Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Yes, but how do you know that you LIKE the Office? If you only used the AppleTV you'd have never seen a commercial for it. How do you hear about them for the first time, and then choose to watch it.

Most of the shows I watch now, I watch because I saw a commercial for it while I was watching another show. Know what I mean?

I realize there are many solutions to my question. I'm just making a point.

The AppleTV, by design, keeps you disconnected from advertisements. I wouldn't change it for anything, but I can totally see the benefit of commercials too. They keep you up-to-date with what is being offered, what is for sale, etc.

I am wondering if people without TV/Cable, and just AppleTV, feel a bit more disconnected from their peers/the world.

You can preview any show on ATV. I haven't had cable for over a decade, yet I've always managed to find cable shows I like. It's called word of mouth. And no- I don't feel disconnected. I feel smart for not wasting so much cash on monthly cable fees. I would never spend as much on ATV as I would on cable- not even close.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
itunes should really jump on getting HD content for the tv shows. Lost and Heroes in 720p goodness would set it over the top.

i have directv because sometimes i am lazy and just want to channel surf to see what's on. i like not being in control all the time. but if i want to see something specific, i just throw on the apple tv.

off in the wood

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
probably been discussed some where here (did a quick search but to no avail)

I don't see why somebody would buy an atv over a mac mini? Doesn't the mac mini do the exact same thing as the atv and then some?

here's my situation, I have a 360 and ps3 (both used for gaming, while watching blu-ray on the ps3) setup in my living room. My tv is an hdtv but technically is a monitor. Recently, I have been contemplating buying an atv, but then was thinking well...for $300 more I can get basically a whole computer (obviously without mouse/keyboard/monitor), so why buy an atv?

Am I correct in my description of the atv, just a lesser,cheaper mac mini? Can the atv do something that the mac mini can't?

Thanks for the insight on this for me

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
^ as far as I know, Front Row doesn't support movie purchases and rentals, iTunes Store browsing (including podcasts) nor does it have YouTube, Flickr connectivity and iPhoto browsing.

:apple:TV is a self contained entertainment device. Mac Mini is a computer. You'd need to use it as a computer and manage it as such which defeats the whole purpose of sitting back on your couch and enjoying your media content.

off in the wood

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
^ as far as I know, Front Row doesn't support movie purchases and rentals, iTunes Store browsing (including podcasts) nor does it have YouTube, Flickr connectivity and iPhoto browsing.

don't see how that can be? I can rent movies, buy movies, buy songs, watch youtube, upload/view iphotos on my imac and mba. So I could do the same with the mac mini

[/QUOTE]apple:TV is a self contained entertainment device. Mac Mini is a computer.[/QUOTE]

but you can do the same stuff on the mac mini

[/QUOTE]you need to use it as a computer and manage it as such which defeats the whole purpose of sitting back on your couch and enjoying your media content.[/QUOTE]

*Apple TV uses a new version of Front Row and also uses the Apple Remote. This version is included with Mac OS X Leopard.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I don't see why somebody would buy an atv over a mac mini? Doesn't the mac mini do the exact same thing as the atv and then some?

Because I don't want another computer. I have a Mac Pro and a MacBook. I don't want a computer hooked up to my television. I want a simple intuitive interface for my media library and for HD rentals. Can you configure the Mac Mini to start up with the simple and clean interface that is Apple TV? Can you get a Mac Mini for $249 (retail... I got mine for about $175)?

I'm very happy with my Apple TV.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
don't see how that can be? I can rent movies, buy movies, buy songs, watch youtube, upload/view iphotos on my imac and mba. So I could do the same with the mac mini

Yes, you're computer can do everything that :apple:TV can do, but not in the same elegant, remote friendly manner.

The purpose of :apple:TV is to take the computer out of the experience of having access to all your media files in a living room setting. If you're ok with pulling out a mouse and keyboard in your living room, get a Mac Mini... but why do that if you can just use your MacBook Air? I'm sure you can find a way to plug it into your big screen.

If you want a remote control, simple interface instead, there's a :apple:TV waiting on a shelf at your nearby Apple store.

Think about having to use a keyboard and mouse to change channels on your TV. Not so elegant when you think about it in those terms. People are used to a remote controller for their entertainment. :apple:TV follows that model.

*Apple TV uses a new version of Front Row and also uses the Apple Remote. This version is included with Mac OS X Leopard.

Wrong. It's quite different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.