily share links to Apple TV apps on the web. The change was first spotted by Slide to Play's Jeff Scott (via MacStories).

disneyappletvwebpreview.png

Previously, Apple only had iTunes web previews enabled for iOS and Mac OS X apps, making it very difficult for users of the fourth-generation Apple TV to share their favorite apps on the web as well as for developers to promote their apps on their websites and social media accounts.

Although the feature is still rolling out, it appears it's limited to tvOS-only apps thus far. Kevin MacLeod of AfterPad told MacStories "that while the iTunes API is now returning screenshot metadata for tvOS-only apps, that metadata is absent for iOS apps with tvOS support."

Two of the first apps to feature web previews are currently Disney Infinity 3.0 and Beergeek.com TV. While these previews offer users and developers a way to see what an Apple TV app looks like or what features it has, they do not include any way for users to take any action.

Article Link: Apple TV Apps Can Now Be Previewed on the Web

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2015
What about some sort of update notification badge kinda thingy?

I mean what's an App Store without an updates page/system. My Netflix app updates about every two 10 - 14 days or so. You really have to go inside the App Store on your Apple TV > view Netflix App content and see if the Download button says Update instead.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
About damn time.
I own a 3rd gen ATV and I never understood why:
1. ATV Apps could not be searched over the web
2. Could only be searched ON THE ATV (through it's IMHO clunky interface)

I'm not a huge fan of the remote (swipe).

When I asked few people at the Apple store they had no answer for me, well they had answer that I can browse that stuff on ATV.

How are professionals (and regular people) supposed to spread the word about a good app? Oh, let me have you purchase ATV then search ABC then click on XYZ, and then choose the 3rd one down....

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Finally.

Seriously, it's such a pain to do any kind of deep search on the TV itself past basically browsing the first layer of the recommended apps that this is really going to help.

I honestly have no idea how anybody would find anything on AppleTV unless it was either recommended by Apple or they were told explicitly to search for it.

Reactions: atikalz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
OK, preview pages for ATV apps on the web. That's nice I suppose. But...

- Can you search the ATV app store from the web?
- Can you browse app charts from the web that are category and country specific?

As a non-ATV4-owner these are the things I want to enable me to decide if and when to purchase the ATV4.

Reactions: BJMRamage

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
More importantly, can we now download apps on our Mac (via iTunes?) and will they appear on ATV similarly to how they appear on iOS devices?
What a mess... Very disappointed in ATV4. Still waiting for a killer app.

I hope they have been secretly working on a make-over these past years and will present it on WWDC with
- a unified way to download and manage apps on all devices
- a new iTunes (finally split up in several apps?)
- Handoff support with the iOS Music app
- a new iOS Remote app

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
That's great for ATV. For iOS, wish there was a way to preview or test paid-for apps before making an actual purchase.

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
I just want a full-on web App Store, so you can browse the entire store from any device, buy apps/games/music/movies/etc., and simply hit a "Send to iDevice" button to get your purchase automatically to the device of your choice. Just like how Sony allows you to buy games online, then queue it to download to your PS4, or like Amazon allows you to send books to your Kindle from the web store.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
"Limited to tvOS only apps..."

Ummmm, Disney Infinity is available on iOS devices... Unless there's a difference between Disney Infinity and Disney Infinity Toy Box: 3.0... Correct me if I'm wrong

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
"Limited to tvOS only apps..."

Ummmm, Disney Infinity is available on iOS devices... Unless there's a difference between Disney Infinity and Disney Infinity Toy Box: 3.0... Correct me if I'm wrong

I think the iOS and Apple TV apps are separate apps, not a single universal one. At least, the iOS version doesn't seem to list Apple TV compatibility on the iOS App Store.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
I just want a full-on web App Store, so you can browse the entire store from any device, buy apps/games/music/movies/etc., and simply hit a "Send to iDevice" button to get your purchase automatically to the device of your choice. Just like how Sony allows you to buy games online, then queue it to download to your PS4, or like Amazon allows you to send books to your Kindle from the web store.
My God!

This is such a logical idea that you will never see it implemented because it's too logical for Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.